Old 12-26-2007, 02:13 AM
Frank Cox

Default system-config-printer "there was a problem connecting to the cups server"

I'm having some problems getting the printing to work from this new laptop to
another of my machines that acts as a print server.

/sbin/service cups status
cupsd (pid 2287) is running...

When I run system-config-printer on the laptop a window comes up that says
"there was a problem connecting to the cups server". I hit OK and the program
exits.

Browsing to http://localhost:631 brings up the usual cups screen, and hitting
the "printers" tab shows me the remote printer. Hitting "print test page"
brings up a page that tells me "Firefox can't find the server at" my print
server's name.

I disabled the firewall on the laptop and nothing changed.

I deleted /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny on the laptop and nothing
changed.

I can print to my print server from this computer, just not from the
laptop.

What am I missing?

Old 12-26-2007, 02:22 AM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 21:13:45 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

> What am I missing?

And of course, one minute after I hit send I realized that Firefox was actually
telling me that I didn't have the fully qualified domain name of my print
server listed in /etc/hosts.

My in-house network is named melvilletheatre.net and my print server is named
mutt. I had the name mutt defined in /etc/hosts, but not
mutt.melvilletheatre.net and Firefox was telling me that.

"Firefox can't find the server at mutt.melvilletheatre.net"

Duh.

Problem solved, printer working.