Old 12-29-2007, 06:12 PM
"Jan Brosius"

Default wireless connection not working

Hi,
*
I have installed fedora 8 on*my Acer Aspire
9920G notebook. My internet adsl connection (PPoE) works when
I connect my notebook with my modem with an
ethernet cable (just the username and the password are required).
I have a wifi builtin in my notebook. However when
I unplug this network cable I can no longer connect to the
internet.
Wireless connecting works with vista (preinstalled
on my notebook).
My hardware specs that I*found in my technical
handbook are:
*
Intel Wireless Wifi Link*4965AGN
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
*
How can I connect connect wirelessly to the
internet?
*
Thanks for any help
Jan Brosius
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Old 12-29-2007, 09:35 PM
"Colin Brace"

On Dec 29, 2007 8:12 PM, Jan Brosius <jan.brosius@skynet.be> wrote:

> Intel Wireless Wifi Link 4965AGN
> Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

First thing I would do is check dmesg to see whether the iwl3945
kernel module is getting loaded.

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Old 12-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:12:17 +0100
Jan Brosius <jan.brosius@skynet.be> wrote:

> Intel Wireless Wifi Link 4965AGN
> Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
>
> How can I connect connect wirelessly to the internet?

In /etc/modprobe.conf:
alias wlan0 iwl4965

System-Config-Services
- Enable Network Manager services

System-Administration-Network
For both wired and wireless connection:
- any user can enable the connection
- use DHCP
- mode Managed

When connecting to a WEP-protected wireless network, you can just enter the WEP
password in the box that pops up on the screen.

When asked for your pam keyring password, I recommend that you use the same
password as your Gnome login password. That way Gnome can automatically feed
it to pam as required. Otherwise you have to enter that password every time
you log in so the network connection can be established.

You can change your pam keyring password by following the instructions here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager

Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 23:35 +0100, Colin Brace wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2007 8:12 PM, Jan Brosius <jan.brosius@skynet.be> wrote:
>
> > Intel Wireless Wifi Link 4965AGN
> > Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
>
> First thing I would do is check dmesg to see whether the iwl3945
> kernel module is getting loaded.
----
As I recall (and I was hoping someone more experienced with wireless
would pipe in here), it's probably easier to install NetworkManager and
switch between that and Network when you switch from wired to
wireless...

if not already installed...

yum install NetworkManager

*** for wireless ***
system network stop
system NetworkManager start
system NetworkManagerDispatcher start

and then use 'Administration => NetworkManager' to manage the wireless
interface

*** for wired connection ***
system NetworkManager stop
system NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
system network start

and you should be working again on wired connection

I don't know if I have the right names for NetworkManager and if I am
giving you the full picture since I don't do this myself and yes, this
is kind of a sloppy way to do things but probably the best way to
proceed on F8 system that switches from wired to wireless and back.

Craig

Old 12-29-2007, 10:00 PM
John Summerfield

Craig White wrote:

First thing I would do is check dmesg to see whether the iwl3945
kernel module is getting loaded.

----
As I recall (and I was hoping someone more experienced with wireless
would pipe in here), it's probably easier to install NetworkManager and
switch between that and Network when you switch from wired to
wireless...

if not already installed...

yum install NetworkManager

Not on my computer, it rarely does what I want.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Mike

Jan Brosius <jan.brosius <at> skynet.be> writes:

> How can I connect connect wirelessly to the
> internet?

I don't know if this will help but see:
http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mdc1/fedora_wireless.html

Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Gustavo J Mata

Hi, I have installed Debian 6.03 in a Dell Inspiron 700m. My wireless
connection is not working.

I'm using the WCID network manager under the LXDE desktop manager. (I
have 500 Mb of memory and 5.5 GB o disk space).

My Linksys router is configured to use WAP 2 Personal security.

Any hints?

Gustavo J. Mata

Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Steve Mayer

On Jan 31, 2012, at 1:17 PM, Gustavo J Mata wrote:
> Hi, I have installed Debian 6.03 in a Dell Inspiron 700m. My wireless
> connection is not working.
>
> I'm using the WCID network manager under the LXDE desktop manager. (I
> have 500 Mb of memory and 5.5 GB o disk space).
>
> My Linksys router is configured to use WAP 2 Personal security.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Gustavo J. Mata

Gustavo,

Have you looked in the contents of the /var/log/wicd/wicd.log file to see if there are any errors?

Steve Mayer
smayer69@me.com

"If you knew what you were doing you'd probably be bored." --

Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:47:30 -0430, Gustavo J Mata wrote:

> Hi, I have installed Debian 6.03 in a Dell Inspiron 700m. My wireless
> connection is not working.
>
> I'm using the WCID network manager under the LXDE desktop manager. (I
> have 500 Mb of memory and 5.5 GB o disk space).
>
> My Linksys router is configured to use WAP 2 Personal security.
>
> Any hints?

Yes... what kind of wireless adapter does your computer use? Maybe you
need to install a closed firmware to get the card working :-?

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Shaun Jones

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:47:30 -0430, Gustavo J Mata wrote:

> Hi, *I have installed Debian 6.03 in a Dell Inspiron 700m. My wireless

> connection is not working.

> I'm using the WCID network manager under the LXDE desktop manager. (I

> have 500 Mb of memory and 5.5 GB o disk space).

> My Linksys router is configured to use WAP 2 Personal security.

> Any hints?

Yes... what kind of wireless adapter does your computer use? Maybe you

need to install a closed firmware to get the card working :-?

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

Greetings,

--

Camaleón

--

*I know when I install xfce it uses wicd as well and I need to remove it and install gnome-networkmanager to get my wireless working. WICD does not even see my wireless network. *So figured it was a bug and I have the same router and same security configuration as you. So that would be my fix remove wicd and install network-manager.

--
Mister Jones*