Old 12-25-2007, 07:54 PM
"Frank Chiulli"

Default Sound Problem

I have an updated F8 box. I did a fresh install preserving /home. I
have a Sound Blaster Live! card installed. It worked fine under F7.

I'm having problems with sound.

As user in a terminal window:
$ aplay -l
aplay: device_list:205: no soundcards found...

I get no sound.

As root in a terminal window:
# aplay -l
card 0: Live [SBLive! Value [CT4832]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC
Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
Subdevices: 32/32
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
Subdevice #8: subdevice #8
Subdevice #9: subdevice #9
Subdevice #10: subdevice #10
Subdevice #11: subdevice #11
Subdevice #12: subdevice #12
Subdevice #13: subdevice #13
Subdevice #14: subdevice #14
Subdevice #15: subdevice #15
Subdevice #16: subdevice #16
Subdevice #17: subdevice #17
Subdevice #18: subdevice #18
Subdevice #19: subdevice #19
Subdevice #20: subdevice #20
Subdevice #21: subdevice #21
Subdevice #22: subdevice #22
Subdevice #23: subdevice #23
Subdevice #24: subdevice #24
Subdevice #25: subdevice #25
Subdevice #26: subdevice #26
Subdevice #27: subdevice #27
Subdevice #28: subdevice #28
Subdevice #29: subdevice #29
Subdevice #30: subdevice #30
Subdevice #31: subdevice #31
card 0: Live [SBLive! Value [CT4832]], device 2: emu10k1 efx
[Multichannel Capture/PT Playback]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: Live [SBLive! Value [CT4832]], device 3: emu10k1 [Multichannel Playback]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

As a user:
System -> Administration -> Soundcard Detection

After I enter root's password, a window titled "Audio configuration" appears.
It shows:
Selected card
Vendor: Creative Labs
Model: SB Live! EMU10k1
Module: snd-emu10k1

If I click the play button in the sound test frame, I hear the sound.

In the upper right-hand corner of the screen is the Volume Control icon. It
has a red circle with a white X in it. If I click on the icon, a window
appears with the following message in it:

The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This
means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that
you don't have a sound card configured.

You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the speaker
icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the menu.

If I go to a virtual console (Alt-Ctl-F2) and logon, I hear a sound.

[...]

If I go back to my X-windows environment (Alt-Ctl-F7), sound appears to work.

Double-clicking on the Volume Control icon, brings up a window titled "Volume
Control: Playback: ALSA PCM on hw:0 (ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback) via
DMA (PulseAudio Mixer).

Sound works.

I next logout of my virtual console session and go back to my X-windows session.

Double-clicking on the Volume Control icon, brings up a window titled "Volume
Control: SBLive! Value [CT4832] (Alsa Mixer).

Sound works.

Anyone have any idea how I can get sound to work without going through
these steps to get sound to work.

Thanks,
Frank

Merry Christmas

Old 12-26-2007, 02:34 PM

---- Frank Chiulli <frankc.fedora@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an updated F8 box. I did a fresh install preserving /home. I
> have a Sound Blaster Live! card installed. It worked fine under F7.
>
> I'm having problems with sound.

I had a similar problem with my SB Audigy card.

Do you have Pulseaudio installed?

If so, do you have a Pulseaudio output stream when you play some sound?

If both of these things are true, then right click on the Pulseaudio output stream and try selecting a different channel. I had two channels available; with one I hear sounds but with the other I do not. Guess which one was selected as the default.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Old 12-26-2007, 04:33 PM
"Frank Chiulli"

On Dec 26, 2007 7:34 AM, <zephod@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> ---- Frank Chiulli <frankc.fedora@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have an updated F8 box. I did a fresh install preserving /home. I
> > have a Sound Blaster Live! card installed. It worked fine under F7.
> >
> > I'm having problems with sound.
>
> I had a similar problem with my SB Audigy card.
>
> Do you have Pulseaudio installed?

Yes

> If so, do you have a Pulseaudio output stream when you play some sound?

Not sure how to do this.

> If both of these things are true, then right click on the Pulseaudio output stream and try selecting a different channel. I had two channels available; with one I hear sounds but with the other I do not. Guess which one was selected as the default.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Steve

If I select Applications -> Sound & Video -> PulseAudio Volume Control

In the Playback tab, it says "No Streams Available".

In the Output Devices tab, it lists:
ALSA PCM on hw:0

In the Input Devices tab, it lists the same thing.

Frank

Old 05-27-2008, 04:52 PM
zhh

Dear all
This evening my computer reboot unexpected because of my firefox's bug.
The same thing had happened several times before. But now strange thing
happened and my machine has no sound now.
I have input command "alsamixer" and it reply as below:

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory

what should I do now?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Nils Kassube

zhh wrote:
> This evening my computer reboot unexpected because of my firefox's
> bug. The same thing had happened several times before. But now strange
> thing happened and my machine has no sound now.

Others have reported sound problems with the latest kernel update. If you
have the 2.6.24-17 kernel running now (see output of "uname -r" in a
termianl) you could reboot and select the previous kernel 2.6.24-16.

Nils

Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 PM
"Marco Catunda"

Taking advantage about this issue.
Which the best compatible sound card for Ubuntu Linux?
My onboard sound have crashed.

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> zhh wrote:
>> This evening my computer reboot unexpected because of my firefox's
>> bug. The same thing had happened several times before. But now strange
>> thing happened and my machine has no sound now.
>
> Others have reported sound problems with the latest kernel update. If you
> have the 2.6.24-17 kernel running now (see output of "uname -r" in a
> termianl) you could reboot and select the previous kernel 2.6.24-16.
>

> Nils

Marco Catunda

Old 05-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Nils Kassube

Marco Catunda wrote:
> Which the best compatible sound card for Ubuntu Linux?
> My onboard sound have crashed.

There are so many - I don't think there is one which is best compatible.
Have a look at <http://www.alsa-project.org> and see if your favourite
card is supported.

Nils

Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 AM
Pastor JW

We have a problem with the sound after the recent kernel update. On the first
1525n everything works and on the second 1525n there is a red x and no sound.
When you open the mixer window and look in the help menu under hardware
information you find:
"sound drivers supported:ALSA + OSS"
"Sound drivers used: ALSA"
on the one which works. On the other one you find:
"sound drivers supported:ALSA + OSS"
"Sound drivers used: ALSAOSS"
"Experimental multiple-Driver mode activated"
and there is no sound. Both machines with kernel 2.6.24-21- generic. However,
if you boot the second machine into the prior 2.6.24-19 - generic the same
readout as the first machine is attained and then there is sound. With the
21 kernel it will also state there is no soundcard found. Both of these
machines are identical 1525n pre-installed Ubuntu machines. The first one
however was updated to 8.04 from 7.10 while the second was pre-installed with
8.04.

The manual says there is a kmixrc file which one can "enable" this multi
driver mode but the file does not have the line it says to put in there. Any
idea how to fix this?

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 10-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Frans

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:11:02 -0700, Pastor JW wrote:

> We have a problem with the sound after the recent kernel update. On the
> first 1525n everything works and on the second 1525n there is a red x
> and no sound. When you open the mixer window and look in the help menu
> under hardware information you find:
> "sound drivers supported:ALSA + OSS"
> "Sound drivers used: ALSA"
> on the one which works. On the other one you find: "sound drivers
> supported:ALSA + OSS"
> "Sound drivers used: ALSAOSS"
> "Experimental multiple-Driver mode activated" and there is no sound.
> Both machines with kernel 2.6.24-21- generic. However, if you boot the
> second machine into the prior 2.6.24-19 - generic the same readout as
> the first machine is attained and then there is sound. With the 21
> kernel it will also state there is no soundcard found. Both of these
> machines are identical 1525n pre-installed Ubuntu machines. The first
> one however was updated to 8.04 from 7.10 while the second was
> pre-installed with 8.04.
>
> The manual says there is a kmixrc file which one can "enable" this
> multi driver mode but the file does not have the line it says to put in
> there. Any idea how to fix this?

Is there an online version of this manual?

http://linux.dell.com/ might help.

Good luck!

-Frans

Old 11-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Karl Vanwynsberghe

Hi,

I'm currently running Kubuntu intrepid on my acer 6920.

Although it looks like kubuntu detected the sound system... there's no sound at all.

Any ideas?

:~$ aplay -I

aplay: playbackv:2424: You need to specify 1 files

tux@laptop:~$ aplay -L

default:CARD=Intel

HDA Intel, ALC889 Analog

Default Audio Device