Old 01-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Jorge Fábregas

Default Sata DVD drives work?

On Tuesday 01 January 2008 06:38:30 pm Tom Horsley wrote:
> Do sata dvd writers work OK in fedora?

Sure!

> (I know, it doesn't do blu-ray and HD-DVD - I don't really
> want to go that wizz-bang just yet, but the double layer
> stuff might be useful sometimes :-).

I'm really looking forward for Blu-ray but I'm wating for prices to come
down I know that Nero for Linux can handle Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

HTH,
Jorge

Old 01-02-2008, 03:00 AM
Richard Shaw

Tom Horsley wrote:

I've pretty much decided that the problems I was seeing with
my DVD drive are indeed hardware problems, so I was thinking
of upgrading to the latest and greatest multi-format wizz-bang
drive I can find, and I see all the newer dvd writers seem to
be exclusively sata interfaces these days.

Do sata dvd writers work OK in fedora?

Specifically I'm looking at the Samsung SH-S203N - anyone used
one in fedora?

Thanks for any info.

(I know, it doesn't do blu-ray and HD-DVD - I don't really
want to go that wizz-bang just yet, but the double layer
stuff might be useful sometimes :-).

Got one of those last week! Used it several times and it has worked
flawlessly. I've got mine connected to an Asus A8N-E w/ nForce4 chipset.
I've pretty much only used K3B for burning but have also used it with
VirtualBox and an XP vm for ripping to HD for my MythTV box as the
internal DVD player and even Xine sometimes seem to choke on some of the
copy protection used today.

Richard

Old 01-02-2008, 08:51 AM
"subhodip biswas"

Hi !
i use a sata dvd writer ,its a asus drw-1814blt. Fedora 7 and 8 has
not shown me any problem . sata drives do work and are really faster
than IDE drives.
-------
Regards
Subhodip Biswas