Old 12-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Intermittent Disaster

My Fedora 7 and 8 are working fine. Typically I bring up my Firefox
web browser and try to read what is on the Google page. It is from a
newspaper and it has a lot of advertising and pop-ups. While all this is
coming up, sometimes it keys a sudden loss of the screen due to a full
screen cross-hatch, and neither keyboard or Mouse work. The only thing
to do is turn off power to the computer.

This is an unacceptable event. It makes me MAD and since using ext3
I can turn off the computer and not loose anything but sometimes I
reboot and the problem will appear again in just a few minutes.

This problem started right after I changed to this computer. And so
did the need to get a Nvidia driver for Linux. So I think it must be the
Nvidia software generating this. But I do not know this for a fact
because the problem is very intermittent.

I hate this problem so much I plan to load another F8 and see if one
without Nvidia has the problem. The screen is just 800x600 but I can get
Firefox working and see what happens.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Beartooth Sciurivore

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:03:49 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:

> My Fedora 7 and 8 are working fine. Typically I bring up my Firefox web
> browser and try to read what is on the Google page. It is from a
> newspaper and it has a lot of advertising and pop-ups. While all this is
> coming up, sometimes it keys a sudden loss of the screen due to a full
> screen cross-hatch, and neither keyboard or Mouse work. The only thing
> to do is turn off power to the computer.

You don't say what extensions you have installed in Firefox, nor
whether you even have it behind a proxy. Before doing a lot of work, I'd
try (if you haven't) putting firefox behind privoxy, and getting the
NoScript and Adblock extensions.

If you already have those defenses, I'm no judge what to try next.

Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.24, Firefox 2.0

Old 12-30-2007, 04:37 PM
David Boles

Karl Larsen wrote:

> My Fedora 7 and 8 are working fine. Typically I bring up my Firefox
> web browser and try to read what is on the Google page. It is from a
> newspaper and it has a lot of advertising and pop-ups. While all this is
> coming up, sometimes it keys a sudden loss of the screen due to a full
> screen cross-hatch, and neither keyboard or Mouse work. The only thing
> to do is turn off power to the computer.
>
> This is an unacceptable event. It makes me MAD and since using ext3 I
> can turn off the computer and not loose anything but sometimes I reboot
> and the problem will appear again in just a few minutes.
>
> This problem started right after I changed to this computer. And so
> did the need to get a Nvidia driver for Linux. So I think it must be the
> Nvidia software generating this. But I do not know this for a fact
> because the problem is very intermittent.
>
> I hate this problem so much I plan to load another F8 and see if one
> without Nvidia has the problem. The screen is just 800x600 but I can get
> Firefox working and see what happens.

I do not know about your video driver problem.

But to help your Firefox experience I have four suggestions.

1) Install the Adblock Plus extension

This stops all, or most, of those adds and speeds up the pages loading.

2) Install the Flashblock extension.

This blocks flash from all sites and you can, as you wish, allow flash
from certain sites as you choose.

3) Remove all of the languages that you do not need from the extensions.
English is 'built-in' and these are checked for updates each time you
load Firefox. Slows down the loading. This has to be done as 'root' and
they will be replaced with each Firefox upgrade from Fedora.

4) use the squid proxy

Yum install squid

service squid start

goto the services menu and set squid to start on boot in levels 3 and 5.

save and close the window

start Firefox > Edit > Preferences > Connections 'settings...' button

select manual proxy configuration

in the box HTTP Proxy type 127.0.0.1

in the box Port type 3128

check the box Use this proxy for all protocols

click ok

set Cache to 0 (that is the number zero)

click clean now

click close

Enjoy the speed up

- --

David

Old 12-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Frank Cox

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/squid-privoxy/index.html

Old 12-30-2007, 05:09 PM
"Dick Seabrook"

On Dec 30, 2007 12:29 PM, Beartooth Sciurivore <beartooth@swva.net> wrote:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:03:49 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:

> My Fedora 7 and 8 are working fine. Typically I bring up my Firefox web
> browser and try to read what is on the Google page. It is from a

> newspaper and it has a lot of advertising and pop-ups. While all this is
> coming up, sometimes it keys a sudden loss of the screen due to a full
> screen cross-hatch, and neither keyboard or Mouse work. The only thing

> to do is turn off power to the computer.

You could also be having an overheating problem.* You might check to
make sure your fans (case, chip, power supply) are working correctly

and the intakes are not full of lint.
Dick S.
--
Dick Seabrook ~ Anne Arundel Community College
http://enterprise.aacc.edu/~rhs ~ Speed the Net!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Karl Larsen