-   -   NetworkManager vs WEP - again (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/26020-networkmanager-vs-wep-again.html)

DJ Delorie 01-01-2008 12:57 AM

NetworkManager vs WEP - again

I just upgraded from FC6 to F8 and decided to give NM another chance.
It still doesn't work with my WEP router.

Info...

F8 on Dell 6400 Inspiron
IPW3945 card
Belkin B/G/N AP - unencrypted
Linksys B AP - encrypted

What works...

NM can see my wired network. NM can see my unencrypted AP. NM
automatically switches between the two when I plug/unplug the ethernet
cable.

My XP laptop can see and connect to both wireless APs.

"iwlist scan" sees both APs.

system-config-network can connect to both APs.

What doesn't work...

NM cannot connect to the WEP-encrypted AP, with either 64 or 128 bit
encryption.

I keep getting "association took too long, asking for new key"
timeouts.

"Tod Merley" 01-01-2008 10:55 AM

On Dec 31, 2007 5:57 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com> wrote:

> I just upgraded from FC6 to F8 and decided to give NM another chance.
> It still doesn't work with my WEP router.
>
> Info...
>
> F8 on Dell 6400 Inspiron
> IPW3945 card
> Belkin B/G/N AP - unencrypted
> Linksys B AP - encrypted
>

> What works...
>
> NM can see my wired network. NM can see my unencrypted AP. NM
> automatically switches between the two when I plug/unplug the ethernet
> cable.
>
> My XP laptop can see and connect to both wireless APs.
>
> "iwlist scan" sees both APs.
>
> system-config-network can connect to both APs.
>

> What doesn't work...
>
> NM cannot connect to the WEP-encrypted AP, with either 64 or 128 bit
> encryption.
>
> I keep getting "association took too long, asking for new key"
> timeouts.

Hi DJ Delorie!

It would be good to look over dmesg, /var/log/messages and to have a
copy of the output of lspci -v -v -x -x.

The error would indicate something is wrong with your key. Perhaps
the way it is input??

There is a lot going on in the Fedora camp to fix the busted
NetworkManager with wireless problems. May the work go well,

Good Hunting!

Tod

Aaron Konstam 01-01-2008 01:59 PM

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 20:57 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> I just upgraded from FC6 to F8 and decided to give NM another chance.
> It still doesn't work with my WEP router.
>
> Info...
>
> F8 on Dell 6400 Inspiron
> IPW3945 card
> Belkin B/G/N AP - unencrypted
> Linksys B AP - encrypted
>

> What works...
>
> NM can see my wired network. NM can see my unencrypted AP. NM
> automatically switches between the two when I plug/unplug the ethernet
> cable.
>
> My XP laptop can see and connect to both wireless APs.
>
> "iwlist scan" sees both APs.
>
> system-config-network can connect to both APs.
>

> What doesn't work...
>
> NM cannot connect to the WEP-encrypted AP, with either 64 or 128 bit
> encryption.
>
> I keep getting "association took too long, asking for new key"
> timeouts.

How do you put in your key. You get three choices. Depending on your key
I would use the ASCI choice or the hex choice. Not the first one you see
called the Passphrase 128 bit. That one has a peculiar algorithm for
calculating the ecryption key that your AP may not work with.

DJ Delorie 01-01-2008 02:19 PM

Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> writes:
> How do you put in your key. You get three choices. Depending on your
> key I would use the ASCII choice or the hex choice.

I used hex. I tried the 128 bit passphrase one also.

Aaron Konstam 01-01-2008 08:20 PM

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 10:19 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> writes:
> > How do you put in your key. You get three choices. Depending on your
> > key I would use the ASCII choice or the hex choice.
>
> I used hex. I tried the 128 bit passphrase one also.
It just occurs to me from what you said in your first message yo must be
running both the network, NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher.
Stop running network by executing:
service network stop

and see if things improve. If they do then you can stop network
permenantly by executing: chkconfig network off

DJ Delorie 01-02-2008 02:18 AM

NetworkManager vs WEP - again

Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> writes:
> It just occurs to me from what you said in your first message yo must be
> running both the network, NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher.

I was careful to remove the devices from s-c-network. NM can manage
the devices just fine as long as WEP isn't involved.

> service network stop

Tried it. Same behavior.