Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 PM
"Miguel Blanco"

Default F8 installation in external usb disk (not USB key)

Hello!

Excuse me if this is a known FAQ, but I can't find any thing related
to external usb disk
(not USB key, ie. real 2.5" disk) but this
http://www.vigla.eclipse.co.uk/usb_install.pdf
paper wich refers to an old Fedora Core 3 version.

I tried the process described above translating where applicable to F8
with no sucess.

Do you know whow can I install F8 in an external disk ?

Regards,
Miguel

Old 12-31-2007, 01:57 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Miguel Blanco wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Excuse me if this is a known FAQ, but I can't find any thing related
> to external usb disk
> (not USB key, ie. real 2.5" disk) but this
> http://www.vigla.eclipse.co.uk/usb_install.pdf
> paper wich refers to an old Fedora Core 3 version.
>
> I tried the process described above translating where applicable to F8
> with no sucess.
>
> Do you know whow can I install F8 in an external disk ?
>
> Regards,
> Miguel

You have to use the expert install. The standard install does not
offer to let you use USB drives. The drive will be accessed as a
SCSI drive. (Almost all drives in F8 are accessed as SCSI drives.)
Depending on your system, it will probably be /dev/sdb.

About the only complication is that you want to install Grub to the
USB drive. If you are planning on using the BIOS boot from a USB
device option, you will also have to modify the Grub device map so
that the USB drive is the first BIOS drive. (The BIOS remaps the
drives when you boot from the USB drive.) This is not necessary if
you are chainloading from another Grub install.

Mikkel

Old 12-31-2007, 02:27 PM
"Miguel Blanco"

Yes, you are rigth about the standard install and the BIOS drives remaps!

I tried configuring GRUB in the MBR of the external disk, and the procedure
described in the refered paper failed at the last point, ie. the kernel output
a lot of errors and failed to boot...

Thanks for your comments!

Regards,
Miguel.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:46 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Miguel Blanco wrote:
> Yes, you are rigth about the standard install and the BIOS drives remaps!
>
> I tried configuring GRUB in the MBR of the external disk, and the procedure
> described in the refered paper failed at the last point, ie. the kernel output
> a lot of errors and failed to boot...
>
> Thanks for your comments!
>
> Regards,
> Miguel.

If you get to the point where the kernel loads, and produces errors,
then the problem is ether in /etc/fstab or in /boot/grub/grub.conf.
Without knowing the errors, it is hard to tell. It probably is a
problem with the root device passed to the kernel from Grub. If you
are not using LVM, then the root device is probably something like
/dev/sdb5 and needs to be changed to /dev/sda5. (The 5 may not be
correct.) You may need to do the same thing in /etc/fstab. The
reason for this is that the usb_storage module is loaded from
initrd, so it becomes the first SCSI controller.

A better way to handle it is to give all the partitions on the USB
drive labels, and use the labels instead of the device names. That
way, it does not matter what drive letter is assigned to the drive.

Mikkel

Old 12-31-2007, 03:00 PM
"Miguel Blanco"

Ok, I'll try again this time writing down all the steps and repost
with the exact error. But I'll check, as you propose, the devices
in /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf

Thank you!

Old 12-31-2007, 04:23 PM
John Austin

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 17:00 +0100, Miguel Blanco wrote:
> Ok, I'll try again this time writing down all the steps and repost
> with the exact error. But I'll check, as you propose, the devices
> in /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> Miguel
>
> 2007/12/31, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>:
> > Miguel Blanco wrote:
> > > Yes, you are rigth about the standard install and the BIOS drives remaps!
> > >
> > > I tried configuring GRUB in the MBR of the external disk, and the procedure
> > > described in the refered paper failed at the last point, ie. the kernel output
> > > a lot of errors and failed to boot...
> > >
> > > Thanks for your comments!
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Miguel.
> > >
> > If you get to the point where the kernel loads, and produces errors,
> > then the problem is ether in /etc/fstab or in /boot/grub/grub.conf.
> > Without knowing the errors, it is hard to tell. It probably is a
> > problem with the root device passed to the kernel from Grub. If you
> > are not using LVM, then the root device is probably something like
> > /dev/sdb5 and needs to be changed to /dev/sda5. (The 5 may not be
> > correct.) You may need to do the same thing in /etc/fstab. The
> > reason for this is that the usb_storage module is loaded from
> > initrd, so it becomes the first SCSI controller.
> >
> > A better way to handle it is to give all the partitions on the USB
> > drive labels, and use the labels instead of the device names. That
> > way, it does not matter what drive letter is assigned to the drive.
> >
> > Mikkel
> > --
> >
> > Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> > for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!
> >

> > --

Hi Miguel

As Mikkel has stated F8 will install to an external USB by just using
expert mode.
95% of the reference is unnecessary now.

I tend not to use LVM but I do pre-partition, pre-format and pre-label
the disk BEFORE starting
the install and the DO NOT format the disk during installation. (which
deletes the labels !)

The only real decisions are to do with how to boot.

If the USB disk is to rely on the MBR of a main SATA/IDE type disk then
choose the /dev/sdxy device associated with the USB disk at install
time.
Then add an entry to grub.conf on the fixed disk.
title USB disk
root (hdp,q)
chainloader +1

In addition after install I would then configure grub on the MBR of the
USB disk as well such that I can boot the disk with and without the
presence of the "main", "fixed" disk.

I did the whole of this on an external USB disk yesterday !!!!

After first having learnt how to use jigdo to down load
Fedora-Unity-20071218-8-i386-DVD.iso !!!!!!!!

As stated by Mikkel I had to play with grub interactively to sort out
the correct (hdx,y) !!

John

who wrote
http://www.vigla.eclipse.co.uk/usb_install.pdf

Old 12-31-2007, 04:45 PM
"Miguel Blanco"

Thanks a lot, John and Mikkel !!

As soon I can, I'll try again and I'll keep you updated.

Regards,
Miguel

Old 12-31-2007, 05:33 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

John Austin wrote:

> The only real decisions are to do with how to boot.
>
> If the USB disk is to rely on the MBR of a main SATA/IDE type disk then
> choose the /dev/sdxy device associated with the USB disk at install
> time.
> Then add an entry to grub.conf on the fixed disk.
> title USB disk
> root (hdp,q)
> chainloader +1
>
> In addition after install I would then configure grub on the MBR of the
> USB disk as well such that I can boot the disk with and without the
> presence of the "main", "fixed" disk.

What I did was install a copy of Grub to the MBR of the USB drive,
and then create an entry like this in the SATA Grub menu:

title USB disk
root (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainload +1

Because of the map commands, the USB drive is hd0 when the chainload
command is executed, and it loads Grub from the USB drive. (hd0 is
the entire disk, starting from the MBR.) From there it is the same
as if you had used the BIOS option to boot from the USB drive. The
only thing you have to be careful of is if you have more then one
USB drive plugged in. You will get a Grub error is the wrong one is
detected first, and does not have a boot loader on it.

Mikkel

Old 01-01-2008, 12:12 PM
John Austin

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 12:33 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> John Austin wrote:
> >
> > The only real decisions are to do with how to boot.
> >
> > If the USB disk is to rely on the MBR of a main SATA/IDE type disk then
> > choose the /dev/sdxy device associated with the USB disk at install
> > time.
> > Then add an entry to grub.conf on the fixed disk.
> > title USB disk
> > root (hdp,q)
> > chainloader +1
> >
> > In addition after install I would then configure grub on the MBR of the
> > USB disk as well such that I can boot the disk with and without the
> > presence of the "main", "fixed" disk.
> >
> What I did was install a copy of Grub to the MBR of the USB drive,
> and then create an entry like this in the SATA Grub menu:
>
> title USB disk
> root (hd0)
> map (hd0) (hd1)
> map (hd1) (hd0)
> chainload +1
>
> Because of the map commands, the USB drive is hd0 when the chainload
> command is executed, and it loads Grub from the USB drive. (hd0 is
> the entire disk, starting from the MBR.) From there it is the same
> as if you had used the BIOS option to boot from the USB drive. The
> only thing you have to be careful of is if you have more then one
> USB drive plugged in. You will get a Grub error is the wrong one is
> detected first, and does not have a boot loader on it.
>
> Mikkel
> --
Hi Mikkel

I liked your way of doing things but when I try on my machine as soon as
I use the map command grub gets in a real muddle.
It is not a problem to me but it should work !!!!!!!!!

Even simple things from the grub command start failing

Eg
I can boot into interactive grub from SATA disk
and re enter grub many times as follows

With SATA=(hd0) USB=(hd1)
(SATA is F8 x86-64, USB is F8 i386) both updated to within 3 days.
Both have /dev/sdx1 = /boot, /dev/sdx2 = /, /dev/sdx3 = swap

root (hd0)
chainloader +1
re-enters the SATA grub menu

root (hd1)
chainloader +1
enters the USB grub menu

root (hd1)
chainloader +1
re-enters the USB grub menu

root (hd0)
chainloader +1
re-enters the SATA grub menu

as soon as I do the following grub falls apart !!!!!!!!!!
root (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1

Interesting ?

John

Old 01-01-2008, 02:07 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

John Austin wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 12:33 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> What I did was install a copy of Grub to the MBR of the USB drive,
>> and then create an entry like this in the SATA Grub menu:
>>
>> title USB disk
>> root (hd0)
>> map (hd0) (hd1)
>> map (hd1) (hd0)
>> chainload +1
>>
>> Because of the map commands, the USB drive is hd0 when the chainload
>> command is executed, and it loads Grub from the USB drive. (hd0 is
>> the entire disk, starting from the MBR.) From there it is the same
>> as if you had used the BIOS option to boot from the USB drive. The
>> only thing you have to be careful of is if you have more then one
>> USB drive plugged in. You will get a Grub error is the wrong one is
>> detected first, and does not have a boot loader on it.
>>
>> Mikkel
>> --
> Hi Mikkel
>
> I liked your way of doing things but when I try on my machine as soon as
> I use the map command grub gets in a real muddle.
> It is not a problem to me but it should work !!!!!!!!!
>
> Even simple things from the grub command start failing
>
> Eg
> I can boot into interactive grub from SATA disk
> and re enter grub many times as follows
>
> With SATA=(hd0) USB=(hd1)
> (SATA is F8 x86-64, USB is F8 i386) both updated to within 3 days.
> Both have /dev/sdx1 = /boot, /dev/sdx2 = /, /dev/sdx3 = swap
>
> root (hd0)
> chainloader +1
> re-enters the SATA grub menu

This is because the SATA drive is still mapped as hd0. The pair of
map commands changes that.

> root (hd1)
> chainloader +1
> enters the USB grub menu
>
> root (hd1)
> chainloader +1
> re-enters the USB grub menu
>
> root (hd0)
> chainloader +1
> re-enters the SATA grub menu
>
> as soon as I do the following grub falls apart !!!!!!!!!!
> root (hd0)
> map (hd0) (hd1)
> map (hd1) (hd0)
> chainloader +1
>
> Interesting ?
>
> John

It sounds like Grub on your USB drive is configured to use hd1, not
hd0. The menu entry I gave is for booting from a USB drive that is
configured so you can boot off it using the boot from USB option of
the BIOS. In that case, the USB drive is hd0, not hd1. That is why
you need to remap the drives when booting from the SATA drive, and
chaining to the USB copy of Grub.

One other note - this will work with any bootable USB drive or
memory stick. It does not need to have Grub. It will even work on a
bootable DOS memory stick. (DOS uses the BIOS to access the drive.)
I don't have a USB floppy or CD-ROM drive to test it on, but I would
not expect it to work. On the other hand, Windows in the safe mode
may work. (95, 98 and maybe XP. But probably not Vista.)

One use would be a "pen" drive with OpenDOS configured for BIOS
upgrades.

Mikkel