Old 12-28-2007, 06:35 PM
William Case

Default 3 root email warnings -- freshclam, nis+, Keyring + printer ???

Hi;

I finished my new install of Fedora 8 a couple of days ago and now have
my desktop etc. all configured the way I want. As a last exercise I
checked my root email and was able to easily fix most of the problems I
was being warned about but three remain outstanding. For those I could
use some tips, pointers or advice.

1) freshclam

" WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
WARNING: Local version: 0.91.2 Recommended version: 0.92
DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq "

Read the FAQ; checked the 'whereis' and the `which`; they didn't tell me
anything useful. I am reluctant to download a non-Fedora-rpm to get
ClamAV version 0.92 -- if it is even necessary. If it is not
necessary, then how do I get freshclam to stop whining at me?

I haven't installed freshclam-milter for sendmail (I am using Evolution
on a POP desktop). Should I?

2) nis+

" **Unmatched Entries**
lookup_read_master: lookup(nisplus): couldn't locate nis+ table
auto.master: 2
+Time(s)"

I have nscd running -- as far as I can tell from what google info I can
find this might also be a PAM related issue. See 3) below.

3) keyring

" **Unmatched Entries**
gdm-binary: pam_keyring(gdm:session): pam_keyring: could not
retrieve
+gnome-keyring-deamon PID: 1 Time(s)
gdm-binary: pam_keyring(gdm:session): pam_keyring: received order to
close
+session: 1 Time(s) "

I have brought this keyring issue up before in connection with evolution
and a second user. I have filed a bug. However; the message above
appears to me to be a new or different message. Is this message telling
me anything new or useful?

4) HP printer nit-pick

I have a new HP Photosmart CX4280 printer freshly installed. It seems
to work fine on all my files except on the CUPS TEST PAGE. It prints
10" of the test and then gulps to load the last inch. It takes 3-4
minutes to queue and print this last bit. It "feels" like a memory
problem. If this is so, is there a way to allocate a bit more memory?

--
Regards Bill