Old 01-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Chris G

Default Where do you put all your HTML stuff on a home Linux server?

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 03:14:17AM -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
>> I've been changing my mind and messing about with this for years and
>> *still* haven't really come to a sensible final conclusion. It's not
>> even that it matters all that much but I wish there was an obvious
>> answer.
> I use /srv
> as root:
> mkdir -p /srv/www.hostname.tld/www
> chown -R user:group /srv/www.hostname
>
> You then create a file in /etc/httpd.conf/ that points to
> /srv/www.hostname.tld/www as the DocumentRoot
>
> Works for me.

/srv is the 'right' place, unfortunately many (all?) linux
distributions don't use it.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Sunday 20 January 2008 11:14, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > I've been changing my mind and messing about with this for years and
> > *still* haven't really come to a sensible final conclusion. It's not
> > even that it matters all that much but I wish there was an obvious
> > answer.
>
> I use /srv
> as root:
> mkdir -p /srv/www.hostname.tld/www
> chown -R user:group /srv/www.hostname

Also, don't forget

semanage fcontext -a -t httpd_sys_content_t "/srv/www.hostname.tld/www(/.*)?"
restorecon -R -v /srv/www.hostname.tld/www

if running SELinux. ;-)

:-)
Marko

Old 01-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Sunday 20 January 2008 12:28, Chris G wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 03:14:17AM -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > Chris G wrote:
> >> I've been changing my mind and messing about with this for years and
> >> *still* haven't really come to a sensible final conclusion. It's not
> >> even that it matters all that much but I wish there was an obvious
> >> answer.
> >
> > I use /srv
> > as root:
> > mkdir -p /srv/www.hostname.tld/www
> > chown -R user:group /srv/www.hostname
> >
> > You then create a file in /etc/httpd.conf/ that points to
> > /srv/www.hostname.tld/www as the DocumentRoot
> >
> > Works for me.
>
> /srv is the 'right' place, unfortunately many (all?) linux
> distributions don't use it.

SuSE uses it. I hope Fedora will too.

:-)
Marko

Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Timothy Murphy

Marko Vojinovic wrote:

>> /srv is the 'right' place, unfortunately many (all?) linux
>> distributions don't use it.
>
> SuSE uses it. I hope Fedora will too.

Why?
It seems to me much simpler to follow the apache default
/var/www/html , if you are using apache.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 PM
"Ashley M. Kirchner"

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Why?
It seems to me much simpler to follow the apache default
/var/www/html , if you are using apache
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, that's not Apache's default. It's
Redhat's default template. If you look at the Apache config file, it
pulls in whatever template you tell it to, or it will guess based on the
OS...and in the case of Fedora, it picks up Redhat's template.

--
H | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Les Mikesell

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Marko Vojinovic wrote:

/srv is the 'right' place, unfortunately many (all?) linux
distributions don't use it.

SuSE uses it. I hope Fedora will too.

Why?
It seems to me much simpler to follow the apache default
/var/www/html , if you are using apache.

Or for a home server, keep it under public_html in your home directory
and enable apache's user dirs so you can reference it as
server://~user/... That way you don't have to worry about backing up
up much except the home directories.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Sunday 20 January 2008 22:54, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> >> /srv is the 'right' place, unfortunately many (all?) linux
> >> distributions don't use it.
> >
> > SuSE uses it. I hope Fedora will too.
>
> Why?
> It seems to me much simpler to follow the apache default
> /var/www/html , if you are using apache.

Well, in my case, easyness of backup. I run http, mysql, samba, ftp and
torrent services on the same machine. Fedora having short lifetime, I prefer
to have all that in one directory. Otherwise, I would need to
backup /var/www/html, /var/lib/mysql, /wherever/samba-shared, /whatever/ftp/dir
and /srv/torrent.

Besides, I believe /srv is the official standard for this, why not use it?

:-)
Marko

Old 01-21-2008, 09:14 AM
"Michael A. Peters"

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Why?
It seems to me much simpler to follow the apache default
/var/www/html , if you are using apache.

I don't keep a separate /var - I do keep a separate /srv
I can do a clean install but preserve /home and /srv and I don't lose
anything.

I do not like to have /var as a partition that is preserved because too
many files in /var are OS dependent. So I like /var to be nuked on a
clean install along with /usr

This also allows me to have a relatively small root filesystem - and
not have to worry about expanding it because I filled up /var/html. I
may have to expand /srv as it fills with data from various servers - but
it is much easier and safer to expand /srv than to expand / - and a full
/srv won't prevent an update package from installing or otherwise
interfere with system operations.