Old 12-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Using console.perms

I share this because no one else seems to understand. Assume you
want to change owner of /dev/ttyS0 to user when user logs in. Otherwise
it reverts to root.

Observe that there is a place on /etc where you can do things. So we
will first try /etc/console and see what's there. Nothing. Now try
/etc/security/. This is interesting and you see:

[root@k5di security]# ls
access.conf console.perms namespace.conf pam_winbind.conf
chroot.conf console.perms.d namespace.init sepermit.conf
console.apps group.conf opasswd time.conf
console.handlers limits.conf pam_env.conf

Now you see console.perms and console.perms.d. Here is what these files
look like:

[root@k5di security]# more console.perms.d

*** console.perms.d: directory ***

# /etc/security/console.perms
#
# This file determines the permissions that will be given to priviledged
# users of the console at login time, and the permissions to which to
# revert when the users log out.

# format is:
# <class>=list of regexps specifying consoles or globs specifying files
# file-glob|<class> perm dev-regex|<dev-class>
# revert-mode revert-owner[.revert-group]
# the revert-mode, revert-owner, and revert-group are optional, and default
# to 0600, root, and root, respectively.
#
# For more information:
# man 5 console.perms
#
# This file should not be modified.
# Rather a new file in the console.perms.d directory should be created.

# file classes -- these are regular expressions
<console>=tty[0-9][0-9]* vc/[0-9][0-9]* :[0-9]+.[0-9]+ :[0-9]+
<xconsole>=:[0-9]+.[0-9]+ :[0-9]+
** Joe's Own Editor v3.5 ** (utf-8) ** Copyright 2006 **

Now go to the console.perms.d directory

[root@k5di security]# cd console.perms.d
[root@k5di console.perms.d]# ls
50-default.perms ttyS0.perms
[root@k5di console.perms.d]#

And ttyS0.perms is:

[root@k5di console.perms.d]# more ttyS0.perms
# this file should give /dev/ttyS0 proper priv's for me.
#device classes
<ttyS0>=/dev/ttyS0
# permission definitions
<console> 0600 <ttyS0> 0600 root.uucp
[root@k5di console.perms.d]#

and this works fine, of course.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-31-2007, 01:11 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 17:17 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> and this works fine, of course.

And has *explained* nothing. No, "how," no "why," no clues about it.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Karl Larsen

Tim wrote:

And has *explained* nothing. No, "how," no "why," no clues about it.

It explains a whole lot more than the man page. It says you really
can do this, and it works.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-31-2007, 12:26 PM
"Jacques B."

On Dec 31, 2007 8:04 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 17:17 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >
> >> and this works fine, of course.
> >>

> > And has *explained* nothing. No, "how," no "why," no clues about it.
> >

> It explains a whole lot more than the man page. It says you really
> can do this, and it works.
>
> Karl

I have to agree with Tim. You did not explain anything at all. You
simply pointed out two files and their contents. You did not explain
at all what entries are required in those files to achieve the sought
after results. You provide no explanation at all of why I'd go into
those files to change ownership of /dev/ttyS0. You provide no
explanation of what changes you've made to those files (if any). As
Tim pointed out, you provide no explanation at all.

At best you provided a "I have this in these files and it works for me
so it will work for you. Just do it." which has been typical of any
guides you've attempted to post in the past. But you didn't even say
that much because as I stated above, it isn't even clear if you've
made any manual changes to those files (and if so how did you make
those changes - for the lay person), and if so what changes did you
make and why.

If you don't understand it well enough to answer such questions then
at best you can post in response to someone asking about this topic
something to the effect that "This is what I did and it worked for me.
Not sure why, but it works." This way at least the person reading it
knows that you are not offering informed/authoritative advice and that
it should therefore be taken accordingly with the risks that come with
such advice.

Jacques B.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:45 PM
"Mark C. Allman"

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 08:26 -0500, Jacques B. wrote:
> On Dec 31, 2007 8:04 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> > Tim wrote:

> > > And has *explained* nothing. No, "how," no "why," no clues about it.
> > >

> > It explains a whole lot more than the man page. It says you really
> > can do this, and it works.
> >
> > Karl
> >

> I have to agree with Tim. You did not explain anything at all. You
> simply pointed out two files and their contents. You did not explain
> at all what entries are required in those files to achieve the sought
> after results. You provide no explanation at all of why I'd go into
> those files to change ownership of /dev/ttyS0. You provide no
> explanation of what changes you've made to those files (if any). As
> Tim pointed out, you provide no explanation at all.
>
> At best you provided a "I have this in these files and it works for me
> so it will work for you. Just do it." which has been typical of any
> guides you've attempted to post in the past. But you didn't even say
> that much because as I stated above, it isn't even clear if you've
> made any manual changes to those files (and if so how did you make
> those changes - for the lay person), and if so what changes did you
> make and why.
>
> If you don't understand it well enough to answer such questions then
> at best you can post in response to someone asking about this topic
> something to the effect that "This is what I did and it worked for me.
> Not sure why, but it works." This way at least the person reading it
> knows that you are not offering informed/authoritative advice and that
> it should therefore be taken accordingly with the risks that come with
> such advice.
>
> Jacques B.

Karl's post reads fine to me. I didn't look at his post as a "guide."
True, I haven't had my pot of coffee yet.... ;=]

-- Mark C, Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution

Old 12-31-2007, 02:10 PM
"Jacques B."

> Karl's post reads fine to me. I didn't look at his post as a "guide."
> True, I haven't had my pot of coffee yet.... ;=]
>
> -- Mark C, Allman, PMP

I am still in agreement with Tim. Karl explained nothing in that
original posting despite his follow up claim that it explains more
than the man pages. I do agree with Karl that the man and info pages
on console.perms are poor. I just don't agree that his posting has
provided any explanation. He simply provided the content of his
configuration files relating to the topic with no explanation at all
beyond his opening comments about changing ownership of /dev/ttyS0.

What he posted may very well be helpful to someone dealing with that
issue. But it's certainly not clear to me (and I consider myself to
have reasonable knowledge of Linux - more in some areas of it, less in
others, none yet in others). If it contained proper explanations (any
explanations) I should at least have a general idea about it and if
properly explained I would know how to apply this to either /dev/ttyS0
or some other device should my circumstances require it. Neither is
the case.

And for the record, I'm not asking you (Karl) to attempt to post
something more authoritative on this issue to the listserv, unless in
response to someone soliciting help on this topic. If you have some
unsolicited tips, follow the example of others and put it on a site of
your own and simply provide a link here for those interested in it.

Jacques B.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:31 PM
Karl Larsen

Tim wrote:

[...]

Please guys, I wrote the original message in 5 minutes. I wanted to
add a full explanation to the man page but the Doc guys said no. We do
not want new people messing with console.perms.

I have a paper written up but it is much longer. If you want to see
it I will send it to you.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI