Old 12-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Installing Fedora without Gnome using the DVD

Michael C wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering whether it's possible to select KDE to the exclusion of
Gnome in Anaconda using the Install DVD.

This is what I'd intended to do when I installed F8 last month, but
despite checking KDE and unchecking Gnome, it was installed regardless.
I assumed at the time that I'd unwittingly selected Gnome development
tools in the "Development" section, and Gnome had been erroneously
dragged in as a dependency!

You probably selected or skipped unselecting a package that was
dependent on GNOME or GTK libraries. If you want KDE, I would strongly
recommend you download the KDE spin instead.

http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

KDE Live Media is installable to hard disk or USB flash disk too.

Rahul

Old 12-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Felix Miata

On 2007/12/30 19:11 (GMT+0530) Rahul Sundaram apparently typed:

> KDE Live Media is installable to hard disk

How can I do that without it converting my preformatted bs=1024 target / to a
space wasting bs=4096?
--
Jesus Christ, the reason for the season.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Old 12-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Felix Miata wrote:

On 2007/12/30 19:11 (GMT+0530) Rahul Sundaram apparently typed:

KDE Live Media is installable to hard disk

How can I do that without it converting my preformatted bs=1024 target / to a
space wasting bs=4096?

Not sure. Might be a good question for fedora-livecd list.

Rahul

Old 12-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Michael C wrote:
Thanks. But having unwittingly installed Gnome, would I then be able to
remove it with

yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"
?

Sure. That's always possible.

Rahul

Old 12-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Michael C

ne... wrote:

I was wondering whether it's possible to select KDE to the exclusion of
Gnome in Anaconda using the Install DVD.

Not really. You will still be left with a few gnome rpms. You need to choose
the option to customize the install, go thru each and every option and un-select
all the gnome rpms. Else, you could try doing a kickstart install

ne...

Thanks. But having unwittingly installed Gnome, would I then be able to
remove it with

yum groupremove "GNOME Desktop Environment"
?

Best wishes,

Michael

Old 12-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Michael C wrote:

I've had a look into this, and it seems that the command removes a fair
bit more than just Gnome

It would remove anything dependent on GNOME/GNOME libraries which is
probably quite a lot.

Just as a matter of interest, if I were to install Fedora 8 using the
KDE Live Media CD, would there be any means of controlling the fonts and
font sizes used by Gtk apps other than via

(i) the gtk-qt-engine, which currently causes havoc in OpenOffice by
making icons and menu entries disappear, or through
(ii) the Gnome Control Center, which is a component part of, erm, Gnome...?

There is ongoing discussion about exactly this at

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-December/msg01788.html

If you have problems with the gtk-qt-engine you should file them in
upstream bugzilla.

Rahul