Old 12-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Leslie Satenstein

Default Support for Microsoft VX-1000 webcam in fedora 7 and Fedora 8

I compiled the files that make up gspca and was able to make the webcam display.* However, the quality of the picture in Fedora is abismal. On a scale of 1 to 10, it is a 1.3.* This same camera under XP produces a picture that is a 9.5+

With XP, sound works. I have not been able to test sound with this webcam.

I believe that the whole area of webcam support must be revisited. Too many of us have needs to view and discuss (via skype, ekiga, msn, etc. etc.) with others across the continent or even across the ocean.

With Windows, I found a web site that describes the protocol in use for Windows (CE or other).* This protocol was valid before newer webcam versions appeared.

I really switch to XP to use the webcam. In the interrim, I am learning the source and the ioctl() functions to analyse webcam signals and decoding.

The webcams are with one or two chips. One part is dedicated to the USB protocol, and the other, for the actual
camera.* Some webcams can send the data raw, while others will compress the data and send it with much fewer characters.* The receiving driver's role is to decompress and present the output to the screen. If the output is a jpeg file, it may be recompressed to jpeg fomat.
Use camstream to test your webcam.#

Leslie