Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Craig White

Default autofs for idiots

Trying to get my head around plain autofs before I attempt ldap

I can nfs mount via /etc/fstab...
#srv1:/home/storage/users /home/storage/users nfs user,suid,dev,exec
0 0

It's commented out and not presently mounted

why doesn't this work? (comments removed)

# cat auto.master
/net /etc/auto.net
/home/storage/users /etc/auto.misc

# cat auto.misc
cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
/home/storage/users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users

# service autofs restart
Stopping automount: [ OK ]
Starting automount: [ OK ]

# ls -l /home/storage/users
total 0

it should show all user files

Why doesn't this work? I've been through every man page, etc.

Craig

Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Mike

Trying to get my head around plain autofs before I attempt ldap

I can nfs mount via /etc/fstab...
#srv1:/home/storage/users /home/storage/users nfs user,suid,dev,exec
0 0

It's commented out and not presently mounted

why doesn't this work? (comments removed)

# cat auto.master
/net /etc/auto.net
/home/storage/users /etc/auto.misc

# cat auto.misc
cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
/home/storage/users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users

# service autofs restart
Stopping automount: [ OK ]
Starting automount: [ OK ]

# ls -l /home/storage/users
total 0

it should show all user files

Why doesn't this work? I've been through every man page, etc.

Craig

I'm by no means an expert but I use syntax like this for auto mounting
CIFS shares.

in /etc/auto.master:
/home/storage /etc/auto.misc

then in /etc/auto.misc:
/users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users

-- Mike

Old 11-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Mike

[...]

D'oh!

in /etc/auto.misc that should be:

Old 11-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 15:43 -0700, Mike wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Mike wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Craig White wrote:
> >
> >> Trying to get my head around plain autofs before I attempt ldap
> >>
> >> I can nfs mount via /etc/fstab...
> >> #srv1:/home/storage/users /home/storage/users nfs user,suid,dev,exec
> >> 0 0
> >>
> >> It's commented out and not presently mounted
> >>
> >> why doesn't this work? (comments removed)
> >>
> >> # cat auto.master
> >> /net /etc/auto.net
> >> /home/storage/users /etc/auto.misc
> >>
> >> # cat auto.misc
> >> cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
> >> /home/storage/users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users
> >>
> >> # service autofs restart
> >> Stopping automount: [ OK ]
> >> Starting automount: [ OK ]
> >>
> >> # ls -l /home/storage/users
> >> total 0
> >>
> >> it should show all user files
> >>
> >> Why doesn't this work? I've been through every man page, etc.
> >>
> >> Craig
> >>

> > I'm by no means an expert but I use syntax like this for auto mounting CIFS
> > shares.
> >
> > in /etc/auto.master:
> > /home/storage /etc/auto.misc
> >
> > then in /etc/auto.misc:
> > /users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users
> >
> > -- Mike
> >

> D'oh!
>
> in /etc/auto.misc that should be:
> users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users
----
it creates a '0' size directory which of course is unusable...

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2007-11-21 15:46 users

;-(

This is Fedora 8...does that matter?

Craig

Old 11-21-2007, 09:52 PM
John Summerfield

Craig White wrote:

Trying to get my head around plain autofs before I attempt ldap

I can nfs mount via /etc/fstab...
#srv1:/home/storage/users /home/storage/users nfs user,suid,dev,exec
0 0

It's commented out and not presently mounted

why doesn't this work? (comments removed)

# cat auto.master
/net /etc/auto.net
/home/storage/users /etc/auto.misc

# cat auto.misc
cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
/home/storage/users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users

# service autofs restart
Stopping automount: [ OK ]
Starting automount: [ OK ]

# ls -l /home/storage/users
total 0

it should show all user files

Why doesn't this work? I've been through every man page, etc.

Read /var/log/messages hither and thither.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Please do not reply off-list

Old 11-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 15:43 -0700, Mike wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Mike wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Craig White wrote:
> >
> >> Trying to get my head around plain autofs before I attempt ldap
> >>
> >> I can nfs mount via /etc/fstab...
> >> #srv1:/home/storage/users /home/storage/users nfs user,suid,dev,exec
> >> 0 0
> >>
> >> It's commented out and not presently mounted
> >>
> >> why doesn't this work? (comments removed)
> >>
> >> # cat auto.master
> >> /net /etc/auto.net
> >> /home/storage/users /etc/auto.misc
> >>
> >> # cat auto.misc
> >> cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
> >> /home/storage/users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users
> >>
> >> # service autofs restart
> >> Stopping automount: [ OK ]
> >> Starting automount: [ OK ]
> >>
> >> # ls -l /home/storage/users
> >> total 0
> >>
> >> it should show all user files
> >>
> >> Why doesn't this work? I've been through every man page, etc.
> >>
> >> Craig
> >>

> > I'm by no means an expert but I use syntax like this for auto mounting CIFS
> > shares.
> >
> > in /etc/auto.master:
> > /home/storage /etc/auto.misc
> >
> > then in /etc/auto.misc:
> > /users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users
> >
> > -- Mike
> >

> D'oh!
>
> in /etc/auto.misc that should be:
> users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users

----
yes indeed...you are correct. My problem is in my haste, I was trying
tab completion which is a tacky way of testing automount existence.

;-)

Thanks

Craig

Old 11-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 07:52 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > Trying to get my head around plain autofs before I attempt ldap
> >
> > I can nfs mount via /etc/fstab...
> > #srv1:/home/storage/users /home/storage/users nfs user,suid,dev,exec
> > 0 0
> >
> > It's commented out and not presently mounted
> >
> > why doesn't this work? (comments removed)
> >
> > # cat auto.master
> > /net /etc/auto.net
> > /home/storage/users /etc/auto.misc
> >
> > # cat auto.misc
> > cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
> > /home/storage/users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users
> >
> > # service autofs restart
> > Stopping automount: [ OK ]
> > Starting automount: [ OK ]
> >
> > # ls -l /home/storage/users
> > total 0
> >
> > it should show all user files
> >
> > Why doesn't this work? I've been through every man page, etc.
>
> Read /var/log/messages hither and thither.
----
doesn't log - would if it did...it's not as if I didn't check

thanks - I got it working now...have moved on to bigger knives...trying
to duplicate it all out of ldap

Craig

Old 11-22-2007, 01:18 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:04:09 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> Trying to get my head around plain autofs before I attempt ldap
>
> I can nfs mount via /etc/fstab...
> #srv1:/home/storage/users /home/storage/users nfs user,suid,dev,exec
> 0 0
>
> It's commented out and not presently mounted
>
> why doesn't this work? (comments removed)
>
> # cat auto.master
> /net /etc/auto.net
> /home/storage/users /etc/auto.misc
>
> # cat auto.misc
> cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
> /home/storage/users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users
>
> # service autofs restart
> Stopping automount: [ OK ]
> Starting automount: [ OK ]
>
> # ls -l /home/storage/users
> total 0
>
> it should show all user files
>
> Why doesn't this work? I've been through every man page, etc.
>
> Craig

You do know autofs has been set up by default so that it works out of the
box. Just keep the original /etc/auto* files, make sure that autofs is
running and do

cd /net/server/foobar

and you're there. All nfs partitions that a client can see are under
/net/<server>/. In the above example, the server exports /foobar.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Craig White

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 02:18 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:04:09 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
> > Trying to get my head around plain autofs before I attempt ldap
> >
> > I can nfs mount via /etc/fstab...
> > #srv1:/home/storage/users /home/storage/users nfs user,suid,dev,exec
> > 0 0
> >
> > It's commented out and not presently mounted
> >
> > why doesn't this work? (comments removed)
> >
> > # cat auto.master
> > /net /etc/auto.net
> > /home/storage/users /etc/auto.misc
> >
> > # cat auto.misc
> > cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
> > /home/storage/users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users
> >
> > # service autofs restart
> > Stopping automount: [ OK ]
> > Starting automount: [ OK ]
> >
> > # ls -l /home/storage/users
> > total 0
> >
> > it should show all user files
> >
> > Why doesn't this work? I've been through every man page, etc.
> >
> > Craig
>

> You do know autofs has been set up by default so that it works out of the
> box. Just keep the original /etc/auto* files, make sure that autofs is
> running and do
>
> cd /net/server/foobar
>
> and you're there. All nfs partitions that a client can see are under
> /net/<server>/. In the above example, the server exports /foobar.
----
I didn't know that thanks - in reality, that couldn't work for me
without a lot of changes since the users $HOME directory is set by LDAP
and it would have to necessarily have to be in the /home tree (or I'm
doing a whole bunch of changes).

The exercise wasn't really to use autofs as indicated but to use autofs
via ldap and I just wanted an intermediate step to learn how it works.

Thanks

Now, if someone really wants to help, I've been pursuing the LDAP angle
on tikanga-list since the LDAP server is RHEL (clients are primarily
Fedora 7, still trying to work out regression issues in Fedora 8)...

https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-list/2007-November/msg00171.html

which suggests that there is an ou called automountMapName but I cannot
locate it in the autofs.schema (or any schema), can't create the dn as
the documentation suggests in

https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/RHEL510/Deployment_Guide/s2-nfs-config-autofs-LDAP.html

# grep -r automountMap /etc/openldap/schema/*
/etc/openldap/schema/redhat/autofs.schemabjectclass
( 1.3.6.1.4.1.2312.4.2.2 NAME 'automountMap' SUP top STRUCTURAL

# grep -ir automountMapName /etc/openldap/schema/*
#

I can see in
/usr/share/doc/autofs-5.0.1/ldap-automount-rfc2307-bis-auto.master
that the entry is there but I can't find any schema support for creating
entries with a dn that begins

automountMapName= anything

Craig

Old 11-22-2007, 03:20 AM
Joseph Loo

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 19:36 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 02:18 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:04:09 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> >
> > > Trying to get my head around plain autofs before I attempt ldap
> > >
> > > I can nfs mount via /etc/fstab...
> > > #srv1:/home/storage/users /home/storage/users nfs user,suid,dev,exec
> > > 0 0
> > >
> > > It's commented out and not presently mounted
> > >
> > > why doesn't this work? (comments removed)
> > >
> > > # cat auto.master
> > > /net /etc/auto.net
> > > /home/storage/users /etc/auto.misc
> > >
> > > # cat auto.misc
> > > cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
> > > /home/storage/users -fstype=nfs srv1:/home/storage/users
> > >
> > > # service autofs restart
> > > Stopping automount: [ OK ]
> > > Starting automount: [ OK ]
> > >
> > > # ls -l /home/storage/users
> > > total 0
> > >
> > > it should show all user files
> > >
> > > Why doesn't this work? I've been through every man page, etc.
> > >
> > > Craig
> >

> > You do know autofs has been set up by default so that it works out of the
> > box. Just keep the original /etc/auto* files, make sure that autofs is
> > running and do
> >
> > cd /net/server/foobar
> >
> > and you're there. All nfs partitions that a client can see are under
> > /net/<server>/. In the above example, the server exports /foobar.
> ----
> I didn't know that thanks - in reality, that couldn't work for me
> without a lot of changes since the users $HOME directory is set by LDAP
> and it would have to necessarily have to be in the /home tree (or I'm
> doing a whole bunch of changes).
>
> The exercise wasn't really to use autofs as indicated but to use autofs
> via ldap and I just wanted an intermediate step to learn how it works.
>
> Thanks
>
> Now, if someone really wants to help, I've been pursuing the LDAP angle
> on tikanga-list since the LDAP server is RHEL (clients are primarily
> Fedora 7, still trying to work out regression issues in Fedora 8)...
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-list/2007-November/msg00171.html
>
> which suggests that there is an ou called automountMapName but I cannot
> locate it in the autofs.schema (or any schema), can't create the dn as
> the documentation suggests in
>
> https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/RHEL510/Deployment_Guide/s2-nfs-config-autofs-LDAP.html
>
> # grep -r automountMap /etc/openldap/schema/*
> /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/autofs.schemabjectclass
> ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.2312.4.2.2 NAME 'automountMap' SUP top STRUCTURAL
>
> # grep -ir automountMapName /etc/openldap/schema/*
> #
>
> I can see in
> /usr/share/doc/autofs-5.0.1/ldap-automount-rfc2307-bis-auto.master
> that the entry is there but I can't find any schema support for creating
> entries with a dn that begins
>
> automountMapName= anything
>
> Craig

Generally when you use the automounts, you can have the automounter,
mount the individual directories for each user. That way you can have
different user use the exported drives from different machines. This
allows a user to login in machine a or b and have his home directory in
machine b..
--
Joseph Loo
jloo@acm.org