Old 12-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Karl Larsen

Default Java problem

Craig White wrote:

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 18:00 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:

The web page doesn't cover the problem if you got
jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin which is a bash file. What do you do with this

----
mv jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin /tmp
su -
cd /tmp
chmod u+x jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin
./jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin

but I thought you already had it installed

Craig

Not on F8.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-30-2007, 01:07 AM
David Boles

Old 12-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Ed Greshko

Karl Larsen wrote:
>>> The web page doesn't cover the problem if you got
>>> jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin which is a bash file. What do you do with
>>> this

You mean you could find....

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/index.html

--
The two most beautiful words in the English language are "Cheque Enclosed."
-- Dorothy Parker

Old 12-30-2007, 01:57 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 10:21 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> You mean you could find....
>
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/index.html

----
He was following Knute Johnsons' installation notes...

http://www.knutejohnson.com/sun-java-on-F8.html

which leaves that out

Craig

Old 12-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 21:07 -0500, David Boles wrote:

> Les Mikesell wrote:
>

> > I don't see this as conceptually much different than getting something
> > claiming to be java that isn't with fedora but the real thing with paid
> > RHEL/support.
> >

> Which really says it all Les. When you pay for RHEL and get all of these
> expected goodies and support and you sell your services using that paid
> for support you feel goo.
>
> When you d/l free Fedora and don't get all of these goodies and you sell
> your services...
>
> You get what you pay for always.
----
I dunno...sometimes you get less (not Les)

Craig

Old 12-30-2007, 02:06 AM
"Kam Leo"

On Dec 29, 2007 2:48 PM, David Boles <dgboles@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kam Leo wrote:

> >> I just have to ask you Karl. What OS or Linux distribution natively
> >> includes Sun Java? What OS or Linux distribution natively includes the
> >> Nvidia drivers that you install?
> >>

> > Expand your limited horizon. Try openSUSE 10.3.
>

> That was a fair question from me becasue i don't really know the answer.
>
> Here is some questions for you.
>
> Does "openSUSE 10.3" do what you want and need from Linux that Fedora
> does not? Or will not? Really?

Neither openSuSE nor Fedora are end-all products. Both distributions
make decent servers. However, neither is ready to replace Microsoft's
Windows OS and the applications for that OS. Some day perhaps; just
not today.

> So why are you still running Fedora? I would have switched in a heartbeat.

Fedora is fast paced and has fewer restraints on me with configuring a
system. I learn many things because of that pace.

Why do I have to exclusively run one variant of Linux? I have multiple
machines which are multi-booted.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:24 AM
David Boles

Old 12-30-2007, 02:27 AM
David Boles

Old 12-30-2007, 03:14 AM
Ed Greshko

Craig White wrote:

>> You mean you could find....
>>
>> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/index.html
>>

> ----
> He was following Knute Johnsons' installation notes...
>
> http://www.knutejohnson.com/sun-java-on-F8.html
>
> which leaves that out

Hummm.... Step 1 of that link simply says....

Download the Sun Java Linux RPM from java.sun.com and install it.

Just seems sensible that if you don't know what "install it" means and
can't figure it out for yourself that you'd look for help from the place
you downloaded. But, that's just me.... :-)

--
Of course you have a purpose -- to find a purpose.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:20 AM
"Kam Leo"

On Dec 29, 2007 7:24 PM, David Boles <dgboles@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kam Leo wrote:
> > On Dec 29, 2007 2:48 PM, David Boles <dgboles@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Neither openSuSE nor Fedora are end-all products. Both distributions
> > make decent servers. However, neither is ready to replace Microsoft's
> > Windows OS and the applications for that OS. Some day perhaps; just
> > not today.
>

> I am not familiar openSuSE. But I thought that, from what I have read,
> that openSuSE was a desktop oriented type distribution.

Novell Corporation is the principle sponsor of openSUSE. openSUSE has
an enterprise version with full support.

> > Fedora is fast paced and has fewer restraints on me with configuring a
> > system. I learn many things because of that pace.
> >
> > Why do I have to exclusively run one variant of Linux? I have multiple
> > machines which are multi-booted.
>

> An again Fedora is a desktop oriented distribution.

Says whom? Fedora is a test bed for Red Hat RHEL. Samba, apache, Open
Office, Gnome, and KDE are just applications running on top of the
latest version of the Linux OS. Which packages you install determines
whether your machine is a server, a desktop, or a hybrid.

> I see no problem, your choice of course, how many distributions you wish
> to run. I would not think, if it was me, that I would run a desktop
> distribution as a true server.
>
> May I ask why you do that? When there are several, many, good server
> oriented distributions, run desktop oriented distributions as servers?

Please tell me how the kernel, Apache, and Samba packages in the other
server distributions are any better than the ones provided with
Fedora.