Old 12-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Fedora 8 user logo

Has anyone successfully set up a user logo
which appears on the login page when starting up Fedora 8?

I have set the logo in KDE on going to
Control Center=>System Administration=>Login Manager=>Users
(in Administrative Mode), choosing a User and User Image.

The image appears on this page,
but not on the login page.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Old 12-26-2007, 03:45 PM
"Vivek J. Patankar"

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Has anyone successfully set up a user logo
which appears on the login page when starting up Fedora 8?

I have set the logo in KDE on going to
Control Center=>System Administration=>Login Manager=>Users
(in Administrative Mode), choosing a User and User Image.

The image appears on this page,
but not on the login page.

Try setting up the photo in "gnome-about-me".

विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)
Linux 2.6.23.8-63.fc8 x86_64

Old 12-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Mike

Timothy Murphy <gayleard <at> eircom.net> writes:

> The image appears on this page,
> but not on the login page.

Try editing /etc/kde/kdm./kdmrc
and changing the line
UseTheme=true
UseTheme=false

Old 12-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Timothy Murphy

Mike wrote:

>> The image appears on this page,
>> but not on the login page.
>>

> Try editing /etc/kde/kdm./kdmrc
> and changing the line
> UseTheme=true
> UseTheme=false

I tried this (and re-booted)
but it did not seem to have any effect.

When the login page occurs my username
is accompanied by a blank head with a question-mark on it.

The KDE Control Center=>System Administration=>Login Manager
is fairly bad, IMHO.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Mike

Timothy Murphy <gayleard <at> eircom.net> writes:

> I tried this (and re-booted)
> but it did not seem to have any effect.
>
> When the login page occurs my username
> is accompanied by a blank head with a question-mark on it.
>
> The KDE Control Center=>System Administration=>Login Manager
> is fairly bad, IMHO.

Strange - but it works fine for me on 6 different f8 machines!

Old 12-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Timothy Murphy

Mike wrote:

>> The KDE Control Center=>System Administration=>Login Manager
>> is fairly bad, IMHO.
>
> Strange - but it works fine for me on 6 different f8 machines!

Can you add user icons which appear at logon time?
If so, how exactly do you do it?

Also, I've not been able to get an automatic password-less logon
under Fedora-8, as I had under Fedora-7.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Karl Larsen

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Mike wrote:

The KDE Control Center=>System Administration=>Login Manager
is fairly bad, IMHO.

Strange - but it works fine for me on 6 different f8 machines!

Can you add user icons which appear at logon time?
If so, how exactly do you do it?

Also, I've not been able to get an automatic password-less logon
under Fedora-8, as I had under Fedora-7.

Hi Tim I rooted around and found the page that lets me go from boot
to up with Thunderbird running. I keep forgetting to set Firefox to
turned on too :-)

Go to System-> Admin-> Login Window and give your password and tab to
security. It works just like F7

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-28-2007, 01:33 PM
"Gerry Tool"

On Dec 26, 2007 9:40 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

> Has anyone successfully set up a user logo
> which appears on the login page when starting up Fedora 8?
>
> I have set the logo in KDE on going to
> Control Center=>System Administration=>Login Manager=>Users
> (in Administrative Mode), choosing a User and User Image.
>
> The image appears on this page,
> but not on the login page.

I'm not sure of your setup, but I use GDM for login, but KDE desktop.

Insert the image you want in a folder such as /home/<your username>/faces/

Use KDE Menu System > Login Window > Users and check the box labeled
Default face and navigate to the file you want to use.

I'm sure other variations work also.

Gerry

Old 12-28-2007, 02:26 PM
Mike

Timothy Murphy <gayleard <at> eircom.net> writes:

> > Strange - but it works fine for me on 6 different f8 machines!
>
> Can you add user icons which appear at logon time?
> If so, how exactly do you do it?
>
> Also, I've not been able to get an automatic password-less logon
> under Fedora-8, as I had under Fedora-7.

For user icons - yes in the control centre go to System Administration ->
Login Manager and of course you need to click Administrator Mode and put
the root password in. Then Click on Users and go to one of the
available users, and then click on the image that appears for an individual
user.

This will allow you to select any of the images in
/usr/share/apps/kdm/pics/users/

I added my own icon files as .png files to this directory and it worked
just fine when logging back in.

I also presume that you have the following contents in /etc/sysconfig/desktop
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

With this I get the icon images in the login screen for any of the users
that I selected an icon image using the above procedure. You have to repeat
for each of the users separately.

I have not tried password-less login under kde - only for ssh as I want to
have to type the password to login for security, but perhaps others will answer
on that issue.