Old 12-28-2007, 03:04 AM
Ed Greshko

Default How to correctly write a video DVD from MPEG-2 files

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Long story short:
> I have a new video camera (sony dcr sr-42). I've records 75 minutes of
> video on it. I can mount its hdd over USB to my (fc6) laptop and access
> the .MPG files which are the recording. Two of them, since the first
> one is 2GB in size, the 2nd file contains the remainder of the video.
> Seems to be an MPEG-2 video w/AC3 audio embedded.
> How do I write this to a DVD that anyone can stick it their stand-alone
> DVD player and play as a single "movie"?
> I tried using "dvdstyler", but it errors out while checking the video
> for MPEG-2 errors (lots of bogus packet sizes), and then "mplex"
> complains about the input files it gets as being unrecognizable.
> dvdauthor assumes that I have VOB files already (I don't).

Are you sure that is the case?

dvdauthor - assembles multiple mpeg program streams into a suitable DVD
filesystem

Have you tried creating an xml file like so....

<dvdauthor>
<vmgm />
<titleset>
<titles>
<pgc>
<vob file="your_video.mpg" chapters="0,0:10,0:20,0:30,0:40,0:50" />
</pgc>
</titles>
</titleset>
</dvdauthor>

And using a command such as ... dvdauthor -o dvd -x dvd.xml to create the
dvd-structure in the -o directory....

--
May your SO always know when you need a hug.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:06 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Long story short:
>> I have a new video camera (sony dcr sr-42). I've records 75 minutes of
>> video on it. I can mount its hdd over USB to my (fc6) laptop and access
>> the .MPG files which are the recording. Two of them, since the first
>> one is 2GB in size, the 2nd file contains the remainder of the video.
>> Seems to be an MPEG-2 video w/AC3 audio embedded.
>> How do I write this to a DVD that anyone can stick it their stand-alone
>> DVD player and play as a single "movie"?
>> I tried using "dvdstyler", but it errors out while checking the video
>> for MPEG-2 errors (lots of bogus packet sizes), and then "mplex"
>> complains about the input files it gets as being unrecognizable.
>> dvdauthor assumes that I have VOB files already (I don't).
>
> Are you sure that is the case?
>
> dvdauthor - assembles multiple mpeg program streams into a suitable DVD
> filesystem
>

> Have you tried creating an xml file like so....
>
> <dvdauthor>
> <vmgm />
> <titleset>
> <titles>
> <pgc>
> <vob file="your_video.mpg" chapters="0,0:10,0:20,0:30,0:40,0:50" />
> </pgc>
> </titles>
> </titleset>
> </dvdauthor>
>
> And using a command such as ... dvdauthor -o dvd -x dvd.xml to create the
> dvd-structure in the -o directory....

No, I didn't, I'd rather have a tool that I can say:

create_dvd file.mpg

and have it do all the work, since I have no clue how to convert/massage
the .mpg files into the correct ISO format to be burned onto the DVD.
So, telling me to set up an .xml file assume that I know what to put in
the .xml file (which I do not know).

But, I will play with your example and see if I get anywhere.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 12-28-2007, 04:07 AM
Richard Shaw

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

[...]

I downloaded the DVDStyler manual and it states dvdauthor is a
dependency so it looks like it uses it to generate the DVD compatible
file system. That leads me to believe that if it doesn't seem to work
then you probably will not have better luck using dvdauthor directly but
it is still worth a try as you may get a more useful error message.

Are you sure that the files are fully MPEG2 compliant? If you play with
something like mplayer from the command line does the video and audio
codec's it says it's using seem correct?

Richard

Old 12-28-2007, 04:16 AM
Ed Greshko

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>>> Long story short:
>>> I have a new video camera (sony dcr sr-42). I've records 75 minutes of
>>> video on it. I can mount its hdd over USB to my (fc6) laptop and access
>>> the .MPG files which are the recording. Two of them, since the first
>>> one is 2GB in size, the 2nd file contains the remainder of the video.
>>> Seems to be an MPEG-2 video w/AC3 audio embedded.
>>> How do I write this to a DVD that anyone can stick it their stand-alone
>>> DVD player and play as a single "movie"?
>>> I tried using "dvdstyler", but it errors out while checking the video
>>> for MPEG-2 errors (lots of bogus packet sizes), and then "mplex"
>>> complains about the input files it gets as being unrecognizable.
>>> dvdauthor assumes that I have VOB files already (I don't).
>> Are you sure that is the case?
>>
>> dvdauthor - assembles multiple mpeg program streams into a suitable DVD
>> filesystem
>>

>> Have you tried creating an xml file like so....
>>
>> <dvdauthor>
>> <vmgm />
>> <titleset>
>> <titles>
>> <pgc>
>> <vob file="your_video.mpg" chapters="0,0:10,0:20,0:30,0:40,0:50" />
>> </pgc>
>> </titles>
>> </titleset>
>> </dvdauthor>
>>
>> And using a command such as ... dvdauthor -o dvd -x dvd.xml to create the
>> dvd-structure in the -o directory....
>
> No, I didn't, I'd rather have a tool that I can say:
>
> create_dvd file.mpg
>
> and have it do all the work, since I have no clue how to convert/massage
> the .mpg files into the correct ISO format to be burned onto the DVD.
> So, telling me to set up an .xml file assume that I know what to put in
> the .xml file (which I do not know).

Doing above should create a structure in the directory specified by the -o
parameter. Then it is a simple matter to use a command like...

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video ./dvd/

The above assumes your dvd writer is /dev/dvd and the structure created by
dvdauthor is located at your present position in the filesystem.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:34 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> Are you sure that is the case?
>>>
>>> dvdauthor - assembles multiple mpeg program streams into a suitable DVD
>>> filesystem
>>>

>>> Have you tried creating an xml file like so....
>>>
>>> <dvdauthor>
>>> <vmgm />
>>> <titleset>
>>> <titles>
>>> <pgc>
>>> <vob file="your_video.mpg" chapters="0,0:10,0:20,0:30,0:40,0:50" />
>>> </pgc>
>>> </titles>
>>> </titleset>
>>> </dvdauthor>
>>>
>>> And using a command such as ... dvdauthor -o dvd -x dvd.xml to create the
>>> dvd-structure in the -o directory....
>> No, I didn't, I'd rather have a tool that I can say:
>>
>> create_dvd file.mpg
>>
>> and have it do all the work, since I have no clue how to convert/massage
>> the .mpg files into the correct ISO format to be burned onto the DVD.
>> So, telling me to set up an .xml file assume that I know what to put in
>> the .xml file (which I do not know).
>
> Doing above should create a structure in the directory specified by the -o
> parameter. Then it is a simple matter to use a command like...
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video ./dvd/
>
> The above assumes your dvd writer is /dev/dvd and the structure created by
> dvdauthor is located at your present position in the filesystem.

Thanks Ed, this part I can handle. I've written many data DVDs before.
I can even get K3B to do it if its already in ISO file structure format
(ie, the directories are in the right places).

Old 12-28-2007, 04:47 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Richard Shaw wrote:
> Are you sure that the files are fully MPEG2 compliant? If you play with
> something like mplayer from the command line does the video and audio
> codec's it says it's using seem correct?

On my laptop, mplayer has a problem with the AC3 audio (not compiled
in), so I can see the video, but not listen to the audio. I think the
installed version came from livna. (that's the version that came
shipped with the laptop.) Totem seems to have no problems playing both
audio and video though.

On my desktop/server machine, it plays the audio and the video just
fine. (for some reason, I'm running the ATRPMs version on my home
server. Maybe because its also the MythTV server.)

Can't install the ATRPMs version on the FC6 laptop. That'll have to
wait until I upgrade the FC6.i386 to F8.x86_64. Probably some time
after the new year.

Whether the files are strict MPEG-2, I can't tell you. The file command
seems to think they are some flavor of MPEG-2:

Old 12-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Nico Sabbi

Il Friday 28 December 2007 06:47:27 Kevin J. Cummings ha scritto:
> Richard Shaw wrote:
> > Are you sure that the files are fully MPEG2 compliant? If you
> > play with something like mplayer from the command line does the
> > video and audio codec's it says it's using seem correct?
>
> On my laptop, mplayer has a problem with the AC3 audio (not
> compiled in), so I can see the video, but not listen to the audio.
> I think the installed version came from livna. (that's the version
> that came shipped with the laptop.) Totem seems to have no
> problems playing both audio and video though.

uhm, unlikely

> On my desktop/server machine, it plays the audio and the video just
> fine. (for some reason, I'm running the ATRPMs version on my home
> server. Maybe because its also the MythTV server.)
>
> Can't install the ATRPMs version on the FC6 laptop. That'll have
> to wait until I upgrade the FC6.i386 to F8.x86_64. Probably some
> time after the new year.
>
> Whether the files are strict MPEG-2, I can't tell you. The file
> command
>
> seems to think they are some flavor of MPEG-2:
> > MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex
> >
> > Richard

something quick and easy (only remuxing, no re-encoding required):
run $ mkfifo /tmp/fifo , then:

$ mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts
format=dvd:tsaf:interleaving2 -o /tmp/fifo -oac copy -ovc copy
file1.mpg file2.mpg

and on the other:

$ dvdauthor -o dvd_dir -t /tmp/fifo && dvdauthor -o dvd_dir -T

If all is fine in few minutes you will have a burnable dvd_dir
directory:

$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z dvd_dir -dvd-video -udf -R -J

Notice that if the bitrates (of the video or of the audio stream)
are too high the first pass will likely lead to errors and you will
have to reencode at least the video stream (read the docs
in www.mplayerhq.hu for details)

Old 12-28-2007, 04:22 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Il Friday 28 December 2007 06:47:27 Kevin J. Cummings ha scritto:
>> Richard Shaw wrote:
>>> Are you sure that the files are fully MPEG2 compliant? If you
>>> play with something like mplayer from the command line does the
>>> video and audio codec's it says it's using seem correct?
>> On my laptop, mplayer has a problem with the AC3 audio (not
>> compiled in), so I can see the video, but not listen to the audio.
>> I think the installed version came from livna. (that's the version
>> that came shipped with the laptop.) Totem seems to have no
>> problems playing both audio and video though.
>
> uhm, unlikely

I'm not clear? What is unlikely? totem both plays the video and and
audio from my .MPG files. It works! On my fc6 laptop, it has no
problems with my files. Why is that unlikely? It works for me. The
version of mplayer installed on my laptop does not. Its a fact. Clear
and simple.

>> On my desktop/server machine, it plays the audio and the video just
>> fine. (for some reason, I'm running the ATRPMs version on my home
>> server. Maybe because its also the MythTV server.)
>>
>> Can't install the ATRPMs version on the FC6 laptop. That'll have
>> to wait until I upgrade the FC6.i386 to F8.x86_64. Probably some
>> time after the new year.
>>
>> Whether the files are strict MPEG-2, I can't tell you. The file
>> command
>>
>> seems to think they are some flavor of MPEG-2:
>>> MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex
>>>
>>> Richard
>
> something quick and easy (only remuxing, no re-encoding required):
> run $ mkfifo /tmp/fifo , then:
>
> $ mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts
> format=dvd:tsaf:interleaving2 -o /tmp/fifo -oac copy -ovc copy
> file1.mpg file2.mpg
>
> and on the other:
>
> $ dvdauthor -o dvd_dir -t /tmp/fifo && dvdauthor -o dvd_dir -T
>
> If all is fine in few minutes you will have a burnable dvd_dir
> directory:
>
> $ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z dvd_dir -dvd-video -udf -R -J
>
> Notice that if the bitrates (of the video or of the audio stream)
> are too high the first pass will likely lead to errors and you will
> have to reencode at least the video stream (read the docs
> in www.mplayerhq.hu for details)

I will play with what you have shown me here and see what happens.
Following Gene's advice did not help me, as dvdauthor did *not* like my
mpeg files as they are. So I understand that some re-encoding will be
necessary. I can see that mythtv does re-encode the mpegs that my
capture cards produce, so I am not surprised.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:06 PM
"Richard Shaw"

I will play with what you have shown me here and see what happens.
Following Gene's advice did not help me, as dvdauthor did *not* like my
mpeg files as they are. *So I understand that some re-encoding will be

necessary. *I can see that mythtv does re-encode the mpegs that my
capture cards produce, so I am not surprised.

Try this link:
AVI to DVD. Obviously it is intended for AVI files but the transcode command doesn't have anything in it that is AVI specific as far as I can tell. The down side is it will split your video and audio into two files you'll have to mplex back together but it may just work. A transcode guru on the list may be able to get it to work without splitting the A/V...

Richard

Old 12-28-2007, 06:56 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Richard Shaw wrote:
> Try this link: AVI to DVD
> <http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/AVI_to_DVD>.
> Obviously it is intended for AVI files but the transcode command doesn't
> have anything in it that is AVI specific as far as I can tell. The down
> side is it will split your video and audio into two files you'll have to
> mplex back together but it may just work. A transcode guru on the list
> may be able to get it to work without splitting the A/V...
>
> Richard

Thanks Richard! That was just what I was looking for. I have now been
able to burn a DVD with my movie on it! I can make a script from this
process so I don't have to think about it again!