Old 12-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Gene Heskett

Default 4L-gui problem

Greetings;

Just now burning the respin dvd's and found that since I'd converted this FC6
install to all libata drive access, that Lacie's 4L-gui cannot now find the
drive. I had no trouble reconfiguring k3b to use /dev/sdc.

The /etc/lightscribe.rc file doesn't contain any drive pointers so I'm a bit
puzzled as to how to proceed. It did work the one time I tried it on my F8
lappy.

Running 4L-cli, it reports that the device does not exist, and /dev/dvd is a
link to /dev/scd0, both are visible in the/dev tree, and I can mount -t
iso9660 /dev/dvd /media/dvd just fine.

Has anyone else encountered this and arrived at a fix?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-30-2007, 01:09 AM
Marc Wilson

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 12:08:29PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Has anyone else encountered this and arrived at a fix?

Sure. The available lightscribe utilities expect to be able to find the
/dev/sr<n> devices.

(Does no one know how to use strings(1) any more?)

--
Marc Wilson | Windows: The first user interface where you click
msw@cox.net | Start to turn it off. -- From a Slashdot.org post

Old 12-30-2007, 04:04 AM
Gene Heskett

On Saturday 29 December 2007, Marc Wilson wrote:

And I've (Gene) added the udev person to the To: list above.

>On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 12:08:29PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Has anyone else encountered this and arrived at a fix?
>
>Sure. The available lightscribe utilities expect to be able to find the
>/dev/sr<n> devices.
>
>(Does no one know how to use strings(1) any more?)

Occasionally

And which I might add, is still available! From dmesg:

[root@coyote opt]# dmesg|grep LITE-ON
[ 37.478169] ata2.00: ATAPI: LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S, HS06, max UDMA/66
[ 37.771121] scsi 1:0:0:0: CD-ROM LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S HS06
PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[root@coyote opt]# dmesg|grep sr0
[ 42.199415] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2
cdda tray
[ 42.199483] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

So why cannot 4L-cli or 4L-gui, find it?

>From the help pages on the LaCie site, it shows the response to this command:
[root@coyote opt]# 4L-cli enumerate
Using /etc/lightscribe.rc

as outputting a very complete list of resources including the drive it will
use, the above is all I get, and that file contains only:
-------------
ResourceDir=/usr/lib/lightscribe/res;
UpdateScriptDir=/usr/lib/lightscribe/updates;
-------------

Here, /dev/dvd is a softlink to /dev/scd0, and despite the dmesg quote above,
there indeed is not a /dev/sr0!

Not only that, but:
[root@coyote opt]# MAKEDEV sr0
don't know how to make device "sr0"

But, a link from scd0 to sr0 appears to make it work. And I forgot the -s, so
its a hardlink, which I assume will vanish on a reboot.

This points to a udev error IMO. How is that best fixed?

Greg, this is an uptodate FC6 x86 system running 2.6.24-rc6 configured for all
libata drive access, so everything is scsi now if that helps.

>--
> Marc Wilson | Windows: The first user interface where you click
> msw@cox.net | Start to turn it off. -- From a Slashdot.org post

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You will be called upon to help a friend in trouble.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:59 AM
Marc Wilson

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 12:04:46AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> [root@coyote opt]# 4L-cli enumerate

I note that after updating to the latest available lightscribe support
package, and the latest copy of 4L, now *I* get:

dell $ 4L-cli enumerate
Using /etc/lightscribe.rc
Drive path: /dev/sr1
Usable: 1
Full name: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L SB02 129
Model: CD/DVDW SH-S183L
Manufacturer: TSSTcorp
Capabilities: monochrome
Drive inner radius: 21700
Drive outer radius: 59000

Where I used to get the same thing as you, Gene.

I also note that now I have:

dell $ ls -l /dev/sr?
brw-rw----+ 1 mwilson disk 11, 0 2007-12-30 12:20 /dev/sr0
brw-rw----+ 1 mwilson disk 11, 1 2007-12-30 12:20 /dev/sr1
[ 6:53 pm][pts/1][/home/mwilson]
dell $ ls -l /dev/scd?
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-12-30 12:20 /dev/scd0 -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-12-30 12:20 /dev/scd1 -> sr1

So udev has changed *something* recently. I admit I hadn't actually messed
with Lightscribe since my upgrade from FC6 to F7, which removed the support
libraries... reinstalled them and the applications last night.

Don't know when the sr[n] <-> scd[n] behavior might have changed.

Versions:

4L-1.0-r6
lightscribeApplications-1.10.19.1-0 (this is SimpleLabeler)
lightscribe-1.10.27.1-0

and...

udev-116-3.fc7

This is all on F7, obviously.

> Greg, this is an uptodate FC6 x86 system running 2.6.24-rc6 configured for all
> libata drive access, so everything is scsi now if that helps.

So not a Fedora kernel. Wonder if that's relevant.

--
Marc Wilson | CONGRATULATIONS! Now should I make thinly veiled
msw@cox.net | comments about DIGNITY, self-esteem and finding TRUE

Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 01 January 2008, Marc Wilson wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 12:04:46AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> [root@coyote opt]# 4L-cli enumerate
>
>I note that after updating to the latest available lightscribe support
>package, and the latest copy of 4L, now *I* get:
>
>dell $ 4L-cli enumerate
>Using /etc/lightscribe.rc
>Drive path: /dev/sr1
>Usable: 1
>Full name: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L SB02 129
>Model: CD/DVDW SH-S183L
>Manufacturer: TSSTcorp
>Capabilities: monochrome
>Drive inner radius: 21700
>Drive outer radius: 59000

So do I once udev was convinced to make a /dev/sr0, it looks like this now:
[root@coyote linux-2.6.24-rc6]# 4L-cli enumerate
Using /etc/lightscribe.rc
Drive path: /dev/sr0
Usable: 1
Full name: LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S HS06 122
Model: DVDRW SHM-165H6S
Manufacturer: LITE-ON
Capabilities: monochrome
Drive inner radius: 21700
Drive outer radius: 58700

>Where I used to get the same thing as you, Gene.
>
>I also note that now I have:
>
>dell $ ls -l /dev/sr?
>brw-rw----+ 1 mwilson disk 11, 0 2007-12-30 12:20 /dev/sr0
>brw-rw----+ 1 mwilson disk 11, 1 2007-12-30 12:20 /dev/sr1
>[ 6:53 pm][pts/1][/home/mwilson]
>dell $ ls -l /dev/scd?
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-12-30 12:20 /dev/scd0 -> sr0
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-12-30 12:20 /dev/scd1 -> sr1
>
>So udev has changed *something* recently. I admit I hadn't actually messed
>with Lightscribe since my upgrade from FC6 to F7, which removed the support
>libraries... reinstalled them and the applications last night.
>
>Don't know when the sr[n] <-> scd[n] behavior might have changed.

Me either, and I haven't done anything to udev, but did build another kernel
with much of the disk related stuffs built in, and now it works as expected.
And /dev/sr0 and /dev/scd0 have the same major,minor.

[root@coyote linux-2.6.24-rc6]# ls -l /dev/sr0 /dev/scd0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 11, 0 Jan 1 20:27 /dev/scd0
brwx------ 1 root root 11, 0 Jan 1 20:27 /dev/sr0

but different perms? Odd. Not softlinks & I just rebooted, I had a remote X
session freeze the system, even stopped the titlebar clock. I have GOT to
trace that down somehow. My shop box 150 feet away is also frozen I think, I
haven't tried to ssh into it since rebooting. So I'll have to go out in the
snow and reboot it too. Damn I hate that... Humm, no, it appears my
rebooting here must have killed the process out there. Might have left stale
locks though.

>Versions:
>
>4L-1.0-r6
>lightscribeApplications-1.10.19.1-0 (this is SimpleLabeler)
>lightscribe-1.10.27.1-0

Same as here now.

>and...
>
>udev-116-3.fc7
>
>This is all on F7, obviously.

udev-095-17.fc6 here.

F8 will get put together here when I get a sata card with a fscking bios
enabled. First pass failed, we should blacklist the Masscool XWT-RC018 card
because of that. The linux drivers work just fine, but you can't boot from a
drive the bios cannot see.

>> Greg, this is an uptodate FC6 x86 system running 2.6.24-rc6 configured for
>> all libata drive access, so everything is scsi now if that helps.
>
>So not a Fedora kernel. Wonder if that's relevant.

Probably. Definite maybe at least.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)