Old 12-26-2007, 04:10 PM
William Case

Default Epson Stylus CX8400 -- 3 in I ??

Hi;

I have an opportunity to buy a brand new Epson Stylus CX8400. I have
checked LinuxPrinting.org. The status given there is "mostly". The
negative comments seem to apply to distributions other than Fedora.

So -- has anybody on this list had a bad experience installing drivers
and setting up the Epson Stylus CX8400 printer on Fedora 8 ? Do you
know of any 'gotchas'?
--
Regards Bill

Old 12-29-2007, 01:33 AM
"Gerry Tool"

On Dec 26, 2007 11:10 AM, William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have an opportunity to buy a brand new Epson Stylus CX8400. I have
> checked LinuxPrinting.org. The status given there is "mostly". The
> negative comments seem to apply to distributions other than Fedora.
>
> So -- has anybody on this list had a bad experience installing drivers
> and setting up the Epson Stylus CX8400 printer on Fedora 8 ? Do you
> know of any 'gotchas'?
> --
I don't know anything about the CX8400 except that there is a foomatic
printer driver available for it in F8. I have a CX4400 for which
there is NOT a driver, and it essentially doesn't work.

I don't know if there is a scanner driver; you might want to look at
http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_spc.html
to see if iscan supports it.. It appears from
http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11666 that it does.

I can't currently reach the avasys site. If it is supported, it is
usually easy to install iscan and get your scanner recognized using
scanimage -L and sane-find-scanner as tools for troubleshooting.
There are many scanner troubleshooting posts available.

Gerry

Old 12-29-2007, 02:19 AM
William Case

Thanks for replying Gerry;

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 20:33 -0600, Gerry Tool wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2007 11:10 AM, William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
> > Hi;

[snip]
> I can't currently reach the avasys site. If it is supported, it is
> usually easy to install iscan and get your scanner recognized using
> scanimage -L and sane-find-scanner as tools for troubleshooting.
> There are many scanner troubleshooting posts available.

Because of the potential difficulties, I bought a HP Photosmart CX4280
instead. The HP installed with few problems and is running almost
perfectly.

--
Regards Bill