Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Frank8

Default Trouble installing Linksys WMP54G wireless PCI adapter Fedora 8

I've never installed a wireless adapter on Linux.

The Linksys Wireless-G adapter talks to my router with Windows XP, so the hardware works and is plugged in.

lspci -v tells me I have a

00:08.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Subsystem: Linksys WMP54G ver 4.1
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 20
Memory at ea000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]

iwconfig tells me

00:08.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Subsystem: Linksys WMP54G ver 4.1
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 20
Memory at ea000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]

[root@localhost [1] feri]# lsmod | grep rt
rt61pci 24513 0
rt2x00pci 11201 1 rt61pci
rt2x00lib 21057 2 rt61pci,rt2x00pci
Fedora 8 installed a recent version: 2.0.12

I've tried turning on NetworkManager, but that didn't work. I also tried ifup wlan0. I currently have the router set with no security. Ultimately, I would like to run WEP with a 64 bit hex key.

If I ifup
ifup wlan0
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Determining IP information for wlan0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

At the end of my dmesg, I have many lines that look like this:

phy0 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.

In /var/log/messages

Dec 30 23:37:06 localhost dhclient: wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
Dec 30 23:37:06 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
Dec 30 23:37:06 localhost dhclient: send_packet: Network is down

A little guidance would be really appreciated.

Frank

Links:
------
[1] mailto:root@localhost

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=230709&topic_id=49874&forum= 26#forumpost230709
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame fjalics@gmail.com.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:27 PM
"Mick M."

--- Frank8 <no-reply-gw@fcp.surfsite.org> wrote:

> I've never installed a wireless adapter on Linux.
>
> The Linksys Wireless-G adapter talks to my router with Windows XP, so
> the hardware works and is plugged in.

Frank I can second this.
I was in fact using an x-term to capure the info that you posted when I
read your post.

My results are EXACTLY the same as yours, word for word.
My card is an Edimax EW-7218G.

I have searched the net and tried all kinds of packages.
It got so bad that I had to re-install FC8.

If you get it to work, maybe you get info off-list PLEASE post it here
or email me direct.

Mick M.

Death before Decaf!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Mike

Mick M. <off_by_1 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> My results are EXACTLY the same as yours, word for word.
> My card is an Edimax EW-7218G.

It is not clear from these posts whether you are using the rt2x00 driver
supported in the F8 kernel or not?

I have an Edimax usb wireless adapter that needs the rt73usb driver. The
latest rt2x00 driver contains the above module (rt73usb) plus a number of
others and one of these may support your card?

My adapter works well with the in-kernel rt7usb module - and supports
wpa_supplicant. I have had problems with NetworkManager and avoid it.

Using straighforward "network" and then defining the interface in the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 file allows it to work
with WEP and open APs, and using wpa_supplicant allows it to work with
wpa encrypted APs. Monitor mode is flaky.

I have previously posted my web page on this forum explaining the details
of the setup.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 PM
"Mr.Scrooge"

Wireless is still in growing pains with linux but i have a netgear wireless adapter that uses
madwifi drivers and works very well. Under F7 i had installed a belkin and a linksys at different
times and both worked without much trouble. I would recheck the basics, make sure wireless is
enabled in the network manager for one, everything is plug and play in windows so if that is still
your primary OS then there is tendency to over look some simple stuff. The model of the card does
not matter as much as the chipset it uses.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:37 PM
"Mick M."

--- Mike <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mick M. <off_by_1 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > My results are EXACTLY the same as yours, word for word.
> > My card is an Edimax EW-7218G.
>
> It is not clear from these posts whether you are using the rt2x00
> driver
> supported in the F8 kernel or not?

Hi Mike;
yes it uses the rt2xoo moduke, this is a new clean FC8 install.
Here is some more info:
lspci -v
01:07.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Subsystem: RaLink Unknown device 2561
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 20
Memory at e7000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]

iwconfig
wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption keyff
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

lsmod | grep rt
rt61pci 24641 0
rt2x00pci 11201 1 rt61pci
rt2x00lib 20929 2 rt61pci,rt2x00pci
rfkill 9297 1 rt2x00lib
input_polldev 7369 1 rt2x00lib
mac80211 115789 2 rt2x00pci,rt2x00lib
parport_pc 26981 0
parport 32393 1 parport_pc
gameport 14665 2 ns558
eeprom_93cx6 6081 1 rt61pci
crc_itu_t 6081 2 rt2x00lib,firewire_core

iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:1D:7E:2F:9A:28
ESSID:"Fedora"
Mode:Master
Channel:6
Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality=49/100 Signal level=-62 dBm
Encryption keyn
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18
Mb/s
24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=0000006620119099

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
# RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=00:0e:2e:e5:28:f9
NETMASK=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
DOMAIN=
TYPE=Wireless
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ESSID=Fedora
CHANNEL=1
MODE=Managed
RATE=Auto

I tried to find man or info on wpa_supplicant, no data.

cat /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant
INTERFACES=""
DRIVERS=""

I don't know what to put in there.

> I have previously posted my web page on this forum explaining the
> details
> of the setup.

I searched the archive and found a bunch from you in Dec.
No web page info though.

Thanks
Mick M.

Death before Decaf!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Rick Bilonick

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 06:37 -0800, Mick M. wrote:
> [...]
> HWADDR=00:0e:2e:e5:28:f9
> NETMASK=
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=
> IPADDR=
> DOMAIN=
> TYPE=Wireless
> USERCTL=yes
> IPV6INIT=no
> PEERDNS=yes
> ESSID=Fedora
> CHANNEL=1
> MODE=Managed
> RATE=Auto
>
> I tried to find man or info on wpa_supplicant, no data.
>
> cat /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant
> INTERFACES=""
> DRIVERS=""
>
> I don't know what to put in there.
>
> > I have previously posted my web page on this forum explaining the
> > details
> > of the setup.
> >

> I searched the archive and found a bunch from you in Dec.

Have you tried using networkmanager? It will bring up a panel from which
to choose WPA options. Of course it helps to know what options you need
to use which depends on how the network is using WPA. My method is to
try all the options until it works.

Rick B.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Frank8

I did get it to work in the end. The trick is firmware. I downloaded the install (The one that had 2561 in it) from http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html [1] but I didn't install it. I did however copy the three firmware files rt2561.bin rt2561s.bin rt2661.bin into the /lib/firmare directory. I also turn on NetworkManager with chkconfig and service.
After that it just worked.

Ralink makes the chipset in my wireless card.

Links:
------
[1] http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=231885&topic_id=49874&forum= 26#forumpost231885
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame fjalics@gmail.com.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:54 PM
"John W. Linville"

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 01:15:36PM +0100, Frank8 wrote:
> I did get it to work in the end. The trick is firmware. I downloaded the install (The one that had 2561 in it) from http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html [1] but I didn't install it. I did however copy the three firmware files rt2561.bin rt2561s.bin rt2661.bin into the /lib/firmare directory. I also turn on NetworkManager with chkconfig and service.
> After that it just worked.
>
> Ralink makes the chipset in my wireless card.
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html

Well I am glad that you figured this out. However, it might have
been easier to do this:

yum install rt61pci-firmware

Perhaps that will save you some problems in the future? You might
even want to switch to the package now, just in case there are firmware
upgrades required to work with future kernels. That way 'yum update'
should take care of the firmware as well.

John
--
John W. Linville
linville@redhat.com