FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-01-2008, 03:40 PM
"Paul Ward"
 
Default Will not boot after Disk upgrade from hda to sda

Hi All,

I am normally quite good with grub but currently I am struggling with
a disk upgrade on my brothers PC.

He has purchased a pci sata card, and added a new 1TB drive.

I have used dd to copy the boot sector to the new drive, then used
clonezilla and copied hda1 (/boot) to sda1, and copied hda3 (/) to
sda3. hda2 is swap and has been recreate as sda2.

I edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst from

title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
to
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/sda3 rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img

I change the device.map from

(hd0) /dev/hda
to
(hd0) /dev/sda

and edited fstab from

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
to
/dev/sda3 / ext3 defaults 1 1

I have checked with e2label that all partitions are correctly named as well.

Is there something else I have missed?

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default Will not boot after Disk upgrade from hda to sda

On Tuesday 01 January 2008, Paul Ward wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I am normally quite good with grub but currently I am struggling with
>a disk upgrade on my brothers PC.
>
>He has purchased a pci sata card, and added a new 1TB drive.
>
>I have used dd to copy the boot sector to the new drive, then used
>clonezilla and copied hda1 (/boot) to sda1, and copied hda3 (/) to
>sda3. hda2 is swap and has been recreate as sda2.
>
>I edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst from
>
>title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
>to
>title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/sda3 rhgb quiet
> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
>
>I change the device.map from
>
>(hd0) /dev/hda
>to
>(hd0) /dev/sda
>
>and edited fstab from
>
>LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
>to
>/dev/sda3 / ext3 defaults 1 1
>
>I have checked with e2label that all partitions are correctly named as well.
>
>Is there something else I have missed?

I'm going through the same nightmare here. It boils down to the card, it MUST
HAVE bios extensions that enable the bios to see this new drive. The first
card I bought works great once the kernel that knows about it is loaded, but
reports they are disabled in the lspci output once linux is booted from a
pata drive. I've ordered another new card which I have been promised does
have the bios extensions enabled and will be able to boot from it.

Said another way, if the mobo's bios can't see this new drive, then it
obviously cannot boot from it. This is not a linux problem, but a bios
problem.

My current workaround was to move all the stuff from /boot1, the first
partition on this sata drive that the F8 install to this drive made,
to /boot, the first partition on ide0,0 drive, at which point F8 will boot,
using the /VolGroup01 etc on the sata drive as its / drive, and with /boot1
as its /boot once its booted. Weird, as it disconnects the /boot it booted
from, but it works.

So I've not tried any F8 stuff to speak of until the new card gets here.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by
reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Will not boot after Disk upgrade from hda to sda

Gene Heskett wrote:

Said another way, if the mobo's bios can't see this new drive, then it
obviously cannot boot from it. This is not a linux problem, but a bios
problem.


My current workaround was to move all the stuff from /boot1, the first
partition on this sata drive that the F8 install to this drive made,
to /boot, the first partition on ide0,0 drive, at which point F8 will boot,
using the /VolGroup01 etc on the sata drive as its / drive, and with /boot1
as its /boot once its booted. Weird, as it disconnects the /boot it booted
from, but it works.


That's a fairly normal configuration. If you have multiple disks, the
grub install and /boot have to be on bios-enabled drives, but / or the
LVM containing it does not since the kernel drivers are active by the
time you access it. You probably have duplicate labels on the /boot
partitions, a common problem if you move drives around. Either change
the labels or fix /etc/fstab to refer to the partition name so the
active /boot partition is mounted for updates, etc.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default Will not boot after Disk upgrade from hda to sda

On Tuesday 01 January 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Said another way, if the mobo's bios can't see this new drive, then it
>> obviously cannot boot from it. This is not a linux problem, but a bios
>> problem.
>>
>> My current workaround was to move all the stuff from /boot1, the first
>> partition on this sata drive that the F8 install to this drive made,
>> to /boot, the first partition on ide0,0 drive, at which point F8 will
>> boot, using the /VolGroup01 etc on the sata drive as its / drive, and with
>> /boot1 as its /boot once its booted. Weird, as it disconnects the /boot
>> it booted from, but it works.
>
>That's a fairly normal configuration. If you have multiple disks, the
>grub install and /boot have to be on bios-enabled drives, but / or the
>LVM containing it does not since the kernel drivers are active by the
>time you access it. You probably have duplicate labels on the /boot
>partitions, a common problem if you move drives around. Either change
>the labels or fix /etc/fstab to refer to the partition name so the
>active /boot partition is mounted for updates, etc.
>
I did that while configing the disks in the first place, except for /boot1,
that was apparently in response to finding a /boot already in use.

However, I hadn't tried that with the f8 version of fstab yet, I assume it
would work.

Thanks Les.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
'Mounten' wird f�i Dinge benutzt: 'Aufsitzen' auf Pferde, 'einklinken'
von Festplatten in Dateisysteme, und, nun, 'besteigen' beim Sex.
-- Christa Keil

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Felix Miata
 
Default Will not boot after Disk upgrade from hda to sda

On 2008/01/01 16:40 (GMT) Paul Ward apparently typed:

> I am normally quite good with grub but currently I am struggling with
> a disk upgrade on my brothers PC.

> He has purchased a pci sata card, and added a new 1TB drive.

> I have used dd to copy the boot sector to the new drive, then used
> clonezilla and copied hda1 (/boot) to sda1, and copied hda3 (/) to
> sda3. hda2 is swap and has been recreate as sda2.

> I edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst from

> title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
> to
> title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/sda3 rhgb quiet
> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img

I wouldn't count on tmpfs knowing the meaning of root=/dev/sda3. Give your
root partition a meaningful label, such as F8root, and put root=LABEL=F8root
in your grub menu. Get rid of rhgb and quiet and maybe you'll see some clues
about the problem in the startup messages.

> I change the device.map from

> (hd0) /dev/hda
> to
> (hd0) /dev/sda

> and edited fstab from

> LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
> to
> /dev/sda3 / ext3 defaults 1 1

> I have checked with e2label that all partitions are correctly named as well.

Again, a more unique partition label would at least be a good idea.

> Is there something else I have missed?

Several kernel versions ago the HD drivers were moved out of the kernels into
modules. Maybe your initrd doesn't have the modules you need for that PCI
SATA device. Maybe the chip on that device is too new to have a driver. What
does lspci -v say about it?
--
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
"Paul Ward"
 
Default Will not boot after Disk upgrade from hda to sda

I did a quick hack that allowed me to boot up in a relitively stable
enviroment with some problems regarding keys I am guessiing this is
the keys that generate on first login, that get used to check
packages.

I built a FC6 PC using a single partion and no swap, then using a
recovery CD rsync'd the / partition over the top of the install. I did
not sync the /boot, this worked and proved the sata drive and cards
are compatible. I am going to clone the partition to a backup, re
clone the original disk on to the sata and copy the menu.lst,
device.map and fstab with minor modification back.

I am hoping this will work, I may need to reinstall grub but that will
not be a problem.

Any thoughts on if this will work?

On 01/01/2008, Felix Miata <mrmazda@ij.net> wrote:
> On 2008/01/01 16:40 (GMT) Paul Ward apparently typed:
>
> > I am normally quite good with grub but currently I am struggling with
> > a disk upgrade on my brothers PC.
>
> > He has purchased a pci sata card, and added a new 1TB drive.
>
> > I have used dd to copy the boot sector to the new drive, then used
> > clonezilla and copied hda1 (/boot) to sda1, and copied hda3 (/) to
> > sda3. hda2 is swap and has been recreate as sda2.
>
> > I edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst from
>
> > title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> > initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
> > to
> > title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/sda3 rhgb quiet
> > initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
>
> I wouldn't count on tmpfs knowing the meaning of root=/dev/sda3. Give your
> root partition a meaningful label, such as F8root, and put root=LABEL=F8root
> in your grub menu. Get rid of rhgb and quiet and maybe you'll see some clues
> about the problem in the startup messages.
>
> > I change the device.map from
>
> > (hd0) /dev/hda
> > to
> > (hd0) /dev/sda
>
> > and edited fstab from
>
> > LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
> > to
> > /dev/sda3 / ext3 defaults 1 1
>
> > I have checked with e2label that all partitions are correctly named as well.
>
> Again, a more unique partition label would at least be a good idea.
>
> > Is there something else I have missed?
>
> Several kernel versions ago the HD drivers were moved out of the kernels into
> modules. Maybe your initrd doesn't have the modules you need for that PCI
> SATA device. Maybe the chip on that device is too new to have a driver. What
> does lspci -v say about it?
> --
> "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
> with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV
>
> Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
>
> Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/
>
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list@redhat.com
> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
>

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-05-2008, 12:18 AM
John Summerfield
 
Default Will not boot after Disk upgrade from hda to sda

Paul Ward wrote:

I did a quick hack that allowed me to boot up in a relitively stable
enviroment with some problems regarding keys I am guessiing this is
the keys that generate on first login, that get used to check
packages.

I built a FC6 PC using a single partion and no swap, then using a
recovery CD rsync'd the / partition over the top of the install. I did
not sync the /boot, this worked and proved the sata drive and cards
are compatible. I am going to clone the partition to a backup, re
clone the original disk on to the sata and copy the menu.lst,
device.map and fstab with minor modification back.

I am hoping this will work, I may need to reinstall grub but that will
not be a problem.

Any thoughts on if this will work?



test from the grub command line, finding it's idea of what drive is what
is a good start.


reinstalling grub may prove a good idea, it can reconstruct the device map.


--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
1aaaaaaa@coco.merseine.nu Z1aaaaaaa@coco.merseine.nu
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org