Old 12-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Luciano Rocha

Default Fedora Cookbook: Resizing a logical volume

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 05:56:58AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Luciano Rocha wrote:
>
> > 2. There is no need to do an off-line resize. Ext3 (and xfs) suppors
> > on-line resizing, so the steps are:
> > * lvextend -L +4G /dev/f8/opt
> > * resize2fs /dev/f8/opt
>
> does that include the root filesystem as well? i recall that that
> *used to be* an issue.

I think so, there's nothing special about the root fs, as far as on-line
resizing is concerned.

And I've done it a few times before.

--
lfr
0/0

Old 12-28-2007, 10:02 AM
moi

Root FS resizes imho usually requires the Rescue mode. Perhaps when
growing, but shrinking is a bit tough...

You may - in rescue mode - import the Volume Group (when using LVM) and
do the resize operations. Do not forget to do a partprobe /dev/xda, as
the kernel will still be using the old filesystem tables when resizing
(one of our customers did a shrink on the root partition and ran fsck,
this made a lot of errors afterwards).

brgds

rainer

Robert P. J. Day schrieb:

2. There is no need to do an off-line resize. Ext3 (and xfs) suppors
on-line resizing, so the steps are:
* lvextend -L +4G /dev/f8/opt
* resize2fs /dev/f8/opt

does that include the root filesystem as well? i recall that that
*used to be* an issue.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Luciano Rocha

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 12:02:40PM +0100, moi wrote:
> Root FS resizes imho usually requires the Rescue mode. Perhaps when growing,
> but shrinking is a bit tough...

Growing can be done on-line. That means no interruption of service, no
need to umount the filesystem, etc..

Shrinking must be off-line, still. And in XFS, shrinking isn't supported
at all.

> You may - in rescue mode - import the Volume Group (when using LVM) and do
> the resize operations.

Note that usually there's no symlinks for lvm utilities in the rescue
mode of the installer, so you'll have to use the following syntax:
lvm vgscan
lvm lvresize

> Do not forget to do a partprobe /dev/xda, as the
> kernel will still be using the old filesystem tables when resizing

Eh? No, that's not needed, The lvm partitions aren't /dev/hdx or sdx.
You do have to rescan the partition table if you changed the partition
of the PV device.

> (one of
> our customers did a shrink on the root partition and ran fsck, this made a
> lot of errors afterwards).

Oh, that's bad. Very bad. You don't shrinking filesystem after shrinking
the block device, you do it *before*. That's the opposite of growing.

I.e.:
* lvm vgscan
* lvm vgchange -ay
* resize2fs /dev/foo/bar 10G