Old 12-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Gilboa Davara

Default windows and linux

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 11:35 -0500, Jacques B. wrote:
> > Check out http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
>
> Just noticed a pull down menu with previous dates so you can see how
> the stats have been evolving - nice.
>
> Jacques B.

Seems that Linux have jumped from ~1.2% to ~1.8%, passing Windows 98 in
the way.

Never the less, these numbers don't really mean much. (E.g. people
running IE6/7 under wine, servers that are never being used to browse
the net, embedded applications, etc)

- Gilboa

Old 12-27-2007, 01:52 PM
David Boles

Old 12-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Frank Cox

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 09:52:44 -0500
David Boles <dgboles@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Seems that Linux have jumped from ~1.2% to ~1.8%, passing Windows 98 in
> > the way.
>
> WOW!! That is amazing! Linux usage jumped(??) up by 0.6% and passed an
> OS that was EOL July 11, 2006!! ;-)

You might be surprised. I do some occasional work for an ISP around here (the
help desk calls me when they run into "hard stuff") and I see a fair number of
Windows 98 machines online, not to mention a few Windows 95 machines as well.

On the other hand, other than my own stuff I have seen only three other
Linux installations in my town. Two of them are installs that I did for
clients and the third set up his own Ubuntu after I installed Fedora for his
next-door neighbour.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Antonio Olivares

--- Singer Wang <swang@cs.dal.ca> wrote:

> I disagree, most people will wipe it and put a
> pirated copy of Windows on.

I agree with you disagreeing. They have a few
problems though --> They will have to look for the
drivers for sound/video/modem/etc, while with the
preinstalled linux they do not have to do this .

Someone told me that the biggest challenge to Windows,
is not MAC, not BSD, not Linux but Microsoft *Pirated*
Windows. Maybe Richard Stallman said that what is
worst than a pirated copy of windows is an authentic
copy of windows.

I hope that more people do not do this, *remove linux
and install pirate copy of windows * but you are
correct. It is a choice that they have, I guess *XP
pirate* will do much better than *Vista pirate*.
Vista is a resource hog and those low end machines
will suffer the consequences.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 12-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Antonio Olivares

--- Alan <alan@clueserver.org> wrote:

> > I disagree, most people will wipe it and put a
> pirated copy of Windows on.
>
> "Most people" could not get Windows to install
> correctly if their lives
> depended on it. (And get all the devices working on
> it.)
>
> "Most people" take what was installed on the machine
> and do little with
> it. This is why Windows is so prevalent. It is
> not because it is
> better. It is because people are lazy and don't
> know any better.
>
> --

Well said!!! But his point is also a legitimate
threat, * if they cannot install pirate windows on it
*, they will take it to a friend or a business to do
it for them HOW SAD

Regards,

Antonio

Old 12-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 13:08 -0500, David Boles wrote:

> Alan wrote:

> >> 91.48% for Windows
> >> 1.77% for Linux
> >> 4.58% for Mac
> >>
> >> is very similar to the number from the site I linked. Actually the Linux
> >> numbers are better, about double, from the site I Linked.
> >>
> >> I gather you did not look down the page?
> >>
> >> - ------------------------------------
> >> Statistics Are Often Misleading
> >>
> >> You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics
> >> can often be misleading.
> >>
> >> Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different
> >> sites attract different audiences. Some web sites attract professional
> >> developers using professional hardware, while other sites attract
> >> hobbyists using old low spec computers.
> >
> > There are also browsers that lie as to what OS and browser they are
> > running so that Microsoft IIS servers will deliver content correctly.
> >
> > Never believe the http header.
>

> You do know that it is all a Microsoft plot don't you? ;-)

Damn skippy. I would call it a nefarious one at best. And, I'm likewise
a scheming bastard. Ergo, I can call 'em as I see 'em! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 19:29 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > There are also browsers that lie as to what OS and browser they are
> > > running so that Microsoft IIS servers will deliver content correctly.
> > >
> > > Never believe the http header.
> >

> > You do know that it is all a Microsoft plot don't you? ;-)
>
> Damn skippy. I would call it a nefarious one at best. And, I'm likewise
> a scheming bastard. Ergo, I can call 'em as I see 'em! Ric
----
that seems to be another way of saying that you can't con a con

;-)

Craig

Old 12-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Rogue

Old 12-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Karl Larsen

Rogue wrote:

A good example is Skype. This is a fun device that lets you talk all
over the world using the Internet. Yes they do produce a Linux version.
On Windows a cam camera with a mike aboard is all you need. You set the
camera so it see's you and you can talk through it. On Fedora 8 you get
the VERY latest model and it will run. The web cam does not even find
Skype or Skye it. But it does limp along with voice. This is so much fun
I do it on my laptop with windows.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-01-2008, 04:47 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 17:37 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > You do know that it is all a Microsoft plot don't you? ;-)
> >
> > Damn skippy. I would call it a nefarious one at best. And, I'm likewise
> > a scheming bastard. Ergo, I can call 'em as I see 'em! Ric
> ----
> that seems to be another way of saying that you can't con a con
...got that right! <sly wink> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar