Old 12-27-2007, 05:40 AM
"孙志梁"

Default Add Remove Software Through CD

I'm using Fc6 and when I try to add or remove software ,it will download for me
but sometimes the connection speed is slow and it takes long time.So I wonde how
I can add software through the installation CD like Red hat 9.0 instead of
downloading .

Old 12-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Jim Cornette

*志梁 wrote:

I'm using Fc6 and when I try to add or remove software ,it will download for me
but sometimes the connection speed is slow and it takes long time.So I wonde how
I can add software through the installation CD like Red hat 9.0 instead of
downloading .

You can start the software updater and select the local repo from the
listed repos. If you installed from DVD there should be one listed for
the DVD software retrieval.

Recent archives discussed this issue about the time Fedora 8 was released.

--
The longer the title, the less important the job.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:59 PM

open a terminal session from the menu
change to root with the command
*
su -
folowed by the root password
enter the command for your favorite editor on the command line followed by an & to start it in a separate session.* Type the following lines between the asterisks.
[fedora-disk]
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=file:///cdrom
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
Use the editors "save as" function to save what was typed to a file named
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.disk.repo
*
Put the fedora disk in the*drive.* If*the automount window comes up on your desktop click on the*
"do*nothing" option.
*
In the terminal session enter the command string
*
mkdir* /cdrom;mount* /dev/cdrom */cdrom
*
All the packages on the CD will then be accessible with yum, yumex, package updater or kyum.
*
Robert McBroom

Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Robert McBroom (TNWestTex)

> Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Robert:
>
> > ************************************************** ***********************
> > [fedora-disk]
> > gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY [1]
> > name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
> > baseurl=file:///cdrom
> > enabled=1
> > gpgcheck=1
> > ************************************************** ***********************
> >

> Let's say that I wanted to use the DVD instead. Would I change the
> baseurl to 'dvdrom'?

In baseurl "cdrom" is the mount point created with a

mkdir /cdrom command. Use the command

mount /dev/dvdrom /cdrom or possibly

mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom Some detective work may be necessary to see what your system uses. The label on the DVD/CD that automount puts in /media when it mounts the disk is tricky to get to work in the baseurl reference (also subject to change from disk to disk).

Robert McBroom

Links:
------
[1] file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY