Old 12-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Way to temporarily disable plugins in Firefox, when testing site requirements

Nigel Henry wrote:
From time to time folks are asking to test out a site to see if it works in
Firefox. If you have all the various plugins installed, the site may work ok,
but you have no idea as to which of your plugins are making the site work ok,
or which plugins are required by the site.

As an example, someone asked to test out a site, and as it so happened I had a
distro running with no flash-plugin, or Suns JRE installed. The site had 2
windows with plugin problems. One wanted flash, the other JRE.

Perhaps I might be asking a bit much, but is there some way to temporarily
disable all the Firefox/Mozilla plugins, so as to check out which plugins a
particular site requires?

A bit of an academic question, but it would be nice if it was possible.

# firefox --safe-mode disables plugins and themes only for that session.

Rahul

Old 12-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:27:26 -0600
Steven Stern <subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:

> There seems to be no quick and easy (and easily reversible) way to
> disable plugins.

I have a little shell script that I use to rename libflashplayer.so
to NOTlibflashplayer.soNOT when I want to turn off flash, and
another script to do the reverse. I suppose a similar thing would
work for each plugin (at least the ones that come as shared libs
like flash).

Old 12-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Tom Horsley wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:27:26 -0600
>
>Steven Stern <subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:
>> There seems to be no quick and easy (and easily reversible) way to
>> disable plugins.
>
>I have a little shell script that I use to rename libflashplayer.so
>to NOTlibflashplayer.soNOT when I want to turn off flash, and
>another script to do the reverse. I suppose a similar thing would
>work for each plugin (at least the ones that come as shared libs
>like flash).

Another possibility, and one I've used for a while now because a blow it all
away install of the next new version doesn't wipe it out, is to put your
plugins directory tree out of the browsers own install tree, then symlink it
to the real directory. To disable all plugins is then a matter of going to
that browsers tree and blowing away the plugins symlink. Its easily
restored.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-31-2007, 02:38 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Nigel Henry wrote:
>On Sunday 30 December 2007 21:24, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 30 December 2007, Tom Horsley wrote:

>> >I have a little shell script that I use to rename libflashplayer.so
>> >to NOTlibflashplayer.soNOT when I want to turn off flash, and
>> >another script to do the reverse. I suppose a similar thing would
>> >work for each plugin (at least the ones that come as shared libs
>> >like flash).
>>
>> Another possibility, and one I've used for a while now because a blow it
>> all away install of the next new version doesn't wipe it out, is to put
>> your plugins directory tree out of the browsers own install tree, then
>> symlink it to the real directory. To disable all plugins is then a matter
>> of going to that browsers tree and blowing away the plugins symlink. Its
>> easily restored.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>
>Hi Gene. Rahul's suggestion only suspends extensions (netcraft, add block
>plus, etc) , but not the plugins in aboutlugins.
>
>What would be ideal for me is having 2 desktop launchers for Firefox. One
>having all plugins in aboutlugins enabled, and the other having no plugins
>in aboutlugins enabled.
>
>Perhaps I'm asking a bit much here, but folks from time to time have
> problems accesing sites, due to missing plugins, or faulty plugins, and
> being able to start Firefox with nothing in aboutlugins, go to a site,
> and see what plugins the site wants would be really usefull.
>
>Any idiot proof instructions for doing the above?
>
>Nigel.

Well, in the icon I launch it from is the path to the executable, located in
the third tab of its properties, brought up by right clicking the icon.

There is not any reason that I know of that this path to the executable
couldn't be a script to set the options in one of the icons to disable the
plugins by a cli option I think someone posted just now. There may be even
simpler ways, but that is how I would approach it, while maintaining a fully
functioning version at the same time in the other icon. I'd also change the
icons name so you knew at a glance which one you were about to click on, but
that's a given one shouldn't have to RTFM to discover, just common sense.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)