Old 12-26-2007, 04:53 PM
"Alan"

Default windows and linux

> Jacques B. wrote:
>>> OS Platform Statistics
>>> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
>>>

>>> David
>>
>> Their stats unfortunately do not tell you the size of the sample pool
>> used. They say they used their logs. But they don't say how many
>> logs they use or who is contributing the logs. If they do mention
>> this it's not obvious when you visit the site. If this info is
>> available I'd be interested in seeing it in order to have some
>> perspective to their numbers vs the other site I mentioned.
>
>>From the W3Counter site
>
> 91.48% for Windows
> 1.77% for Linux
> 4.58% for Mac
>
> is very similar to the number from the site I linked. Actually the Linux
> numbers are better, about double, from the site I Linked.
>
> I gather you did not look down the page?
>
> - ------------------------------------
> Statistics Are Often Misleading
>
> You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics
> can often be misleading.
>
> Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different
> sites attract different audiences. Some web sites attract professional
> developers using professional hardware, while other sites attract
> hobbyists using old low spec computers.

There are also browsers that lie as to what OS and browser they are
running so that Microsoft IIS servers will deliver content correctly.

Never believe the http header.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:08 PM
David Boles

Old 12-26-2007, 05:43 PM
"Richard Shaw"

On Dec 26, 2007 10:23 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

Adel ESSAFI wrote:
> Dear list
> any one can help me to find an information about statistics about the
> linux and windows presence on PC. I heard that 98% of PC contain
> windows!!!

> is it true please?
> regards
> Adel

* *In the mass media places like Wal Mart 100% of the new computers
have Windows installed. So the overall world wide percentage might be
like 98% with
1.5 % Max and .05% Linux.

Karl

Not necessarily true. Walmart sold Lindows/Linspire PCs and now they are selling a
low end linux based computer which they've almost always sold out of.

Richard

Old 12-26-2007, 06:11 PM
"Jacques B."

<snip>
> > Their stats unfortunately do not tell you the size of the sample pool
> > used. They say they used their logs. But they don't say how many
> > logs they use or who is contributing the logs. If they do mention
> > this it's not obvious when you visit the site. If this info is
> > available I'd be interested in seeing it in order to have some
> > perspective to their numbers vs the other site I mentioned.
<snip>

> I gather you did not look down the page?
>
> - ------------------------------------
> Statistics Are Often Misleading
>
> You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics
> can often be misleading.
>
> Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different
> sites attract different audiences. Some web sites attract professional
> developers using professional hardware, while other sites attract
> hobbyists using old low spec computers.
> - --
>

> David

No, actually I did not. However that only tells us what we already
know. It does not tell us anything at all about how they gathered
their stats to arrive at their numbers, which was my original point
concerning these stats vs the other site I noted. If they aren't
telling you what data makes up their stats you can't put it into
context and weight them accordingly. At least the other site tells
you the number of unique visitors (I presume by IP which doesn't mean
unique visitors ultimately, but could also be through using cookies
which again is not without its caveats), and the number of sites
polled - over 6,000 which of course if they were primarily MS sites or
sites using MS proprietary code then that would skew the results same
as if they were primarily tech sites where you are likely to find more
Linux representation vs the non-techies. But at least it gives some
context to the stats.

At the end of the day neither should be given too much weight. But in
my opinion w3schools even less unless they post on the stats page
where the data came from to arrive at those stats. The statement you
pointed out at the bottom of their page does not meet that
requirement. Not saying the stats are worthless. Just that one
cannot decide how much worth to give it in absence of this info.

Jacques B.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Karl Larsen

computer<http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/12/2235200>which
they've almost always sold out of.

Richard

I was guessing based on what I see in my Wal Mart. I live in Las
Cruces, NM and they must not send any of those here.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday 26 December 2007, Adel ESSAFI wrote:
>Dear list
>any one can help me to find an information about statistics about the
>linux and windows presence on PC. I heard that 98% of PC contain windows!!!
>is it true please?
>regards
>Adel

Around this camp, its only 20%. Of the 5 machines available, 4 were from
scratch builds that have never seen a windows install disk, and my lappy's
remaining 25GB XP partition hasn't been blown away yet, but probably will be
by F9. It hasn't been booted to XP in quite a few months.

If you are looking for confirmation of that 98% figure, these linux related
mailing lists are a very very poor resource.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Antonio Olivares

--- Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> Richard Shaw wrote:
> > On Dec 26, 2007 10:23 AM, Karl Larsen
> <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> statistics about the
> 98% of PC contain
> >>>

> >> In the mass media places like Wal Mart 100% of
> the new computers
> >> have Windows installed. So the overall world wide
> percentage might be
> >> like 98% with 1.5 % Max and .05% Linux.
> >>
> >> Karl
> >>

> > Not necessarily true. Walmart sold
> Lindows/Linspire PCs and now they are
> > selling a low end linux based

computer<http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/12/2235200>which
> > they've almost always sold out of.
> >
> > Richard
> >

> I was guessing based on what I see in my Wal
> Mart. I live in Las
> Cruces, NM and they must not send any of those here.
>
> Karl
>

> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23
> 53A7
>
> --

The guys running those WalMarts there in Las Cruces,
NM are * OUT OF THEIR MINDS *, In Texas, WalMarts ran
out of stock with those $200 computers. They did not
have Fedora , but they had gOS an ubuntu derivative
with Enlightment desktop, I wanted to get one for an
aunt but the Walmarts close by ran out and some did
not carry them . These computers are a big success
and there are others at MadTux as well. The story to
be continued with $300 laptops, this surely will get
more people to look at linux .

Regards,

Antonio

Old 12-27-2007, 12:03 AM
"Singer Wang"

I disagree, most people will wipe it and put a pirated copy of Windows on.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:08 AM
"Alan"

> I disagree, most people will wipe it and put a pirated copy of Windows on.

"Most people" could not get Windows to install correctly if their lives
depended on it. (And get all the devices working on it.)

"Most people" take what was installed on the machine and do little with
it. This is why Windows is so prevalent. It is not because it is
better. It is because people are lazy and don't know any better.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:11 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Alan wrote:
>> I disagree, most people will wipe it and put a pirated copy of Windows on.
>
> "Most people" could not get Windows to install correctly if their lives
> depended on it. (And get all the devices working on it.)
>
> "Most people" take what was installed on the machine and do little with
> it. This is why Windows is so prevalent. It is not because it is
> better. It is because people are lazy and don't know any better.

From what I read of the specs, they would crawl with XP. They would
be a good 98 machine, but who would install 98?

Mikkel