Old 12-31-2007, 12:16 AM
Timothy Murphy

Default The mystery of WiFi

IIRC, Fedora - and other distributions -
tried to bring up the interface <xyz>
if there was a file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<xyz>.

But this no longer seems to be the case -
I have an ifcfg-eth0 which is completely ignored
by "service network restart" and even "ifup eth0".

How does Fedora now decide what interfaces to try to bring up?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Old 12-31-2007, 02:44 AM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 30, 2007 5:16 PM, Timothy Murphy <tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

> IIRC, Fedora - and other distributions -
> tried to bring up the interface <xyz>
> if there was a file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<xyz>.
>
> But this no longer seems to be the case -
> I have an ifcfg-eth0 which is completely ignored
> by "service network restart" and even "ifup eth0".
>
> How does Fedora now decide what interfaces to try to bring up?
>

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Hi Timothy Murphy!

I believe they are using an automated environment overseen by NetworkManager.

To play in a bit more static environment (from gnome desktop):

System > Administration > Services
Un-check NetworkManager
Checki Network (about 2/3 down the list)
Save!
Reboot or restart service.

Enjoy!

Tod

Old 12-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Timothy Murphy

Tod Merley wrote:

>> IIRC, Fedora - and other distributions -
>> tried to bring up the interface <xyz>
>> if there was a file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<xyz>.
>>
>> But this no longer seems to be the case -
>> I have an ifcfg-eth0 which is completely ignored
>> by "service network restart" and even "ifup eth0".
>>
>> How does Fedora now decide what interfaces to try to bring up?

> I believe they are using an automated environment overseen by
> NetworkManager.
>
> To play in a bit more static environment (from gnome desktop):
>
> System > Administration > Services
> Un-check NetworkManager
> Checki Network (about 2/3 down the list)
> Save!
> Reboot or restart service.

Actually, I'm almost certain I wasn't running NetworkManager (NM)
on the computer in question.
I don't normally run NM, because it does not work
with all the WiFi cards I use -
in particular it does not work with my Orinoco PCMCIA cards,
which I am reluctant to throw away as they have very good antennae -
and I like to run as near as possible the same system
on all my machines.

I've also found that "alias eth0 xyz" in /etc/modprobe.conf
also seems to be often ignored.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Rick Stevens

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 13:24 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Tod Merley wrote:
>
> >> IIRC, Fedora - and other distributions -
> >> tried to bring up the interface <xyz>
> >> if there was a file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<xyz>.
> >>
> >> But this no longer seems to be the case -
> >> I have an ifcfg-eth0 which is completely ignored
> >> by "service network restart" and even "ifup eth0".
> >>
> >> How does Fedora now decide what interfaces to try to bring up?
>
> > I believe they are using an automated environment overseen by
> > NetworkManager.
> >
> > To play in a bit more static environment (from gnome desktop):
> >
> > System > Administration > Services
> > Un-check NetworkManager
> > Checki Network (about 2/3 down the list)
> > Save!
> > Reboot or restart service.
>
> Actually, I'm almost certain I wasn't running NetworkManager (NM)
> on the computer in question.
> I don't normally run NM, because it does not work
> with all the WiFi cards I use -
> in particular it does not work with my Orinoco PCMCIA cards,
> which I am reluctant to throw away as they have very good antennae -
> and I like to run as near as possible the same system
> on all my machines.
>
> I've also found that "alias eth0 xyz" in /etc/modprobe.conf
> also seems to be often ignored.

"service network start|restart" depends on having an "ONBOOT=yes" line
in the ifcfg-eth0 file. If you can type in "ifup eth0" and the card
comes up, then you probably have "ONBOOT=no" or no line in the file.

- -
- Diplomacy: The art of saying "Nice doggy!" until you can find a -
- big enough rock. -

Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Timothy Murphy

Rick Stevens wrote:

> "service network start|restart" depends on having an "ONBOOT=yes" line
> in the ifcfg-eth0 file. If you can type in "ifup eth0" and the card
> comes up, then you probably have "ONBOOT=no" or no line in the file.

I'm pretty sure I tried "ifup eth0" in this case,
and it didn't work.

One of the many annoying things about WiFi
is the way several programs modify ifcfg-<xyz>.
I don't mind programs like system-config-<whatever> doing this,
after all you are asking for it in such a case,
but I'd really prefer if anyone wants to alter my /etc/files
if they would ask me first, or at least tell me what they have done ...

Old 12-31-2007, 09:06 PM
"Tod Merley"

---------------------------------->8

------------------------------------>8
> Actually, I'm almost certain I wasn't running NetworkManager (NM)
> on the computer in question.

Hi Timothy Murphy!

Easy to find out:
------------------------
[tod@localhost ~]$ ps aux | grep Net ; ps aux | grep nm
root 2139 0.0 0.3 14680 1668 ? Ssl 12:39 0:00
NetworkManager --pid-file=/var/run/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.pid
tod 3412 0.0 0.1 4008 716 pts/0 S+ 13:54 0:00 grep Net
tod 2520 0.1 5.0 58744 25804 ? S 12:40 0:06
nm-applet --sm-disable
tod 3414 0.0 0.1 4008 716 pts/0 S+ 13:54 0:00 grep nm

Old 01-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Timothy Murphy

Tod Merley wrote:

>> Actually, I'm almost certain I wasn't running NetworkManager (NM)
>> on the computer in question.
>
> Hi Timothy Murphy!
>
> Easy to find out:

I don't actually have access to the laptop I was talking about
at this moment.
However, if I did I would have no difficulty telling if NM was running,
or turning it off if it was.

My claim is: when the laptop booted (without NM)
it did not try to bring eth0 up,
even though there was a file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 .

As I said, I am only 99% sure of the setup at the time.
But I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this experience
(with Fedora-8).

Old 01-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 14:01 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> My claim is: when the laptop booted (without NM)
> it did not try to bring eth0 up,
> even though there was a
> file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 .

There mere presence of that file doesn't mean it will be brought up, you
also have to have the configuration set to bring it up at boot up.

Do you?

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Timothy Murphy

Tim wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 14:01 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> My claim is: when the laptop booted (without NM)
>> it did not try to bring eth0 up,
>> even though there was a
>> file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 .
>
> There mere presence of that file doesn't mean it will be brought up, you
> also have to have the configuration set to bring it up at boot up.
>
> Do you?

ifcfg-eth0 did say "ONBOOT=yes".
I always set this.

I may have access to the laptop again soon.
I'll see exactly what the settings are.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:30 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 01/01/2008, Timothy Murphy <tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> My claim is: when the laptop booted (without NM)
> it did not try to bring eth0 up,
> even though there was a file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 .

Perhaps you forgot to turn on the "network" service - in F8 it is off
by default because NM is on by default. You need to turn NM off and
chkconfig network on.