Old 12-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Nigel Henry

Default playing DVDs with totem

On Tuesday 25 December 2007 19:29, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> just received a new DVD and wanted to play it. Fedora8 and totem said I
> didn't have the proper plugin. I already have gstreamer-ffmpeg and
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly from livna. Is gstreamer-plugins-bad also needed?
> I do not want to change to xine or mplayer if possible. This is the
> Simpsons Movie and is encrypted so libdvdcss is needed to.
>
> -Thanks

Hi Louis. VLC plays them ok. I've never had any success with totem, and gave
up on it.

Nigel.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 13:29:16 -0500
Louis E Garcia II <louisg00@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I do not want to change to xine or mplayer if possible.

Totem seems to be the least-capable video player out of the several choices
available.

I have been using mplayer "for everything" for the past few years and haven't
found any reason to use anything else.

yum remove totem totem-mozplugin
yum install mplayer mplayer-gui mplayer-fonts mplayerplug-in

Problem solved.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 19:47 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 December 2007 19:29, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> > just received a new DVD and wanted to play it. Fedora8 and totem said I
> > didn't have the proper plugin. I already have gstreamer-ffmpeg and
> > gstreamer-plugins-ugly from livna. Is gstreamer-plugins-bad also needed?
> > I do not want to change to xine or mplayer if possible. This is the
> > Simpsons Movie and is encrypted so libdvdcss is needed to.
> >
> > -Thanks
>
> Hi Louis. VLC plays them ok. I've never had any success with totem, and gave
> up on it.
>
> Nigel.

You need to get rid of totem and install totem-xine. The program still
executes as totem.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Martin Marques

Aaron Konstam escribió:

On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 19:47 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

On Tuesday 25 December 2007 19:29, Louis E Garcia II wrote:

just received a new DVD and wanted to play it. Fedora8 and totem said I
didn't have the proper plugin. I already have gstreamer-ffmpeg and
gstreamer-plugins-ugly from livna. Is gstreamer-plugins-bad also needed?
I do not want to change to xine or mplayer if possible. This is the
Simpsons Movie and is encrypted so libdvdcss is needed to.

-Thanks
Hi Louis. VLC plays them ok. I've never had any success with totem, and gave
up on it.

Nigel.

You need to get rid of totem and install totem-xine. The program still
executes as totem.

Then why is totem still there as a package?

Old 12-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Abhishek Rane

Frank Cox wrote:

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 13:29:16 -0500
Louis E Garcia II <louisg00@bellsouth.net> wrote:

I do not want to change to xine or mplayer if possible.

Totem seems to be the least-capable video player out of the several choices
available.

I have been using mplayer "for everything" for the past few years and haven't
found any reason to use anything else.

yum remove totem totem-mozplugin
yum install mplayer mplayer-gui mplayer-fonts mplayerplug-in

Problem solved.

Try removing the original totem that came with fedora 8 and installing
totem-xine its great and it plays everything

yum remove totem
then do
yum install totem-xine totem-xine-plparser libdvdcss libdvdnav
xine-lib-extras-nonfree

that's it !

Old 12-26-2007, 08:01 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Abhishek Rane wrote:

> Try removing the original totem that came with fedora 8 and installing
> totem-xine its great and it plays everything
> yum remove totem
> then do
> yum install totem-xine totem-xine-plparser libdvdcss libdvdnav
> xine-lib-extras-nonfree
> that's it !

this seems to have been the advice for quite some time now WRT fedora,
so one has to ask the question -- why does fedora continue to include
such a fundamentally useless player that lasts only as long as it
takes someone to replace it after installation with something that
actually works?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Abhishek Rane

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Abhishek Rane wrote:

Try removing the original totem that came with fedora 8 and installing
totem-xine its great and it plays everything
yum remove totem
then do
yum install totem-xine totem-xine-plparser libdvdcss libdvdnav
xine-lib-extras-nonfree
that's it !

this seems to have been the advice for quite some time now WRT fedora,
so one has to ask the question -- why does fedora continue to include
such a fundamentally useless player that lasts only as long as it
takes someone to replace it after installation with something that
actually works?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

It is not a useless player if you consider open formats of audio and
video..Fedora is ompletely free and opensource..Its for pure opensource
lovers for others there are distros like Ubuntu and OSs like windows
also AFAIK Ubuntu too comes with totem by default ! (correct me if I am
wrong) ...Totem is the default movieplayer in GNOME. totem-xine
basically gives totem the ability to play xine based videos.And the
other options like libdvdcss etc are just the codecs to play videos
which are licensed. Totem is very useful if you are into open codecs as
totem has features like TV-OUT,LIRC support et al. Personally i prefer
Totem over vlc which is a little difficult (for me) to work with as the
keyboard shortcuts of totem just blend with gnome.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:57 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Abhishek Rane wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Abhishek Rane wrote:
> >

> > > Try removing the original totem that came with fedora 8 and installing
> > > totem-xine its great and it plays everything
> > > yum remove totem
> > > then do
> > > yum install totem-xine totem-xine-plparser libdvdcss libdvdnav
> > > xine-lib-extras-nonfree
> > > that's it !
> > >

> > this seems to have been the advice for quite some time now WRT fedora,
> > so one has to ask the question -- why does fedora continue to include
> > such a fundamentally useless player that lasts only as long as it
> > takes someone to replace it after installation with something that
> > actually works?
> >
> > rday
> >

> > ================================================== ======================
> > Robert P. J. Day
> > Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry
> > Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
> >
> > http://crashcourse.ca
> > ================================================== ======================
> >
> It is not a useless player if you consider open formats of audio and
> video..Fedora is ompletely free and opensource..Its for pure
> opensource lovers for others there are distros like Ubuntu and OSs
> like windows also AFAIK Ubuntu too comes with totem by default !
> (correct me if I am wrong) ...Totem is the default movieplayer in
> GNOME. totem-xine basically gives totem the ability to play xine
> based videos.And the other options like libdvdcss etc are just the
> codecs to play videos which are licensed. Totem is very useful if
> you are into open codecs as totem has features like TV-OUT,LIRC
> support et al. Personally i prefer Totem over vlc which is a little
> difficult (for me) to work with as the keyboard shortcuts of totem
> just blend with gnome.

ok, granted i might have been a bit hyperbolic. but it *is* amusing
to count the number of times someone posts, complaining about how
totem doesn't play a particular format, to which the inevitable
response is, "dump it and replace it with totem-xine."

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 04:01 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> this seems to have been the advice for quite some time now WRT fedora,
> so one has to ask the question -- why does fedora continue to include
> such a fundamentally useless player that lasts only as long as it
> takes someone to replace it after installation with something that
> actually works?

It's not the player so much as the codecs. Even the usual replacements
can't play the usually unplayable files without adding un-free codecs.

Totem can be made to play those files, but it is such a basic
lowly-featured player that it's probably not good enough for everyone,
anyway. But, on the other hand, a simple player is what some people
want.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Abhishek Rane

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

[...]

Ha ha! ya true...totem-xine is really good...actually if every codec
becomes opensource then that would be possible soon :-) ...Then people
would totally shift to linux instead of windows!!!