-   -   sound on mac pro (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/24683-sound-mac-pro.html)

Arzan 12-29-2007 05:40 PM

sound on mac pro

Hi guys, sorry fedora/linux newbie here, I was finally able to get
fedora 8 running on my mac pro, I don't know if this would be the
right place to ask this question but here goes, for some reason the
volume of my sound under fedora is really low I have all the sound
sliders turned all the way up, even with my headphones on I can
barely hear it, I mean the main tower speaker is out of the question.
I know its not a problem with my sound card as it works like a charm
under os x and XP. Any suggestions on how to fix this please.

thanks
Sam

Aaron Konstam 12-29-2007 08:25 PM

sound on mac pro

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 10:40 -0800, Arzan wrote:
> Hi guys, sorry fedora/linux newbie here, I was finally able to get
> fedora 8 running on my mac pro, I don't know if this would be the
> right place to ask this question but here goes, for some reason the
> volume of my sound under fedora is really low I have all the sound
> sliders turned all the way up, even with my headphones on I can
> barely hear it, I mean the main tower speaker is out of the question.
> I know its not a problem with my sound card as it works like a charm
> under os x and XP. Any suggestions on how to fix this please.
>
> thanks
> Sam

I am not sure how pul;se audio affects thsi but what sliders are you
talking about. Are the alsamixer slides all up and not Muted (MM at
there base) To unmute type m.

Arzan 12-29-2007 09:52 PM

sound on mac pro

Hi Aaron i went into the sound preferences and turned up all the
sliders to full. When they are muted I see a red line going through
the speaker icon so they are not muted either. Also when I put on my
headphones and do and audio test I can hear the sound its just really
faint. Any other suggestions please?

Sam

Craig White 12-29-2007 10:01 PM

sound on mac pro

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 14:52 -0800, Arzan wrote:
> Hi Aaron i went into the sound preferences and turned up all the
> sliders to full. When they are muted I see a red line going through
> the speaker icon so they are not muted either. Also when I put on my
> headphones and do and audio test I can hear the sound its just really
> faint. Any other suggestions please?
----
don't know if this will pertain to your issue but on F7 and my old
iMacs, I had to open 'Administration => Soundcard Detection', click on
the 'System' tab and click the button called 'Reload Audio Drivers' and
then sound would work until next reboot

Craig

Tim 12-30-2007 01:12 PM

sound on mac pro

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 14:52 -0800, Arzan wrote:
> i went into the sound preferences and turned up all the
> sliders to full

Do you have all the necessary sliders available to play with? On one my
boxes, the "headphones" level acts as the "master" level, and it wasn't
enabled by default. Go through the volume mixer preferences.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.