Old 12-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Chris G

Default How to get "du -sk *" to work sensibly

I always used to use the command "du -sk *" to get a quick indication
of where all my disk space was going.

Now, because I have a few slow external filesystems mounted, it no
longer works in a finite time and I can't see how to get it to skip
the slow file systems.

If I "cd /" and give the command "du -skx *" it *doesn't* skip the
mounted filesystems because they're mounted on root directories. E.g.

home# du -sk *
83266088 a2
53643968 backup
6448 bin
14009 boot
4 cd
200 dev
121800 etc

/a2 is actually a mount point for another file system and the next
one, /freecom, never gets displayed because it's too slow.

The -X option doesn't work either because it excludes files, not
directories.

So how can I get an idea of the size of the various directories on my
root file system? There seems no easy way.

--
Chris Green

Old 12-28-2007, 03:36 PM
"Jon Stanley"

On 12/28/07, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> So how can I get an idea of the size of the various directories on my
> root file system? There seems no easy way.

Something like du -xk --max-depth=1 / would work.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Chris G

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 10:36:31AM -0600, Jon Stanley wrote:
> On 12/28/07, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > So how can I get an idea of the size of the various directories on my
> > root file system? There seems no easy way.
>
> Something like du -xk --max-depth=1 / would work.

Excellent, that's just what I needed, thank you! :-)

--
Chris Green

Old 12-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 10:36 -0600, Jon Stanley wrote:
> On 12/28/07, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > So how can I get an idea of the size of the various directories on my
> > root file system? There seems no easy way.
>
> Something like du -xk --max-depth=1 / would work.
What is wrong with du -s * from /

Sorry this was posted in the wrong response.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Chris G

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 09:05:29AM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 10:36 -0600, Jon Stanley wrote:
> > On 12/28/07, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> > > So how can I get an idea of the size of the various directories on my
> > > root file system? There seems no easy way.
> >
> > Something like du -xk --max-depth=1 / would work.
> What is wrong with du -s * from /

It takes an infinite (well, impossibly long) amount of time when it
hits my remotely mounted NAS server. It also tells me the space used
on mounts which isn't very useful if I'm trying to work out what's
using all the space on my root disk.

I want a tool to tell me what's using all the space on one specific
volume/partition.

--
Chris Green

Old 12-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 15:25 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 09:05:29AM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Something like du -xk --max-depth=1 / would work.
> > What is wrong with du -s * from /
> >
> It takes an infinite (well, impossibly long) amount of time when it
> hits my remotely mounted NAS server. It also tells me the space used
> on mounts which isn't very useful if I'm trying to work out what's
> using all the space on my root disk.
>
> I want a tool to tell me what's using all the space on one specific
> volume/partition.
>
> --
> Chris Green

then at / run: du -s {list of directories you want to check}

Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 PM
John Summerfield

Aaron Konstam wrote:

then at / run: du -s {list of directories you want to check}

which for many folk is pretty much the same as what Jon said: root
directory plus one but exclude mounts.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Chris G

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 03:27:58PM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 15:25 +0000, Chris G wrote:

> > > What is wrong with du -s * from /
> > >
> > It takes an infinite (well, impossibly long) amount of time when it
> > hits my remotely mounted NAS server. It also tells me the space used
> > on mounts which isn't very useful if I'm trying to work out what's
> > using all the space on my root disk.
> >
> > I want a tool to tell me what's using all the space on one specific
> > volume/partition.
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green
> >
> then at / run: du -s {list of directories you want to check}

It's not necessarily at all obvious which directories are mount points
and which are real, space consumung, directories so {list of
directories you want to check} isn't easy to create and may well
change occasionally.

Anyway someone else came up with an effective solution to what I
want:-

du -xk --max-depth=1 /

That works exactly as I want showing all directories on the root
volume but with mount points using no space. (... and more to the
point not taking a huge amount of time searching around my network
drive).

--
Chris Green

Old 12-30-2007, 09:26 AM
"Arun Vatsil"

Hello,

but "du -xk --max-depth=1 /" will not include a file say "/home/user1/movies/virumandi.avi" in its calculation of the disk usage of / . Is that ok?

vatsil.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 03:56:06PM +0530, Arun Vatsil wrote:

> Hello,
> but "du -xk --max-depth=1 /" will not include a file say
> "/home/user1/movies/virumandi.avi" in its calculation of the disk
> usage of / . Is that ok?

Yes, it *does* include the space consumed by that file. Don't ask me
what the logic is here but the --max-depth=x option doesn't mean
ignore all space consumed by files below that depth.

Chris Green