Old 12-30-2007, 08:21 PM
John Summerfield

Default Seeing input on Securing the Linux system from intrusions and attacks.

Tim wrote:

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 16:08 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

A little while ago, I bought a Thinkpad R40 at auction. It had Windows
XP SP2 professional more-or-less installed, ready for me to provide a
few personal details.

How confident were you that it wasn't trojaned already for you? It's
not the sort of thing I'd have much trust in.

I know the auction company fairly well, and it makes a decent effort at
identifying faults - way beyond what it's required to do, and it has a
reputation to preserve. Disks containing binary zeros are more common
than preinstalled software, install media are often included, licence
stickers are mostly in place.

It helps the vendor get better prices, buyers have better confidence in
what they're buying and the auction house gets more clients.

Besides, the XP side gets little use, I resized the partition and
installed OpenSUSE 10.2,

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Tim

Tim:
>> I thought I'd have a look at the BBC's / Patrick Moore's "Sky at Night" [1].
>> There's no way that I can make use of the view on-line feature.
>>
>> 1: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/spaceguide/skyatnight/

Carroll Grigsby:
> Since you're a Roger Moore fan, here is something that my grandchildren enjoy:
> http://www.gamegarage.co.uk/cartoons/patrick-moore/

Roger Moore? I prefer Sean Connery. But I've seen that already. ;-)

It might be better without being framed in a scenestealing site:
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/patrick+moore/

For a person involved in a such a serious subject, he's always been
doing offbeat things, he must be a good sport. I can remember him
sending up himself on the Goodies once or twice. But I've never seen
the show he's really famous for. I thought this was my chance, but damn
technology and the BBC for using Real Media...

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 18:59 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> More recently, we've had monitored security installed. Mrs S tends to
> be a little paranoid, and I thought it might be worth the dollars for
> her peace of mind.
>
> In several years, we've had no intrusions, but quite a few false
> alarms.

I had thought that it'd be an idea to try making a better security
system, one that made use of Linux, and used ADSL for reporting to a
security office. Either something like more than one sensor per room,
and both need tripping enough before being recognised as an alarm (like
ignoring moths or spiders going past one sensor), and multiple sensor
trips required to really be sure. Or, what interests me more, would be
high resolution cameras that show the security office whether the house
is empty, or what's going on (strange men taking stuff out and pillaging
the place, or recognisable images of the owners - which means supplying
the monitoring company with the owner's pictures).

The latter one seems hard on two counts:

Most cameras are crap, you couldn't recognise your own friends on the
pictures you see floated about on the news. So they're pretty crap at
trying to use them to catch a burglar, afterwards.

Trying to find something that's not just for Windows. You want it to be
easy to get working, and reliable. Even some of the standalone
networkable cameras depend on MSIE for you to see their pictures.

Years of false alarms have pissed me off, and so has having to go
through additional entry rituals to get into your own house before your
hearing gets assaulted by sirens.