Old 12-27-2007, 11:10 PM
"Dean S. Messing"

Default Installing from the 3 DVD fedora 8 "Everything" re-spin

I just completed the download of the jigdo "Everything" DVD respin for x86_64.

FYI, I used the CLI command

jigdo-lite http://jigdo.fedoraunity.org/templates/Fedora-8-Everything/Fedora-8-Everything.jigdo

I didn't have the original F8 so I let it download everything (no pun
intended). It took about 12 hours running three parallel jigdo's, one
for each of the 3 DVDs in the respin.

Now I have 3 DVD iso images, and I'm wondering how the installer is
going to treat them. I've never installed from 3 DVDs, just 1. I
mount it on a separate NFS-enabled machine, and point Anaconda to the
DVD iso image. Will this work with three DVD's? I don't recall if
one can even tell the installer about more than 1.

I'm not quite ready to do the install but am just getting my ducks in
a row for when I am.

Thanks.

Dean

Old 12-28-2007, 03:57 AM
"Dean S. Messing"

Dean Messing wrote:
: I just completed the download of the jigdo "Everything" DVD respin for x86_64.
:
: FYI, I used the CLI command
:
: jigdo-lite http://jigdo.fedoraunity.org/templates/Fedora-8-Everything/Fedora-8-Everything.jigdo
:
: I didn't have the original F8 so I let it download everything (no pun
: intended). It took about 12 hours running three parallel jigdo's, one
: for each of the 3 DVDs in the respin.
:
: Now I have 3 DVD iso images, and I'm wondering how the installer is
: going to treat them. I've never installed from 3 DVDs, just 1. I
: mount it on a separate NFS-enabled machine, and point Anaconda to the
: DVD iso image. Will this work with three DVD's? I don't recall if
: one can even tell the installer about more than 1.
:
: I'm not quite ready to do the install but am just getting my ducks in
: a row for when I am.

Ok, I have egg on my face. I'm just glad that I discovered it before
you did. The "everthing respin" is not a respin, just a spin. :-)

If you use the above jigdo link, the stuff inside is from the original
Fedora 7 release, dated 13th November 2007. So, I've downloaded
alotabits for nothing. Oh well. Learned how to jigdo.

Dean

Old 12-28-2007, 06:39 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Dean S. Messing wrote:

> I just completed the download of the jigdo "Everything" DVD respin for x86_64.
>
> FYI, I used the CLI command
>
> jigdo-lite http://jigdo.fedoraunity.org/templates/Fedora-8-Everything/Fedora-8-Everything.jigdo
>
> I didn't have the original F8 so I let it download everything (no
> pun intended). It took about 12 hours running three parallel
> jigdo's, one for each of the 3 DVDs in the respin.

without the original (baseline) DVDs, you kind of lose the benefit of
jigdo since you'll end up downloading every single RPM and
reconstructing the DVD ISO on your end. in that case, you're probably
better off just using bittorrent.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-28-2007, 12:15 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Ah well, I wonder if you wound up with proper .iso files or were they
> .iso.tmp? And it is not clear to me that jigdo is really working for Fedora
> yet.
>
> Karl

why do you keep doing this, karl? as far as i can tell, jigdo works
just fine, as others have verified, as long as you do the right thing.
the difference in the two files above is that, while jigdo is still
populating your ISO image, you'll have a .iso.tmp file. once it's
complete and there's nothing more to add, jigdo will verify that the
ISO image seems to be good, and will rename it to .iso.

in short, as long as jigdo is building the image and the file has a
suffix of .iso.tmp, it's *not* *finished* *yet*.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Karl Larsen

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

[...]

Well rday it appears finished and I did rename it without the .tmp.
I was asking the other guy if he had the same thing.

It is a FACT that jigdo was not done but kept asking for another
location to get files from. But it made no sense so I used Ctrl-c to end it.

Since then I put the jigdo file on a DVD and it looks fine. I need
to install it and see if that works properly. Or have you done that?

The manual is coming along well and will send it to you when it
looks done.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-28-2007, 01:00 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

> It is a FACT that jigdo was not done but kept asking for another
> location to get files from. But it made no sense so I used Ctrl-c to
> end it.

that's because jigdo gives you the option of getting your rpms from
more than one location. just keep entering different locations until
you have no more to provide, then hit ENTER to start the build
process.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA