Old 12-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Rick Bilonick

Default Getting bcm4318 wifi card to work with Fedora 6 & 8

Several weeks ago I posted that my Broadcom bcm4318 mini pci wifi card
stopped working with Fedora 6 kernels after 2.6.20-1.2962.fc6 in a Dell
Inspiron 2200. I had used ndiswrapper and the error messages I was
getting seemed to indicate that I needed new firmware. Apparently, this
was coming from the newer native bcm43xx driver built into the newer
kernels - not from ndiswrapper. No one seemed to have any clue what was
wrong. I inadvertently discovered that the reason was that ndiswrapper
needed the b43 driver blacklisted (in addition to blacklisting the
bcm43xx driver) for the newer kernels. I found a mention of blacklisting
the b43 driver in someone's posting on the Internet.

I discovered this when I temporarily switched a hard drive from a
different laptop (a Toshiba Satellite A15-S129) that had Fedora 8
installed without ndiswrapper. When I put the F8 drive in the Dell with
the 4318 mini pci wifi card, I still could not get the 4318 to work with
the native drivers (it seemed so close - but would ALWAYS end up causing
the system to freeze while networkmanager was trying to connect). IMO,
the native bcm43xx drivers just will not work with the 4318 in the Dell
Inspiron 2200 under F8. (Maybe someone has it working and can prove me
wrong.) Once I blacklisted the b43 and used ndiswrapper with bcmwl5.inf,
the 4318 worked under F8 (and it works very well as it did before under
F6, and blacklisting b43 under F6 also works with the newer F6 kernels).
So at least I know when I install F8 on the Dell's own hard drive I will
be able to use the 4318.

Rick B.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:29 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Rick Bilonick wrote:

> Several weeks ago I posted that my Broadcom bcm4318 mini pci wifi
> card stopped working with Fedora 6 kernels after 2.6.20-1.2962.fc6
> in a Dell Inspiron 2200. I had used ndiswrapper and the error
> messages I was getting seemed to indicate that I needed new
> firmware. Apparently, this was coming from the newer native bcm43xx
> driver built into the newer kernels - not from ndiswrapper. No one
> seemed to have any clue what was wrong. I inadvertently discovered
> that the reason was that ndiswrapper needed the b43 driver
> blacklisted (in addition to blacklisting the bcm43xx driver) for the
> newer kernels. I found a mention of blacklisting the b43 driver in
> someone's posting on the Internet.
>
> I discovered this when I temporarily switched a hard drive from a
> different laptop (a Toshiba Satellite A15-S129) that had Fedora 8
> installed without ndiswrapper. When I put the F8 drive in the Dell
> with the 4318 mini pci wifi card, I still could not get the 4318 to
> work with the native drivers (it seemed so close - but would ALWAYS
> end up causing the system to freeze while networkmanager was trying
> to connect). IMO, the native bcm43xx drivers just will not work with
> the 4318 in the Dell Inspiron 2200 under F8. (Maybe someone has it
> working and can prove me wrong.) Once I blacklisted the b43 and used
> ndiswrapper with bcmwl5.inf, the 4318 worked under F8 (and it works
> very well as it did before under F6, and blacklisting b43 under F6
> also works with the newer F6 kernels). So at least I know when I
> install F8 on the Dell's own hard drive I will be able to use the
> 4318.

well, now that i've beaten jigdo to within an inch of its life, maybe
i should go back and "cookbook-ify" my wiki page on fedora and
broadcom wireless:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora

i haven't looked at it in over a month, and it may be that things have
improved since then. unless there's already a decent HOWTO on that
somewhere. john?

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 01-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Peter Reed

Old 01-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Peter Reed

On Thursday 27 December 2007 05:29:21 am Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> > Several weeks ago I posted that my Broadcom bcm4318 mini pci wifi
> > card stopped working with Fedora 6 kernels after 2.6.20-1.2962.fc6
> > in a Dell Inspiron 2200. I had used ndiswrapper and the error
> > messages I was getting seemed to indicate that I needed new
> > firmware. Apparently, this was coming from the newer native bcm43xx
> > driver built into the newer kernels - not from ndiswrapper. No one
> > seemed to have any clue what was wrong. I inadvertently discovered
> > that the reason was that ndiswrapper needed the b43 driver
> > blacklisted (in addition to blacklisting the bcm43xx driver) for the
> > newer kernels. I found a mention of blacklisting the b43 driver in
> > someone's posting on the Internet.
> >
> > I discovered this when I temporarily switched a hard drive from a
> > different laptop (a Toshiba Satellite A15-S129) that had Fedora 8
> > installed without ndiswrapper. When I put the F8 drive in the Dell
> > with the 4318 mini pci wifi card, I still could not get the 4318 to
> > work with the native drivers (it seemed so close - but would ALWAYS
> > end up causing the system to freeze while networkmanager was trying
> > to connect). IMO, the native bcm43xx drivers just will not work with
> > the 4318 in the Dell Inspiron 2200 under F8. (Maybe someone has it
> > working and can prove me wrong.) Once I blacklisted the b43 and used
> > ndiswrapper with bcmwl5.inf, the 4318 worked under F8 (and it works
> > very well as it did before under F6, and blacklisting b43 under F6
> > also works with the newer F6 kernels). So at least I know when I
> > install F8 on the Dell's own hard drive I will be able to use the
> > 4318.
>
> well, now that i've beaten jigdo to within an inch of its life, maybe
> i should go back and "cookbook-ify" my wiki page on fedora and
> broadcom wireless:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora
>
> i haven't looked at it in over a month, and it may be that things have
> improved since then. unless there's already a decent HOWTO on that
> somewhere. john?
>
> rday
> Robert P. J. Day
> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry
> Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
> http://crashcourse.ca

Have you tried this method:
http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras
It worked flawlessly for me on a new HP with the Broadcom Corporation
BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 02).
Peter

Old 01-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Richard England

Peter Reed wrote:

[...]

I have to say I think the site has been hacked you might want to check.
Peter

Try this, instead
http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_wireless_on_Fedora_8

~~R

Old 01-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Rick Bilonick

> Have you tried this method:
> http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras
> It worked flawlessly for me on a new HP with the Broadcom Corporation
> BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 02).
> Peter

Yes, I had tried doing what this web page suggested too many times to
count without any success.

Now that I got the bcm4318 to work perfectly with ndiswrapper, I have
absolutely no incentive whatsoever to try getting the bcm43xx driver to
work. I don't see that it would be any better than using ndiswrapper,
assuming the bcm43xx driver works at all.

Rick B.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:40 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Rick Bilonick wrote:

> > Have you tried this method:
> > http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras
> > It worked flawlessly for me on a new HP with the Broadcom Corporation
> > BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 02).
> > Peter
>
> Yes, I had tried doing what this web page suggested too many times
> to count without any success.
>
> Now that I got the bcm4318 to work perfectly with ndiswrapper, I
> have absolutely no incentive whatsoever to try getting the bcm43xx
> driver to work. I don't see that it would be any better than using
> ndiswrapper, assuming the bcm43xx driver works at all.

i have wireless working just fine on a laptop with a "Broadcom
Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)" using the b43 module.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Rick Bilonick

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 20:40 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Rick Bilonick wrote:
>

> > > Have you tried this method:
> > > http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras
> > > It worked flawlessly for me on a new HP with the Broadcom Corporation
> > > BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 02).
> > > Peter
> >
> > Yes, I had tried doing what this web page suggested too many times
> > to count without any success.
> >
> > Now that I got the bcm4318 to work perfectly with ndiswrapper, I
> > have absolutely no incentive whatsoever to try getting the bcm43xx
> > driver to work. I don't see that it would be any better than using
> > ndiswrapper, assuming the bcm43xx driver works at all.
>
> i have wireless working just fine on a laptop with a "Broadcom
> Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)" using the b43 module.
>
> rday

Unfortunately it does NOT appear to work with the bcm4318 card. At
least, not on a Dell Inspiron 2200 running Fedora 8. It does work using
ndiswrapper and so what would be the point of screwing up what works
just fine to TRY to get b43 to work?

Rick B.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:15 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Rick Bilonick wrote:

> > > Yes, I had tried doing what this web page suggested too many times
> > > to count without any success.
> > >
> > > Now that I got the bcm4318 to work perfectly with ndiswrapper, I
> > > have absolutely no incentive whatsoever to try getting the bcm43xx
> > > driver to work. I don't see that it would be any better than using
> > > ndiswrapper, assuming the bcm43xx driver works at all.
> >
> > i have wireless working just fine on a laptop with a "Broadcom
> > Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)" using the b43 module.
> >
> > rday
>
> Unfortunately it does NOT appear to work with the bcm4318 card. At
> least, not on a Dell Inspiron 2200 running Fedora 8. It does work using
> ndiswrapper and so what would be the point of screwing up what works
> just fine to TRY to get b43 to work?

the "b43" driver appears to work just fine on another model of gateway
laptop i have that has the BCM4318. but if what you have works,
you're right -- why mess with it?