Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 AM
Felix Miata

Default Building Custom Modules

A note on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel#head-5658f6db74cec105eb1e6d5481444c2d621e8636
indicates it isn't complete. Can someone complete it, or tell me what's
missing enough that I can build a few F8 modules?
--
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Old 01-02-2008, 03:35 AM
Matt Domsch

On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 11:13:57PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> A note on
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel#head-5658f6db74cec105eb1e6d5481444c2d621e8636
> indicates it isn't complete. Can someone complete it, or tell me what's
> missing enough that I can build a few F8 modules?

What's there is sufficient for personal development purposes. It
doesn't address how to get your modules included in the upstream
kernel.org kernels, so they can be added to Fedora as well.

There are other mechanisms, such as DKMS (yum install dkms) which also
can be used for building kernel modules. The Makefile becomes even
simpler, just the single line:

obj-m := foo.o

and DKMS takes care of the rest.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 AM
Craig White

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 22:35 -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 11:13:57PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> > A note on
> >
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel#head-5658f6db74cec105eb1e6d5481444c2d621e8636
> > indicates it isn't complete. Can someone complete it, or tell me
> what's
> > missing enough that I can build a few F8 modules?
>

> What's there is sufficient for personal development purposes. It
> doesn't address how to get your modules included in the upstream
> kernel.org kernels, so they can be added to Fedora as well.
>
> There are other mechanisms, such as DKMS (yum install dkms) which also
> can be used for building kernel modules. The Makefile becomes even
> simpler, just the single line:
>
> obj-m := foo.o
>
> and DKMS takes care of the rest.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> --
> Matt Domsch
> Linux Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO
> linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux
----
you neglected to mention...and author of dkms

Craig