Old 12-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Dr P Dupre

Default USB

Hello,

I did copy a FC4 working machine to a usb external disk before update.
However, I wanted to boot on this clone but I am still working to find a
way to have it work.
I am using lilo.
Can I find a clear example or a clear documentation on how to setup
up the lilo.conf file.

Thank.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:13 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Dr P Dupre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I did copy a FC4 working machine to a usb external disk before update.
> However, I wanted to boot on this clone but I am still working to find a
> way to have it work.
> I am using lilo.
> Can I find a clear example or a clear documentation on how to setup
> up the lilo.conf file.
>
> Thank.

We would need some more information:
Does your BIOS see the USB drive?

Are you planning to boot this drive using boot from USB option, or
do you want it as an option from another boot loader?

Have you built a new initrd for the F4 disk with the USB and
usb_storage modules?

Have you edited /etc/fstab to reflect that you are using a separate
drive?

Mikkel

Old 12-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Dr P Dupre

I did copy a FC4 working machine to a usb external disk before update.
However, I wanted to boot on this clone but I am still working to find a
way to have it work.
I am using lilo.
Can I find a clear example or a clear documentation on how to setup
up the lilo.conf file.

Thank.

We would need some more information:
Does your BIOS see the USB drive?

Probably no

Are you planning to boot this drive using boot from USB option, or
do you want it as an option from another boot loader?

Yes, I am trying to keep the lilo from the /dev/hda. From there I can
choice to boot from hda or sda.

Have you built a new initrd for the F4 disk with the USB and
usb_storage modules?

Yes,
I did by using some info that I got from the web. I have the following
error:
RAMDISK: compressed image found at block 0
Kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
block(8,2)

Have you edited /etc/fstab to reflect that you are using a separate
drive?

Yes. But right now the error is with the init. I have not reach the fstab.

Is the procedure for FC6 or higher easier ?

Thank.

Regards.

Mikkel

Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Dr P Dupre wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> Dr P Dupre wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I did copy a FC4 working machine to a usb external disk before update.
>>> However, I wanted to boot on this clone but I am still working to find a
>>> way to have it work.
>>> I am using lilo.
>>> Can I find a clear example or a clear documentation on how to setup
>>> up the lilo.conf file.
>>>
>>> Thank.
>>>
>> We would need some more information:
>> Does your BIOS see the USB drive?
> Probably no

This will be a problem. LILO and Grub both use the BIOS for disk access.

>> Are you planning to boot this drive using boot from USB option, or
>> do you want it as an option from another boot loader?
> Yes, I am trying to keep the lilo from the /dev/hda. From there I can
> choice to boot from hda or sda.

If you want the goot loader on hda to load the boot loader on the
USB drive, you need the LILO equivalent of Grub chainload. You may
also have to use the map command to change the BIOS numbers of the
drive. (You will if you are using the original LILO install on the
USB drive.)

>> Have you built a new initrd for the F4 disk with the USB and
>> usb_storage modules?
> Yes,
> I did by using some info that I got from the web. I have the following
> error:
> RAMDISK: compressed image found at block 0
> Kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
> block(8,2)
It sounds like you do are missing a driver. Did you remember to
include the high level SCSI drivers? Remember, USB disks are treated
like SCSI drives, not IDE drives. But I don't know the driver manes
for FC4 off the top of my head.

>> Have you edited /etc/fstab to reflect that you are using a separate
>> drive?
> Yes. But right now the error is with the init. I have not reach the fstab.
>
> Is the procedure for FC6 or higher easier ?

It is real easy if you install directly to the USB drive. It is a
pain if you change an existing IDE install to USB. Also, if your
BIOS can not access the USB drive, then you can not boot from it at
all. You have to have the /boot partition on a partition that is
readable by the BIOS.

But it looks like you are loading the kernel and initrd. You just
don't have everything you need in the initrd.

Mikkel

Old 12-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Dr P Dupre

Hi Mikkel,

This is my init file:
#!/bin/nash

mount -t proc /proc /proc
setquiet
echo Mounted /proc filesystem
echo Mounting sysfs
mount -t sysfs /sys /sys
echo Creating /dev
mount -o mode=0755 -t tmpfs /dev /dev
mknod /dev/console c 5 1
mknod /dev/null c 1 3
mknod /dev/zero c 1 5
mkdir /dev/pts
mkdir /dev/shm
echo Starting udev
/sbin/udevstart
echo -n "/sbin/hotplug" > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
echo "Loading ehci-hcd.ko module"
insmod /lib/ehci-hcd.ko
echo "Loading scsi_mod.ko module"
insmod /lib/scsi_mod.ko
echo "Loading usb-storage.ko module"
insmod /lib/usb-storage.ko
sleep 8
echo "Loading sd_mod.ko module"
insmod /lib/sd_mod.ko
echo "Loading jbd.ko module"
insmod /lib/jbd.ko
echo "Loading ext3.ko module"
insmod /lib/ext3.ko
/sbin/udevstart
# New
#echo "Loading usb modules"
#insmod /lib/usbcore.o
#insmod /lib/scsi_mod.o
#insmod /lib/sd_mod.o
#insmod /lib/usb-storage.o
#insmod /lib/usb-uhci.o
/bin/sleep 5
echo Creating block devices
mkdevices /dev
# End
echo Creating root device
mkrootdev /dev/root
# New
echo sfdisking
/bin/sfdisk -R /dev/sda
#sfdisk -R /dev/sda
echo 0x0100 > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
#End
echo Mounting root filesystem
mount -o defaults --ro -t ext3 /dev/root /sysroot
echo Switching to new root
switchroot --movedev /sysroot
#New
echo pivoting root
pivot_root /sysroot /sysroot/initrd
umount /initrd/proc
#End

If I could find a tested file (including the lilo.conf), it would be
great.

Thank.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:35 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

<----------------[ snip ]--------------->

> If I could find a tested file (including the lilo.conf), it would be
> great.
>
> Thank.

This looks good. Now, are you loading the kernel from your internal
hard drive, or have you chained to the copy on the USB drive? If you
have chained to the USB drive, have you edited /etc/lilo.conf on the
USB drive to change the root drive passed to the kernel from
/dev/hda to /dev/sda? You also have to run lilo after the change.
That complicates things a bit, because you have to either be able to
boot the OS, or mount it properly, and use chroot to use the FC4
environment. If you use the chroot method, you also have to change
lilo.conf so that it is installing on the USB drive. I don't
remember the exact syntax, but it is covered in the LILO man page.
(It has been too many years sense I used LILO.) If you can not find
it, let me know and I will dig it up.

I believe we have eliminated the drivers as a problem, so the next
thing to test is if you are passing the kernel the wrong drive. One
difference between LILO and Grub is that you have to run the lilo
command after making changes to the config file, while Grub will
normally read the changes at boot.

Mikkel

Old 12-31-2007, 12:49 PM

Hi Mikkel,

It finally works. the mk....
does not work. So I use cpio.

By the way, now I have a problem when I try to upgrade from FC4 to FC6 ! It
starts OK, and then fails to transfer tohe file from de DVD to the Hard
drive because it becomes dismounted !!! Regards

This is my init file:

<----------------[ snip ]--------------->

Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Ted Wager

I just dd'd a Debian .img file to a usb stick and it boots ok..I then put
another partition on the stick for persist..Anyone tell me how I make the
Debian install see the persist partition ?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 18 oct 10, 05:43:50, Ted Wager wrote:
> I just dd'd a Debian .img file to a usb stick and it boots ok..I then put
> another partition on the stick for persist..Anyone tell me how I make the
> Debian install see the persist partition ?

Depends on what you need it for...

Regards,
Andrei

Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Bob McGowan

On 10/18/2010 03:43 AM, Ted Wager wrote:
> I just dd'd a Debian .img file to a usb stick and it boots ok..I then put
> another partition on the stick for persist..Anyone tell me how I make the
> Debian install see the persist partition ?

You could try:

boot from the the usb stick;
determine the device name used by the kernel to mount /
use cfdisk to view device partitions (to be sure everything looks OK)
add the "persist" partition to /etc/fstab
you may want to create directory in / for it to mount on, or
just use a mount point in /media/
mount the partition

This is all standard stuff, you should be able to find details about
each step in your documentation.

--
Bob McGowan