-   -   Installing from the 3 DVD fedora 8 "Everything" re-spin (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/23991-installing-3-dvd-fedora-8-everything-re-spin.html)

Karl Larsen 12-28-2007 11:21 AM

Installing from the 3 DVD fedora 8 "Everything" re-spin

Dean S. Messing wrote:

Dean Messing wrote:
: I just completed the download of the jigdo "Everything" DVD respin for x86_64.
:
: FYI, I used the CLI command
:
: jigdo-lite http://jigdo.fedoraunity.org/templates/Fedora-8-Everything/Fedora-8-Everything.jigdo
:
: I didn't have the original F8 so I let it download everything (no pun

: intended). It took about 12 hours running three parallel jigdo's, one
: for each of the 3 DVDs in the respin.
:
: Now I have 3 DVD iso images, and I'm wondering how the installer is

: going to treat them. I've never installed from 3 DVDs, just 1. I
: mount it on a separate NFS-enabled machine, and point Anaconda to the
: DVD iso image. Will this work with three DVD's? I don't recall if
: one can even tell the installer about more than 1.
:
: I'm not quite ready to do the install but am just getting my ducks in

: a row for when I am.

Ok, I have egg on my face. I'm just glad that I discovered it before
you did. The "everthing respin" is not a respin, just a spin. :-)

If you use the above jigdo link, the stuff inside is from the original
Fedora 7 release, dated 13th November 2007. So, I've downloaded
alotabits for nothing. Oh well. Learned how to jigdo.

Dean

Ah well, I wonder if you wound up with proper .iso files or were
they .iso.tmp? And it is not clear to me that jigdo is really working
for Fedora yet.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"Dean S. Messing" 12-28-2007 08:28 PM

Karl Larsen wrote:
: Dean S. Messing wrote:
: > Dean Messing wrote:
: > : I just completed the download of the jigdo "Everything" DVD respin for x86_64.
: > :
: > : FYI, I used the CLI command
: > :
: > : jigdo-lite http://jigdo.fedoraunity.org/templates/Fedora-8-Everything/Fedora-8-Everything.jigdo
: > :
: > : I didn't have the original F8 so I let it download everything (no pun
: > : intended). It took about 12 hours running three parallel jigdo's, one
: > : for each of the 3 DVDs in the respin.
: > :
: > : Now I have 3 DVD iso images, and I'm wondering how the installer is
: > : going to treat them. I've never installed from 3 DVDs, just 1. I
: > : mount it on a separate NFS-enabled machine, and point Anaconda to the
: > : DVD iso image. Will this work with three DVD's? I don't recall if
: > : one can even tell the installer about more than 1.
: > :
: > : I'm not quite ready to do the install but am just getting my ducks in
: > : a row for when I am.
: >
: > Ok, I have egg on my face. I'm just glad that I discovered it before
: > you did. The "everthing respin" is not a respin, just a spin. :-)
: >
: > If you use the above jigdo link, the stuff inside is from the original
: > Fedora 7 release, dated 13th November 2007. So, I've downloaded
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ --- this was a typo: shd. be "Fedora 8 release"
: > alotabits for nothing. Oh well. Learned how to jigdo.
: >
: Ah well, I wonder if you wound up with proper .iso files or were
: they .iso.tmp? And it is not clear to me that jigdo is really working
: for Fedora yet.

I got three nice, shiny .iso files. jigdo-lite is working just fine.

Dean

David Boles 12-29-2007 05:15 PM

Installing from the 3 DVD fedora 8 "Everything" re-spin

Beartooth Sciurivore 12-29-2007 07:03 PM

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 13:15:09 -0500, David Boles wrote:

> The 'everything' DVD is not a re-spin. Because? There never was an
> everything DVD release.
[...]
> None of the contents of the packages were changed. Only the updated
> packages replaced the original ones on the Fedora release. That should
> have been obvious from their page.

An ordinary re-spin, as I use the word -- and especially the
thing -- enables a user to install what's current now, instead of what
was in November, without having to do vast updating to get the current
rpms. A custom re-spin appears generally to be so called.

The everything DVD walks like a re-spin and quacks like a re-spin
on my end -- and such 'abuse of language,' as the mathematicians call it,
has been normal for as much of the history of tongues as is known or can
be inferred from extant evidence.

So if you want to call it an again-spin, go ahead. We'll see
which way common usage goes.

--
Beartooth Paganus, Staffwright, Sciurivore,
Historian of Tongues from Way Back

"Dean S. Messing" 12-29-2007 08:03 PM

: Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
: > The 'everything' DVD is not a re-spin. Because? There never was an
: > everything DVD release.
: [...]
[...]

You mention "the everything DVD". In the "Fedora 8 Everything Spin" .jigdo on
the Fedora Unity site, there are _three_ DVDs for _each of_ i386, x86_64, and
ppc. Nine DVDs in all, plus 2 .iso images for double-layer DVDs _for each_ system
type, plus a boatload of individual CDs (something like 17) for each system type.

I downloaded the 3 DVDs for x86_64. All of the .rpms in each of the
three .iso files were dated in November. I deleted them so I can't
check the anything now.

Dean

David Boles 12-29-2007 09:41 PM

Installing from the 3 DVD fedora 8 "Everything" re-spin