Old 12-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Claude Jones

Default harsh, crackly audio on new F8 install

I've seen a lot of advice to turn off Pulse to solve audio problems in the
current release. I wouldn't mind trying to get it to work, but, I'm not sure
where to go. This is on a laptop. I have a USB Creative Audigy card as well
as the built-in sound system, and they both work. If I run the Soundcard
detection applet, it plays nice crisp sound through the built-in audio
card/speakers in the laptop. If I play a flash animation from CNN's website,
it goes out through the Audigy to my Bose desktop speakers and comes out very
harsh sounding with lots of crackling. I went through the Pulse settings and
tried making the internal card the default, but nothing changed. I poked
around in the KDE Control Center audio settings, but there's not a whole lot
to change there, though I did try selecting Alsa as the audio device, but
again, nothing changed.

Where do I go from here?

By the way, this is on an ASUS G2S-B2 which I queried about a few days ago, as
to whether anyone was successfully running Fedora on it. After running
through about 5 latest-edition distros and tearing my hair out for the past 5
days, I reinstalled Fedora today, and for some reason, it went right on; the
video card was recognized sufficiently to allow the nv driver to work, though
it took some post-install fiddling with the various places where you can set
video resolution, before I got it to come up in full 1920x1200 full color. I
was then able to install the latest nVidia driver from freshrpm's, and it
looks great. The only remaining hardware issues are this sound problem, and
an inability to get the wireless nic to work - even though the driver for the
latter is supposed to be built in to the kernel - but that's another subject
for another thread.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA