Old 12-28-2007, 09:19 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default Fedora Cookbook: Resizing a logical volume

yes, yes, it's not what you'd call intellectually challenging, but

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Resize_a_logical_volume

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Luciano Rocha

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 05:19:27AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> yes, yes, it's not what you'd call intellectually challenging, but
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Resize_a_logical_volume

2 points:

1. reducing a volume is more interesting, and more error-prone, so I
think it should be well defined there (I and others have sent the steps
to this list already);

2. There is no need to do an off-line resize. Ext3 (and xfs) suppors
on-line resizing, so the steps are:
* lvextend -L +4G /dev/f8/op
* resize2fs /dev/f8/opt

--
lfr
0/0

Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Luciano Rocha wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 05:19:27AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > yes, yes, it's not what you'd call intellectually challenging, but
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Resize_a_logical_volume
>
> 2 points:
>
> 1. reducing a volume is more interesting, and more error-prone, so I
> think it should be well defined there (I and others have sent the steps
> to this list already);
>
> 2. There is no need to do an off-line resize. Ext3 (and xfs) suppors
> on-line resizing, so the steps are:
> * lvextend -L +4G /dev/f8/op
> * resize2fs /dev/f8/opt

well, then, that makes things pretty trivial, doesn't it? *sigh*.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-28-2007, 09:56 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Luciano Rocha wrote:

> 2. There is no need to do an off-line resize. Ext3 (and xfs) suppors
> on-line resizing, so the steps are:
> * lvextend -L +4G /dev/f8/opt
> * resize2fs /dev/f8/opt

does that include the root filesystem as well? i recall that that
*used to be* an issue.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA