Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Steve_Tind

Default Broadcom BCM94311MCG mini-pci

This is regarding a thread in the devel list:

http://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=ASC&topic_id=452 57&forum=11 [1]

I hope you guys are reading this.

I have managed to get mine working, but via a somewhat difficult route.

I have used kmod-ndiswrapper and a driver I used (64 bit) successfully for some time.

Whilst mucking around I noticed that after a rmmod ndiswrapper the logs showed a requirement for firmware, so I followed the link & instructions in the link (I needed to be using the ndiswrapper wireless to do this) :
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware [2]

I used the firmware on that site, and populated /lib/firmware/b43 with the required firmware stuff.

I then did rmmod ndiswrapper, modprobe b43 and about 20s later Network Manager re-established a connection using the b43-pci-bridge but the LED on the laptop wasn't on, but who cares.

Yippee I though, not more ndiswrapper.

However on next boot no wireless, even though all the logs seemed to show everything as OK.

What I now do is use ndiswrapper to get the card into a warm state, and then rmmod ndiswrapper, modprobe b43 in rc.local

I do this because the b43 driver runs my card better then ndiswrapper!

It seems like I just need better firmware, however the b43-fwcutter doesn't recognise the checksum on the bcmwl5.sys I used for ndiswrapper.

Where can I submit my bcmwl5.sys to be included as a recognised file by b43-fwcutter.

Regards,
Steve

Links:
------
[1] http://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=ASC&topi c_id=45257&forum=11
[2] http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=230543&topic_id=49857&forum= 24#forumpost230543
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame fcp.surfsite.org@stephen-milner.me.uk.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Rick Stevens

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 14:45 +0100, Steve_Tind wrote:
> This is regarding a thread in the devel list:
>
> http://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=ASC&topic_id=452 57&forum=11 [1]
>
> I hope you guys are reading this.
>
> I have managed to get mine working, but via a somewhat difficult route.
>
> I have used kmod-ndiswrapper and a driver I used (64 bit) successfully for some time.
>
> Whilst mucking around I noticed that after a rmmod ndiswrapper the logs showed a requirement for firmware, so I followed the link & instructions in the link (I needed to be using the ndiswrapper wireless to do this) :
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware [2]
>
> I used the firmware on that site, and populated /lib/firmware/b43 with the required firmware stuff.
>
> I then did rmmod ndiswrapper, modprobe b43 and about 20s later Network Manager re-established a connection using the b43-pci-bridge but the LED on the laptop wasn't on, but who cares.
>
> Yippee I though, not more ndiswrapper.
>
> However on next boot no wireless, even though all the logs seemed to show everything as OK.
>
> What I now do is use ndiswrapper to get the card into a warm state, and then rmmod ndiswrapper, modprobe b43 in rc.local
>
> I do this because the b43 driver runs my card better then ndiswrapper!

Eh, did you edit /etc/modprobe.conf and change your driver from
ndiswrapper to b43?

Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Steve_Tind

> Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 14:45 +0100, Steve_Tind wrote:
> Eh, did you edit /etc/modprobe.conf and change your driver from
> ndiswrapper to b43?

Either you are missing the point or I am.

Yes I did edit /etc/modprobe.conf and added b43, but since ndiswrapper writes an /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper I removed that as well.

That in itself didn't get the Broadcom BCM94311MCG mini-pci working (as mentioned in the thread in the devel list, it isn't supported).

But I did manage to get it working by allowing ndiswrapper to load (after putting the said stuff back), and then rmmod ing it and then modprobe ing b43.

The point is that the b43 driver _works_ once the card has had the firmware loaded by ndiswrapper. I just need to know where to contact the folks who maintain b43-fwcutter so they can add the driver I have to the acknowledged set of drivers that it will cut firmware for.

Steve

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=230830&topic_id=49857&forum= 24#forumpost230830

Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Steve_Tind

> Eh, did you edit /etc/modprobe.conf and change your driver from
> ndiswrapper to b43?

Yeah I did all of that and more.

The problem is that if I skip the ndiswrapper bit, no-joy (problem in establishing the WEP security) but if I load ndiswrapper, remove it and add b43 then all works well.

I'm assuming the ndiswrapper is using better firmware than I am using with b43-fwcutter and I would like to submit my widows driver to the b43-fwcutter people so it can be recognised.

Steve

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=230842&topic_id=49857&forum= 24#forumpost230842