Old 12-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Gene Heskett

Default lite-scribe question.

My LITE-ON drive does both sides of the disk.

Which brings up the question: Is there a URL where the disk label, modified
to indicate the respin date, can be obtained?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Beartooth

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:37:22 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> My LITE-ON drive does both sides of the disk.

Which lite-on? I have the DVDRW SOHW-832-S. With brasero, it
didn't see any disk (these are cheapo bulk DVD-Rs) when one side was up,
and told me the other was unwriteable -- with two disks. With K3B, it
says it has written the .iso, and is verifying it. I haven't tried any
other app yet.

Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.24, Firefox 2.0

Old 12-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 28 December 2007, Beartooth wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:37:22 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> My LITE-ON drive does both sides of the disk.
>
> Which lite-on? I have the DVDRW SOHW-832-S. With brasero, it
>didn't see any disk (these are cheapo bulk DVD-Rs) when one side was up,
>and told me the other was unwriteable -- with two disks. With K3B, it
>says it has written the .iso, and is verifying it. I haven't tried any
>other app yet.

Talking about the label side here, lite-scribe disks have a generally gold
colored burnable surace on the top side that can have a label image written
on. Its also slower to burn than the regular data side, at least here.

They are also in the 2 to 3 buck range per disk, not quite your basic $29 a
100 packs in spindles disks. Darn it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-28-2007, 09:43 PM
"Kam Leo"

On Dec 28, 2007 2:14 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Friday 28 December 2007, Beartooth wrote:
> >On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:37:22 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> My LITE-ON drive does both sides of the disk.
> >
> > Which lite-on? I have the DVDRW SOHW-832-S. With brasero, it
> >didn't see any disk (these are cheapo bulk DVD-Rs) when one side was up,
> >and told me the other was unwriteable -- with two disks. With K3B, it
> >says it has written the .iso, and is verifying it. I haven't tried any
> >other app yet.
> >
> Talking about the label side here, lite-scribe disks have a generally gold
> colored burnable surace on the top side that can have a label image written
> on. Its also slower to burn than the regular data side, at least here.
>
> They are also in the 2 to 3 buck range per disk, not quite your basic $29 a
> 100 packs in spindles disks. Darn it.
>
> >--
> >Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

Let us know how your label turns out. I have avoided light-scribe
media because of the higher media cost, the limited contrast range of
the label, and that writing the label takes more time than the data. I
use printable media instead. Advantages: The label supports color,
added protection for the data layer due to printable surface, takes
less than a minute to print the label, and the media costs just a bit
more than regular discs.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Bruce Byfield

Another problem with lightscribe technology is that there are only two
GNU/Linux programs for burning labels: One from Lightscribe, and one
from LaCie. Both are very limited in design, and neither are free
software, although they're free for the download.

You can read more about them at:

http://www.linux.com/feature/118705

Moreover, the chances of there ever being a free software lightscribe
app is very slim, since Lightscribe licenses the technology under an NDA
that no free or open source developer is likely to accept.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
Burnaby, BC, Canada

Old 12-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 14:58:59 -0800,
Bruce Byfield <bbyfield@axion.net> wrote:
> Moreover, the chances of there ever being a free software lightscribe
> app is very slim, since Lightscribe licenses the technology under an NDA
> that no free or open source developer is likely to accept.

That's too bad. I was thinking I should get one when I have money to buy
some new hardware, but hearing that, I think I won't be if things don't
change.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Bruce Byfield

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 17:21 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 14:58:59 -0800,
> Bruce Byfield <bbyfield@axion.net> wrote:
> > Moreover, the chances of there ever being a free software lightscribe
> > app is very slim, since Lightscribe licenses the technology under an NDA
> > that no free or open source developer is likely to accept.
>
> That's too bad. I was thinking I should get one when I have money to buy
> some new hardware, but hearing that, I think I won't be if things don't
> change.

You really aren't missing much. Unless Lightscribe manages to develop a
full-color burning process, I don't think the technology is likely to
take off. Stores around here tend to have one row of Lightscribe CDs and
one row of Lightscribe DVDs on their shelves, and none carry anything
except the gold disks. Even with HP making Lightscribe drives standard
on all their computers, the technology doesn't seem to interest people
much.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:51 PM
"Alan"

> On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 17:21 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 14:58:59 -0800,
>> Bruce Byfield <bbyfield@axion.net> wrote:
>> > Moreover, the chances of there ever being a free software lightscribe
>> > app is very slim, since Lightscribe licenses the technology under an
>> NDA
>> > that no free or open source developer is likely to accept.
>>
>> That's too bad. I was thinking I should get one when I have money to buy
>> some new hardware, but hearing that, I think I won't be if things don't
>> change.
>
> You really aren't missing much. Unless Lightscribe manages to develop a
> full-color burning process, I don't think the technology is likely to
> take off. Stores around here tend to have one row of Lightscribe CDs and
> one row of Lightscribe DVDs on their shelves, and none carry anything
> except the gold disks. Even with HP making Lightscribe drives standard
> on all their computers, the technology doesn't seem to interest people
> much.

Especially when you can get inkjet printers that will print on DVDs (with
right surface) for under $100. And the inkjet printable DVDs are cheaper
and more available than the LightScribe discs. (And look better when you
get done.)

It is an interesting novelty, nothing more.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:00 AM
John Summerfield

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 14:58:59 -0800,
Bruce Byfield <bbyfield@axion.net> wrote:

Moreover, the chances of there ever being a free software lightscribe
app is very slim, since Lightscribe licenses the technology under an NDA
that no free or open source developer is likely to accept.

That's too bad. I was thinking I should get one when I have money to buy
some new hardware, but hearing that, I think I won't be if things don't
change.

The drive's little more expensive than the regular drive; I'd be happy
to buy a lightscribe drive in the off-chance it will become useful.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 28 December 2007, Kam Leo wrote:
>On Dec 28, 2007 2:14 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > Which lite-on? I have the DVDRW SOHW-832-S. With brasero, it
>> >didn't see any disk (these are cheapo bulk DVD-Rs) when one side was up,
>> >and told me the other was unwriteable -- with two disks. With K3B, it
>> >says it has written the .iso, and is verifying it. I haven't tried any
>> >other app yet.
>>
>> Talking about the label side here, lite-scribe disks have a generally gold
>> colored burnable surace on the top side that can have a label image
>> written on. Its also slower to burn than the regular data side, at least
>> here.
>>
>> They are also in the 2 to 3 buck range per disk, not quite your basic $29
>> a 100 packs in spindles disks. Darn it.
>>
>> >--
>> >Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>
>Let us know how your label turns out. I have avoided light-scribe
>media because of the higher media cost, the limited contrast range of
>the label, and that writing the label takes more time than the data. I
>use printable media instead. Advantages: The label supports color,
>added protection for the data layer due to printable surface, takes
>less than a minute to print the label, and the media costs just a bit
>more than regular discs.

Labels are ok, but like you said, monochrome and low contrast. As for
printable media, unforch my fav printer is an elderly epson C82, which has no
disk tray. Its color output when I'm doing photo's on good paper is however
a completely sellable product. I also have a c88 that may be just as good,
but is 6 color and again, no cd tray, and its had paper feed problems from
the gitgo. So far, the R series Epsons which does do cd's, is not doing all
that great on the color. Everything but this C series uses a red ink matrix
that is decidedly orange, in one or two examples I've looked at, even worse
than whatever HP used for reds in the deskjets, that stuff was horrible
color. Someday that c82 will die I suppose, and I'll hold a 3 day wake for
it when it does. Over 2 thousand in 24 lb paper, and another thousand in ink
through it now and its still keeps acting like a new one.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)