Old 12-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Adel ESSAFI

Default windows and linux

Dear list
any one can help me to find an information about statistics about the
linux and windows presence on PC. I heard that 98% of PC contain windows!!!

is it true please?
regards
Adel

Old 12-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Karl Larsen

Adel ESSAFI wrote:

Dear list
any one can help me to find an information about statistics about the
linux and windows presence on PC. I heard that 98% of PC contain
windows!!!

is it true please?
regards
Adel

In the mass media places like Wal Mart 100% of the new computers
have Windows installed. So the overall world wide percentage might be
like 98% with 1.5 % Max and .05% Linux.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-26-2007, 03:33 PM
"Jacques B."

On Dec 26, 2007 11:11 AM, Adel ESSAFI <adel.safi@esstt.rnu.tn> wrote:
> Dear list
> any one can help me to find an information about statistics about the
> linux and windows presence on PC. I heard that 98% of PC contain windows!!!
> is it true please?
> regards
> Adel

Check out http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Looks like they have a fairly large sampling pool to arrive at their
stats. It sounds more representative than anything else I've seen to
date. However results can be skewed if the 6,000+ sites have content
that tend to favour visitors with a particular profile (i.e. more
Linux sites, more Apple sites, or more Windows sites - if they are
using relatively neutral sites that provide content compatible across
all then that would help ensure a more accurate representation).

Jacques B.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:35 PM
"Jacques B."

> Check out http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Just noticed a pull down menu with previous dates so you can see how
the stats have been evolving - nice.

Jacques B.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:43 PM
David Boles

Old 12-26-2007, 03:45 PM
"Jacques B."

On Dec 26, 2007 11:35 AM, Jacques B. <jjrboucher@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Check out http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
>
> Just noticed a pull down menu with previous dates so you can see how
> the stats have been evolving - nice.
>
> Jacques B.

Doing quick math with the oldest (May 2007) vs the newest (Dec 2007)
we see that the combined Windows market share
(ME/98/NT/2000/2003//XP/Vista) went from 93.41% to 91.48%. Linux went
from 1.25% to 1.77%. Mac has OS X and Power PC listed (although
PowerPC less than 1/10 of 1% in both cases). So for OS X they went
from 3.85% to 4.56%. The combined gain of Linux & OS X is 1.23% for
that period while the combined decline of Windows system is 1.93. So
there is 0.7% loss from Windows that went somewhere other than Linux
or OS X (BSD perhaps?).

Jacques B.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:57 PM
"Jacques B."

> OS Platform Statistics
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
>

> David

Their stats unfortunately do not tell you the size of the sample pool
used. They say they used their logs. But they don't say how many
logs they use or who is contributing the logs. If they do mention
this it's not obvious when you visit the site. If this info is
available I'd be interested in seeing it in order to have some
perspective to their numbers vs the other site I mentioned.

Jacques B.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Peter Lauri

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 11:57 -0500, Jacques B. wrote:
> Their stats unfortunately do not tell you the size of the sample pool
> used. They say they used their logs. But they don't say how many
> logs they use or who is contributing the logs. If they do mention
> this it's not obvious when you visit the site. If this info is
> available I'd be interested in seeing it in order to have some
> perspective to their numbers vs the other site I mentioned.

As w3schools might have many developers as visitors, the %-age is higher
then normal, it is pretty logical. But sad to see that developers aren't
just using linux

Old 12-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Peter Lauri

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 09:23 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> In the mass media places like Wal Mart 100% of the new computers
> have Windows installed. So the overall world wide percentage might be
> like 98% with 1.5 % Max and .05% Linux.

Probably not that good estimation And I thought that Max was a
hamburger restaurant in Sweden, not an OS...

Old 12-26-2007, 04:50 PM
David Boles