Old 12-25-2007, 02:48 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default sadly, i've lost all my sound again

after a recent(?) kernel upgrade, i've managed to lose all sound on
my gateway laptop. sound configuration seems fine, also:

$ lspci
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

and

$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_intel 274529 4
snd_seq_dummy 6725 0
snd_seq_oss 29889 0
snd_seq_midi_event 9793 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 44849 5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 10061 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss 37569 0
snd_mixer_oss 16705 2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 63685 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 20549 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 11337 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep 10309 1 snd_hda_intel
snd 43461 15
snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,s nd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwd ep
soundcore 9633 2 snd
$

i'm open to suggestions. thanks. and merry (linu)xmas.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-25-2007, 03:09 PM
"Colin Brace"

On Dec 25, 2007 4:48 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> i'm open to suggestions.

Why not reboot using an earlier kernel?

--
Colin Brace
Amsterdam

Old 12-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Nigel Henry

On Tuesday 25 December 2007 16:48, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> after a recent(?) kernel upgrade, i've managed to lose all sound on
> my gateway laptop. sound configuration seems fine, also:
>
> $ lspci
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
>
> and
>
> $ lsmod | grep snd
> snd_hda_intel 274529 4
> snd_seq_dummy 6725 0
> snd_seq_oss 29889 0
> snd_seq_midi_event 9793 1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq 44849 5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_device 10061 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd_pcm_oss 37569 0
> snd_mixer_oss 16705 2 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm 63685 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer 20549 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd_page_alloc 11337 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> snd_hwdep 10309 1 snd_hda_intel
> snd 43461 15
> snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,s nd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,
>snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep soundcore 9633 2 snd
> $
>
> i'm open to suggestions. thanks. and merry (linu)xmas.
>
> rday

Hi Robert. Sorry that your sound has gone into the bit bucket.

Have you still got an earlier kernel you can boot with, and see if the result
is the same? IIRC there were kernel version/s that had a problem with the
alsa driver.

Open alsamixer on the CLI, and check that nothing is muted, and sliders are
up.

Which Fedora version are you using? If it's F8, I might suspect pulseaudio,
but if sound was working before, maybe not.

Can you download, and run the script below, and post back the link to pastebin
that is created. This gives a lot of info about your sound setup. (make sure
to make it executable)
http://bulletproof.servebeer.com/alsa/scripts/alsa-info.sh

Did you have to set any model options for snd-hda-intel in /etc/modprobe.conf?

Just a few things to keep your mind occupied.

Nigel.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:58 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007, Colin Brace wrote:

> On Dec 25, 2007 4:48 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>
> > i'm open to suggestions.
>
> Why not reboot using an earlier kernel?

well, i could, but that would be cheating. :-) seriously, i recall
that this has happened before but i don't think i needed to do
anything to fix it, a newer kernel just solved the problem.

i'd rather track down the problem. when i try to run the sound test,
what i get is:

"Automatic detection of the sound card did not work. This audio
device will not be available on the system."

which then refers me to /root/scsconfig.log and /root/scsrun.log, so
i'm going to poke around there for a while. has no one else gone
through this as well?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-25-2007, 04:22 PM
David Boles

Old 12-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 11:58:29 -0500 (EST)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> has no one else gone through this as well?

I just went through this, setting up F8 on a brand new laptop with an Intel
Audio Controller.

After spending most of a day working on it, the magic combination that worked
for me was putting this into /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba

There are several different "model=" options that you can use, including
"3stack", "acer", "auto" and so on. Google will give you some of the others.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:52 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 11:58:29 -0500 (EST)
> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>
> > has no one else gone through this as well?
>
> I just went through this, setting up F8 on a brand new laptop with an Intel
> Audio Controller.
>
> After spending most of a day working on it, the magic combination that worked
> for me was putting this into /etc/modprobe.conf:
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba
>
> There are several different "model=" options that you can use, including
> "3stack", "acer", "auto" and so on. Google will give you some of the others.

ah, that actually sounds familiar. i'm a bit fuzzy this morning --
you don't want to know.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 12-26-2007, 03:57 AM
Antonio Olivares

This is awesome!!! This script may help track down errors in rawhide where sound is never taken for granted. I will share it with my rawhide colleagues. I have used it on a fedora 8 installation in which sound is working without pulseaudio hacks,

http://pastebin.ca/832410

Regards and Best Wishes for the New Year

Antonio

Old 12-26-2007, 09:04 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 11:58:29 -0500 (EST)
> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>
> > has no one else gone through this as well?
>
> I just went through this, setting up F8 on a brand new laptop with an Intel
> Audio Controller.
>
> After spending most of a day working on it, the magic combination that worked
> for me was putting this into /etc/modprobe.conf:
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba
>
> There are several different "model=" options that you can use, including
> "3stack", "acer", "auto" and so on. Google will give you some of the others.

weirdly, my sound just returned. and, no, i didn't reconfigure or
reboot or even tweak any alsa settings. it's a mystery, but maybe
it's a sign that i should dig into understanding the whole sound
system more thoroughly.

rday

p.s. beyond the docs at alsa-project.org, is there a more
fedora-centric tutorial on sound? i just like to collect these
HOWTOs. thanks.

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca