Old 01-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Edward Diener

Default SELinux preventing installation of NetBeans 6.0

Running the Netbeans 6.0 installation by executing the downloaded shell
file I get an SELinux AVC error of:

SELinux is preventing
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/bin/java from loading
/tmp/nbi-55935.tmp which requires text relocation.

There nust be a way around this. Should I install Sun's Java instead or
is there a way to fix this problem more easily ?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Edward Diener

Edward Diener wrote:
Running the Netbeans 6.0 installation by executing the downloaded shell
file I get an SELinux AVC error of:

SELinux is preventing
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/bin/java from loading
/tmp/nbi-55935.tmp which requires text relocation.

There nust be a way around this. Should I install Sun's Java instead or
is there a way to fix this problem more easily ?

I solved the problem by changing the SELinux restrictions to permissive.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Karl Larsen

Edward Diener wrote:
Running the Netbeans 6.0 installation by executing the downloaded
shell file I get an SELinux AVC error of:

SELinux is preventing
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0.0/jre/bin/java from loading
/tmp/nbi-55935.tmp which requires text relocation.

There nust be a way around this. Should I install Sun's Java instead
or is there a way to fix this problem more easily ?

I installed the latest from the Sun web page and it did well with no
Selinux problem. Be advised to load a xxxx.jar file with the latest from
Sun use

#java -jar xxxx.jar to install it.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 15:31 -0500, Edward Diener wrote:
> I solved the problem by changing the SELinux restrictions to
> permissive.

To be blunt, no you didn't. You changed the conditions, but the problem
still exists. You now don't have SELinux offering you any protection.

If you don't want SELinux protection, fine, but you may as well disable
it and get it completely out of the way, in that case. Permissive mode
merely logs what would otherwise have been prevented, it still allows
just about everything to do whatever it wants (barring bugs).

But if you do want SELinux protecting you, then you need to put it back
on to enforcing, and resolve why that particular thing wouldn't run.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.