Old 12-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Timothy Selivanow

Default how to setup the linux to send to console server

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 03:53 +0800, adrian kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am searching some sites and still don't know how to
> setup the linux to send to console server
>
> Can you give me information?
>
> Thank you

I read this How-To years ago (this site is an awesome resource BTW).
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/

The three things that need to be configured are:
1. BIOS (if you are lucky enough)
2. GRUB
3. kernel (through parameters from GRUB)

For a quick and dirty answer:

add (or modify) the following lines to /etc/grub.conf

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
terminal serial console

and modify the "kernel" line in /etc/grub.conf adding

console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8

That will enable both GRUB and TTY access through ttyS0 (COM1 in
win-speak) using 9600bps and 8n1. You can change those values, you just
need to modify your serial terminal to match.

--Tim
< Go on, EMOTE! I was RAISED on thought balloons!! >

Old 01-11-2008, 02:00 PM
adrian kok

Hi timothy

Thank you so much

I follow the link

and put co:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0 9600 vt100
in inittab

in /var/log/message, there is
init: Id "co" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
minutes

and /var/log/secure, there is

agetty[2033]: ttyS0: ioctl: Input/output error

do you have idea?

Thank you so much

--- Timothy Selivanow