Old 01-01-2008, 05:36 AM
David Boles

Default Intermittent Disaster

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 12:03 +1030, Tim wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 15:42 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
>>> [root@localhost ~]# tail /var/log/squid/squid.out
>>> Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE16): Terminated abnormally.
>>> CPU Usage: 0.010 seconds = 0.003 user + 0.007 sys
>>> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
>>> Page faults with physical i/o: 9
>>> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname. Please
>>> set 'visible_hostname'

> and localhost was only set in Firefox in his example.
>
> By default you should already have "localhost" set to 127.0.0.1
> in /etc/hosts, here's mine with my local junkyard network:
>
> [root@iam maps]# more /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
> 192.168.1.104 ru.wayward4now.net ru
> 192.168.1.103 ima.wayward4now.net ima
> 192.168.1.102 ur.wayward4now.net ur
> 192.168.1.101 iam.wayward4now.net iam
>

> So just doing those edits to firefox should make it run just dandy if
> your /etc/hosts file has localhost set.
>
> Fire up Firefox
>
> click on edit > preferences > advanced > network > settings
> and you'll see the page he references. click on the button = 'manual',
> then add the following values:
>
> HTTP proxy [127.0.0.1] Port [ 3128]
>
> That should fire up when you restart Firefox. Did I leave anything out
> David? Thank you for your instructions. It was nifty. Ric

Well... You don't need to restart Firefox. But it does not hurt. If this
continues to be a problem put:

visible_hostname localhost (notice the underline)

at the end of squid.conf and restart squid. It has to read the change.

There is also a way to hide your info from the sites you visit. Someone,
I think it is Frank(?), has a really nice page on using privoxy and
squid together to do that. That's what I do. I had not seen his page
before but what I knew, what he wrote about, was something I know from
way back in Junkbuster days. Maybe '82?

- --

David