FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-31-2007, 07:08 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default small machine needs a small linux.

Anyone know offhand if there is a "small linux" distro that also uses
rpms? I've got some PII's and PIII's to install to, and then give them
away to our charity. So, I'd like something that can make use of these
old machines and include a CD with each of them. Thanks in advance, Ric

--
================================================
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net <---down4now too
================================================

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-31-2007, 08:17 AM
"Manuel Arostegui Ramirez"
 
Default small machine needs a small linux.

2007/12/31, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com>:
> Anyone know offhand if there is a "small linux" distro that also uses
> rpms? I've got some PII's and PIII's to install to, and then give them
> away to our charity. So, I'd like something that can make use of these
> old machines and include a CD with each of them. Thanks in advance, Ric

Hey Ric!
First off, I wish you a very good 2008!
And regarding the issue, I guess it is going to be used for Desktop
purposes, right?
Do you need it _only_ rpm based? If so, why?
Anyways, my recommendation is Damm Small Linux, it is a really good
distro for such "old" boxes...

All the best
Manuel

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-31-2007, 03:45 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default small machine needs a small linux.

Ric Moore wrote:

Anyone know offhand if there is a "small linux" distro that also uses
rpms? I've got some PII's and PIII's to install to, and then give them
away to our charity. So, I'd like something that can make use of these
old machines and include a CD with each of them. Thanks in advance, Ric


I'd try CentOS3 as something with older, less bloated code but still
full featured and supported.


But, if several are going to the same place and they can come up with a
faster machine or even a PIII with lots of RAM for a server, they might
do better using ltsp with these machines as network-booting thin
clients, in which case the K12LTSP distribution would be the easiest
thing to put on the server and you can just pull the hard drives out of
the clients.


--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-31-2007, 10:21 PM
"Amadeus W.M."
 
Default small machine needs a small linux.

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 03:08:55 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

> Anyone know offhand if there is a "small linux" distro that also uses
> rpms? I've got some PII's and PIII's to install to, and then give them
> away to our charity. So, I'd like something that can make use of these
> old machines and include a CD with each of them. Thanks in advance, Ric
>
> --
> ================================================ My father, Victor Moore
> (Vic) used to say: "There are two Great Sins in the world... ..the Sin
> of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity. Only the former may be
> overcome." R.I.P. Dad. Linux user# 44256 Sign up at:
> http://counter.li.org/ http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
> http://www.wayward4now.net <---down4now too
> ================================================

I would still try Fedora, but with a mini window manager like fluxbox
instead of gnome or kde. For charity, you may want to try a more stable
version/clone of RH.




--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Felix Miata
 
Default small machine needs a small linux.

On 2007/12/31 03:08 (GMT-0500) Ric Moore apparently typed:

> Anyone know offhand if there is a "small linux" distro that also uses
> rpms? I've got some PII's and PIII's to install to, and then give them
> away to our charity. So, I'd like something that can make use of these
> old machines and include a CD with each of them.

Why do you think a PII or PIII can't run Fedora acceptably? Any of Fedora,
Mandriva or OpenSUSE on any CPU of 500-600 MHz or more, FSB of 100 MHz or
more, and physical RAM of more than 256M should be adequate, depending on
intended use and choice of Desktop Environment. I have several recent/current
distros working KDE perfectly adequately on a 9 year old PIII-700 system with
512M RAM, and I haven't bothered on any of them to strip unneeded services.
Faster is certainly better, but don't let that distort your perception of
what is really required.

The speed of the newest systems has gotten so high that it screws up people's
perspective on what's really required.
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-ArchSpecific.html#sn-ArchSpecific-x86-hw
shows recommended CPU for graphical Fedora 8 is still only 400 MHz, RAM only 256M
--
Jesus Christ, the reason for the season.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default small machine needs a small linux.

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 20:02 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2007/12/31 03:08 (GMT-0500) Ric Moore apparently typed:
>
> > Anyone know offhand if there is a "small linux" distro that also uses
> > rpms? I've got some PII's and PIII's to install to, and then give them
> > away to our charity. So, I'd like something that can make use of these
> > old machines and include a CD with each of them.
>
> Why do you think a PII or PIII can't run Fedora acceptably? Any of Fedora,
> Mandriva or OpenSUSE on any CPU of 500-600 MHz or more, FSB of 100 MHz or
> more, and physical RAM of more than 256M should be adequate, depending on
> intended use and choice of Desktop Environment. I have several recent/current
> distros working KDE perfectly adequately on a 9 year old PIII-700 system with
> 512M RAM, and I haven't bothered on any of them to strip unneeded services.
> Faster is certainly better, but don't let that distort your perception of
> what is really required.
>
> The speed of the newest systems has gotten so high that it screws up people's
> perspective on what's really required.
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-ArchSpecific.html#sn-ArchSpecific-x86-hw
> shows recommended CPU for graphical Fedora 8 is still only 400 MHz, RAM only 256M

Thanks for all the replies!! I have tried Fedora 7 on an eMachine with
512 of ram (that I tossed into it) and it really lags slower than my old
old 486DX2-66 when I ran Caldera on it back when... with 32 megs of
memory. So, I was figuring that with a small enough distro they should
lift up their skirts and haul ass. No, I don't have to have rpm, but I
just prefer it since back when.

Just for grins, I'll re-install Fedora 7 to the eMachine and not install
KDE or Gnome. I'll report back tomorrow what occurred and how she runs
and feels. Ric

--
================================================
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net <---down4now too
================================================

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-01-2008, 10:31 PM
John Summerfield
 
Default small machine needs a small linux.

Les Mikesell wrote:

Ric Moore wrote:

Anyone know offhand if there is a "small linux" distro that also uses
rpms? I've got some PII's and PIII's to install to, and then give them
away to our charity. So, I'd like something that can make use of these
old machines and include a CD with each of them. Thanks in advance, Ric


I'd try CentOS3 as something with older, less bloated code but still
full featured and supported.


I spose one could go for C 2.1 too. My vote though goes with DSL, debs
are about as good as rpms, just different. There's also puppy, and maybe
lots more at distrowatch.




--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
1aaaaaaa@coco.merseine.nu Z1aaaaaaa@coco.merseine.nu
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 AM
Richard Shaw
 
Default small machine needs a small linux.

John Summerfield wrote:

Les Mikesell wrote:

Ric Moore wrote:

Anyone know offhand if there is a "small linux" distro that also uses
rpms? I've got some PII's and PIII's to install to, and then give them
away to our charity. So, I'd like something that can make use of these
old machines and include a CD with each of them. Thanks in advance, Ric


I'd try CentOS3 as something with older, less bloated code but still
full featured and supported.


I spose one could go for C 2.1 too. My vote though goes with DSL, debs
are about as good as rpms, just different. There's also puppy, and
maybe lots more at distrowatch.




I've got XUbuntu (xfce window manager) installed on a spare industrial
terminal we had at work. It uses a 500MHz transmeta processor w/ 128MB
ram of which ~12MB is reserved for the X86 compatibility code and it
seems to work fine.


Actually the biggest issue so far has been getting the touch screen
working. I want to wall mount it in the Kitchen and use the touchscreen
and on screen virtual keyboard for things that have to be typed but no
dice...


Richard

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-02-2008, 04:23 AM
Ralf Corsepius
 
Default small machine needs a small linux.

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 13:55 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 20:02 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> > On 2007/12/31 03:08 (GMT-0500) Ric Moore apparently typed:
> >
> > > Anyone know offhand if there is a "small linux" distro that also uses
> > > rpms? I've got some PII's and PIII's to install to, and then give them
> > > away to our charity. So, I'd like something that can make use of these
> > > old machines and include a CD with each of them.
> >
> > Why do you think a PII or PIII can't run Fedora acceptably? Any of Fedora,
> > Mandriva or OpenSUSE on any CPU of 500-600 MHz or more, FSB of 100 MHz or
> > more, and physical RAM of more than 256M should be adequate, depending on
> > intended use and choice of Desktop Environment. I have several recent/current
> > distros working KDE perfectly adequately on a 9 year old PIII-700 system with
> > 512M RAM, and I haven't bothered on any of them to strip unneeded services.
> > Faster is certainly better, but don't let that distort your perception of
> > what is really required.
> >
> > The speed of the newest systems has gotten so high that it screws up people's
> > perspective on what's really required.
> > http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-ArchSpecific.html#sn-ArchSpecific-x86-hw
> > shows recommended CPU for graphical Fedora 8 is still only 400 MHz, RAM only 256M
>
> Thanks for all the replies!! I have tried Fedora 7 on an eMachine with
> 512 of ram (that I tossed into it) and it really lags slower than my old
> old 486DX2-66 when I ran Caldera on it back when... with 32 megs of
> memory.
Well, IMO, you are comparing apples and oranges or WIN-3.0 against
Vista, if you prefer it this way

Fedora runs pretty well the class of machines you describe
(PIII-700/512RAM). It won't be lightning fast, but will still be fairly
usable.

> So, I was figuring that with a small enough distro they should
> lift up their skirts and haul ass.
I would not expect this to bring you much further, because all modern
Linux distros are comparable resource demanding.

> No, I don't have to have rpm, but I
> just prefer it since back when.
>
> Just for grins, I'll re-install Fedora 7 to the eMachine and not install
> KDE or Gnome. I'll report back tomorrow what occurred and how she runs
> and feels. Ric
Not using a KDE or Gnome-desktop doesn't really make much of a
difference a PIII-700/512 RAM. What makes a real difference is getting
rid (disabling/removing) all unnecessary applications, features etc.

Ralf


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 01-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Felix Miata
 
Default small machine needs a small linux.

On 2008/01/01 13:55 (GMT-0500) Ric Moore apparently typed:

> I have tried Fedora 7 on an eMachine with
> 512 of ram (that I tossed into it) and it really lags slower than my old
> old 486DX2-66 when I ran Caldera on it back when... with 32 megs of
> memory.

Sounds like a description of trying to run a system with DMA disabled on the
HD(s). Did you put PC100 in a system that's supposed to have PC133? How fast
exactly is that CPU supposed to be? Is that what it's actually running?
--
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:25 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org