Old 12-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Beartooth Sciurivore

Default jigdo : which??

Meseems I goofed, royally.

As described in an earlier thread, I got jigdo running (or so it
seemed) with two lines -- one of which, I later discovered, was being
written to /root (where I didn't want it; I had presumed I had to be root
to run jigdo), and one to my home directory.

I stopped the download to /root, and let the other run all
afternoon and all night. This morning, I finally realized it was telling
me it was working on a file with the name CD10 -- of, it seems, at least
17.

There probably really are people who *enjoy* swapping well over a
dozen CDs in and out; and yes, I too still have a machine with no DVD
drive. So I can see the reason they're made available.

To anyone who is old, and tired, and in poor health, an external
USB DVD drive is worth its weight in gold -- especially if each swap
means a trip up and down stairs, or else (at best) sitting otherwise
unoccupied through a whole install. And Fedora has recognized and used
such drives perfectly well for the last several releases.

So, apparently, I grabbed the wrong URL.

Looking closer, however, I see several whose names contain "DVD";
F8 went on one DVD at release; surely it still does. So how do I tell
which I want? In Particular, what is the difference between DVDx and DVD-
DLx??

Also, how long should it take? Given a right choice of URL for a
first use of jigdo, will it get a complete install DVD in about the time
a browser would? Appreciably more? Less?

Fedora 8; Alpine 0.99999, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.24, Firefox 2.0

Old 12-25-2007, 04:45 PM
"Kam Leo"

On Dec 25, 2007 9:06 AM, Beartooth Sciurivore <beartooth@swva.net> wrote:

> Meseems I goofed, royally.
>
> As described in an earlier thread, I got jigdo running (or so it
> seemed) with two lines -- one of which, I later discovered, was being
> written to /root (where I didn't want it; I had presumed I had to be root
> to run jigdo), and one to my home directory.
>
> I stopped the download to /root, and let the other run all
> afternoon and all night. This morning, I finally realized it was telling
> me it was working on a file with the name CD10 -- of, it seems, at least
> 17.
>
> There probably really are people who *enjoy* swapping well over a
> dozen CDs in and out; and yes, I too still have a machine with no DVD
> drive. So I can see the reason they're made available.
>
> To anyone who is old, and tired, and in poor health, an external
> USB DVD drive is worth its weight in gold -- especially if each swap
> means a trip up and down stairs, or else (at best) sitting otherwise
> unoccupied through a whole install. And Fedora has recognized and used
> such drives perfectly well for the last several releases.
>
> So, apparently, I grabbed the wrong URL.
>
> Looking closer, however, I see several whose names contain "DVD";
> F8 went on one DVD at release; surely it still does. So how do I tell
> which I want? In Particular, what is the difference between DVDx and DVD-
> DLx??

The info should be on every re-spin page. Unfortunately, it's not.

http://fedoraunity.org/news-archives/fedora-8-everything-spin-released

> Also, how long should it take? Given a right choice of URL for a
> first use of jigdo, will it get a complete install DVD in about the time
> a browser would? Appreciably more? Less?

It's comparable with BitTorrent.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Beartooth Sciurivore

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 09:45:12 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:

> On Dec 25, 2007 9:06 AM, Beartooth Sciurivore <beartooth@swva.net>
> wrote:
[...]
>> So, apparently, I grabbed the wrong URL.
>>
>> Looking closer, however, I see several whose names contain
>> "DVD";

>> F8 went on one DVD at release; surely it still does. So how do I tell
>> which I want? In Particular, what is the difference between DVDx and
>> DVD- DLx??
>
> The info should be on every re-spin page. Unfortunately, it's not.
>
> http://fedoraunity.org/news-archives/fedora-8-everything-spin-released

OK, thanks! I copied that onto the URL box in jigdo, and it said
almost at once it was finished -- with 34042 *bytes* downloaded. Now
what??

>> Also, how long should it take? [...]
>
> It's comparable with BitTorrent.

Then I'm definitely doing something grossly wrong -- likely one
of those things that's abundantly obvious *after* you see it ...