-   -   X - no mouse/pointer (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/26298-x-no-mouse-pointer.html)

"Jamie Bohr" 01-01-2008 04:36 PM

X - no mouse/pointer

I got a new mother board (ASUS M2NBP) and was eager to get Fedora 8
x64 working on it ... the install went great but ....

During the boot up process I have a mouse, works great. However, when
X starts the mouse goes away.

Here is my xorg.conf file (I had to add the mouse configuration lines):

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer" # I added this line
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice" # I added this section

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nv"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
############### end of xorg.file #############

It seems as though the X configuration tool is not seeing the mouse.
When I switch to run level 4 the console mouse works as expected. I
get the same results with a PS2 mouse. I've googled and googled but
after several hours I have found nothing that will help. I am hoping
someone on this list can point me in the right direction.

Here is my :0.log file:

X Window System Version 1.3.0
Release Date: 19 April 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
Build Operating System: Fedora 8 Red Hat, Inc.
Current Operating System: Linux nemesis 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 #1 SMP Fri Dec
7 15:49:36 EST 2007 x86_64
Build Date: 13 December 2007
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.3.0.0-37.fc8
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Dec 31 22:25:45 2007
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(II) Module already built-in
(II) Module already built-in
(II) Module already built-in

I have the latest updates installed, the based install (no updates)
had the same issue.

--
Jamie Bohr

Jim Cornette 01-01-2008 06:13 PM

X - no mouse/pointer

Jamie Bohr wrote:

[...]

It might be that your mouse is having problems showing. You could try adding
Option "HWCursor" "off"
to the xorg.conf file device section.

I thought this problem was happening on NVidia binary drivers. It could
also be happening with the X provided one.

Jim

--
Satellite Safety Tip #14:
If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.

Karl Larsen 01-01-2008 07:33 PM

X - no mouse/pointer

Jim Cornette wrote:

Jamie Bohr wrote:

[...]

Also you need to erase the rhgb that follows the kernel name in
/root/grub/grub.conf and then it should work ok. These are both required
to get the pointer back.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Tim 01-01-2008 08:29 PM

X - no mouse/pointer

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 13:33 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Also you

*may*

> need to erase the rhgb that follows the kernel name in
> /root/grub/grub.conf and then it should work ok. These

*may* *be*

> required to get the pointer back.

Don't lead people down the garden path with *you* *must* do this
instructions, when it's *not* something that people *must* do. That
work-around is *only* needed by *some* people. Somebody will read your
unqualified assertions, and erroneously follow them thinking that *they*
must do so.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

"Mr.Scrooge" 01-02-2008 02:10 AM

X - no mouse/pointer

BIOS Update.....

"Jamie Bohr" 01-03-2008 01:59 AM

X - no mouse/pointer

Thank you this was the trick I was missing. I've done some looking
(~10 minutes) around and don't quite know how rhgb affects the mouse
but ha ... it worked and that is all I care about.

Question: How did you figure this out? I had just finished installing
kubuntu to see it worked and start comparing files. I hadn't even
considered boot options in grub.conf.

Thank you again ....

On Jan 1, 2008 1:33 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >>

> >> I have the latest updates installed, the based install (no updates)
> >> had the same issue.
> >>

> > It might be that your mouse is having problems showing. You could try
> > adding
> > Option "HWCursor" "off"
> > to the xorg.conf file device section.
> >
> > I thought this problem was happening on NVidia binary drivers. It
> > could also be happening with the X provided one.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> Also you need to erase the rhgb that follows the kernel name in
> /root/grub/grub.conf and then it should work ok. These are both required
> to get the pointer back.
>

> Karl
>

> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Jamie Bohr

Jim Cornette 01-03-2008 11:19 AM

X - no mouse/pointer

Jamie Bohr wrote:

Thank you this was the trick I was missing. I've done some looking
(~10 minutes) around and don't quite know how rhgb affects the mouse
but ha ... it worked and that is all I care about.

Question: How did you figure this out? I had just finished installing
kubuntu to see it worked and start comparing files. I hadn't even
considered boot options in grub.conf.

Thank you again ....

Jamie,
What was the resolution? Removing rhgb from the startup, adding HWCursor
"off" or a combination?
I am assuming rhgb was causing the no mouse problem by your response. So
Karl's advice helped you out.

Jim

I have the latest updates installed, the based install (no updates)
had the same issue.

It might be that your mouse is having problems showing. You could try
adding
Option "HWCursor" "off"
to the xorg.conf file device section.

I thought this problem was happening on NVidia binary drivers. It
could also be happening with the X provided one.

Jim

Also you need to erase the rhgb that follows the kernel name in
/root/grub/grub.conf and then it should work ok. These are both required
to get the pointer back.

Karl

--
If life is a stage, I want some better lighting.

David 01-03-2008 04:41 PM

X - no mouse/pointer

"Jamie Bohr" 01-10-2008 07:53 PM

X - no mouse/pointer

Sorry, I just saw the reply. I have not been checking me email ... sorry.

I removed the "rhgb" from grub.conf, all is working great now.

- Jamie