Old 12-27-2007, 02:40 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default Fedora Cookbook: The Broadcom wireless recipe.

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora_8

feedback appreciated.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-27-2007, 03:18 PM
"Andrew Parker"

On Dec 27, 2007 10:40 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora_8
>
> feedback appreciated.
>
> rday

Being nosey*, after having a look at the page I clicked "random page".
It seems you've been the victim of spam:
http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Wiki/index.php

* - Hey, it comes with the name.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:21 PM
"Vivek J. Patankar"

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora_8
feedback appreciated.

The method worked flawlessly for me, except that I followed instructions
from http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras

I have an Acer Aspire 5004 with a bcm4318 chip.

विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)
Linux 2.6.23.8-63.fc8 x86_64

Old 12-27-2007, 03:28 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora_8
> > feedback appreciated.
>
> The method worked flawlessly for me, except that I followed instructions from
> http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras
> I have an Acer Aspire 5004 with a bcm4318 chip.

hmmmm ... i note that that page strongly recommends the use of
NetworkManager. not that long ago, people were complaining about how
it didn't work very well. perhaps i'll have to take another look at
it but, for now, since it doesn't seem critical, i just leave it out
of the mix.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-27-2007, 03:44 PM
"Alan"

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
>
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora_8
>> > feedback appreciated.
>>
>> The method worked flawlessly for me, except that I followed instructions
>> from
>> http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras
>> I have an Acer Aspire 5004 with a bcm4318 chip.
>
> hmmmm ... i note that that page strongly recommends the use of
> NetworkManager. not that long ago, people were complaining about how
> it didn't work very well. perhaps i'll have to take another look at
> it but, for now, since it doesn't seem critical, i just leave it out
> of the mix.

All networkManager does is set up the device in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. Easier than setting it up by hand, I
guess.

I just set up my Broadcom 4306 yesterday. (By amazing coincidence.) It
was a royal pain. I thought I needed the legacy driver because I could
not get the regular driver to work with the new firmware. I could not get
the legacy driver to work, so out of frustration I tried loading the new
firmware and new driver and it worked just fine. (In fact it works better
than my Atheros card. I think HP uses the back of the screen as an
antenna. It has a frikin huge screen on this beast.)

If you think you need the b43legacy driver and it does not work, try the
b43 driver with the new firmware instead. You might be in the same
situation as I was in.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:33 PM
"Vivek J. Patankar"