Old 12-31-2007, 02:28 AM
wayne

Default GNOME_ClockApplet doesn't always load

I finally decided to upgrade from my old reliable Redhat 9 to Fedora 8.
For the most part it works great. I am having problems with
GNOME_ClockApplet
and GNOME_WorkspaceSwitcherApplet, where they do not always appear on
the panel

when I log in. Here are the pop-up errors I get:

=============
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_ClockApplet".
The panel encountered a problem while loading
"OAFIID:GNOME_WorkspaceSwitcherApplet".

=============

Sometimes they appear on the Gnome panel and sometimes they do not.
Here is the

output of .xsession-errors:

=============
SESSION_MANAGER=local/unix:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/16377,unix/unix:/tmp/.ICE-unix/16377

** (gnome-session:16377): WARNING **: Host name lookup failure on localhost.
11

** (nm-applet:16481): WARNING **: <WARN>
applet_dbus_manager_start_service(): Could not acquire the
NetworkManagerUserSettings service as it is already taken. Return: 3

(nm-applet:16481): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_destroy: assertion
`hash_table != NULL' failed

(nm-applet:16481): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(nm-applet:16481): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Key
/apps/panel/objects/0t1109568543ut155660u500p14986r508150898k322121582 0/launcher_location
is not set, cannot load launcher

** (gnome-panel:16460): WARNING **: panel-applet-frame.c:1293: failed to
load applet OAFIID:GNOME_WorkspaceSwitcherApplet:
Failed to resolve, or extend
'!prefs_key=/apps/panel/applets/applet_6/prefs;background=none:;orient=up;size=medium;locke d_down=false

** (gnome-panel:16460): WARNING **: panel-applet-frame.c:1293: failed to
load applet OAFIID:GNOME_ClockApplet:
Failed to resolve, or extend
'!prefs_key=/apps/panel/applets/applet_1/prefs;background=none:;orient=up;size=medium;locke d_down=false

Unable to connect to yum-updatesd. Please ensure that the yum-updatesd
package is installed and that the service is running.
could not attach to desktop process
Unable to connect to yum-updatesd. Please ensure that the yum-updatesd
package is installed and that the service is running.
=============

Does anyone out there know what the cause of this is and what the fix is?

Thanks,

-- Wayne.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 22:28 -0500, wayne wrote:
> I finally decided to upgrade from my old reliable Redhat 9 to Fedora
> 8. For the most part it works great. I am having problems with
> GNOME_ClockApplet and GNOME_WorkspaceSwitcherApplet, where they do not
> always appear on the panel when I log in.

I think the first thing people will ask is how you did the "upgrading"?
Did you upgrade from one to the other, over the top? Did you replace
the old with a completely new installation on reformatted drives?

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:05 PM
wayne

Tim replied with:
>On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 22:28 -0500, wayne wrote:
>> I finally decided to upgrade from my old reliable Redhat 9 to Fedora
>> 8. For the most part it works great. I am having problems with
>> GNOME_ClockApplet and GNOME_WorkspaceSwitcherApplet, where they do not
>> always appear on the panel when I log in.
>
> I think the first thing people will ask is how you did the "upgrading"?
> Did you upgrade from one to the other, over the top? Did you replace
> the old with a completely new installation on reformatted drives?

I installed F8 on a new disk, copied everyone's /home directories to
the disk, and then created new accounts that matched the same user/group
numbers for everyone's account.

I did it this way to preserve the original look and feel for everyone
in my family (7 accounts). This retained the single panel bar and single
"main menu" on the panel bar. I suspect that this might have something
to do with the problems I'm experiencing.

Thanks,

-- Wayne.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 08:05 -0500, wayne wrote:
> Tim replied with:
> >On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 22:28 -0500, wayne wrote:
> >> I finally decided to upgrade from my old reliable Redhat 9 to Fedora
> >> 8. For the most part it works great. I am having problems with
> >> GNOME_ClockApplet and GNOME_WorkspaceSwitcherApplet, where they do not
> >> always appear on the panel when I log in.
> >
> > I think the first thing people will ask is how you did the "upgrading"?
> > Did you upgrade from one to the other, over the top? Did you replace
> > the old with a completely new installation on reformatted drives?
>
> I installed F8 on a new disk, copied everyone's /home directories to
> the disk, and then created new accounts that matched the same user/group
> numbers for everyone's account.
>
> I did it this way to preserve the original look and feel for everyone
> in my family (7 accounts). This retained the single panel bar and single
> "main menu" on the panel bar. I suspect that this might have something
> to do with the problems I'm experiencing.
----
perhaps you want to check out Sabayon

Craig

Old 01-01-2008, 12:41 PM
wayne

Tim replied with:

Old 01-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Robin Laing

wayne wrote:

[...]

Did you wipe out the /tmp directory during the upgrade?

I say this because I have had this issue on F7 and all I have had to do
was clean out the /tmp directory.

--
Robin Laing