-   -   Compiling kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/22712-compiling-kernel.html)

"Fernando Apesteguía" 12-25-2007 11:28 AM

Compiling kernel

Hi all,

I have a problem when I try to compile the latest kernel for my FC6. I
downloaded kernel-2.6.22.14-72.fc6.src.rpm.
I'm following the instructions in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel?highlight=%28kernel%29
as I did successfully before.

However, now, when I reach point 6 under "Configuring kernel options"
I see, there are not config-<arch> files anymore (as there were with
the kernel-2.6.22.9-61) but only these two files:

config-rhel-generic config-rhel-x86-generic

What are these two RH Enterprise files for?

Why this changed?
Can any of you give me some ideas on how to compile the kernel in the
"Fedora way"?

Thanks in advance... and Merry Christmas!

12-05-2009 12:59 PM

Compiling kernel

Hello

I have a doubt about kernel compilation. Two days ago I compiled by hand
2.6.31.6 and it crashed during the boot process. The configuration was
made by hand, starting from the default configuration and perhaps I missed
something.

Since I had to restore my old slackware bakcup to recover some files and
information, I got a copy of the already running (at slack) 2.6.31.6
kernel configuration that is finely tuned for my desktop... my question
is: can I simply load such kernel configuration in the 'make xconfig' that
is working (same desktop and cpu configuration) and compile it with
debian? I mean, it is the same computer and hardware, the same kernel
version, etc.

More specific: Does Debian require a special kernel configuration due to
its libraries/configuration or am I able just to load the kernel config
and install it now on Debian? In theory it should work with any
distribution, as far as I know it should match only the hardware...

Thanks,
Miguel

Kumar Appaiah 12-05-2009 02:35 PM

Compiling kernel

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 06:59:48AM -0700, debian@toursbymexico.com wrote:
> I have a doubt about kernel compilation. Two days ago I compiled by hand
> 2.6.31.6 and it crashed during the boot process. The configuration was
> made by hand, starting from the default configuration and perhaps I missed
> something.
>
> Since I had to restore my old slackware bakcup to recover some files and
> information, I got a copy of the already running (at slack) 2.6.31.6
> kernel configuration that is finely tuned for my desktop... my question
> is: can I simply load such kernel configuration in the 'make xconfig' that
> is working (same desktop and cpu configuration) and compile it with
> debian? I mean, it is the same computer and hardware, the same kernel
> version, etc.

Yes. In addition, I would highly recommend using kernel-package to
compile your kernel to generate a deb. Here's a nice primer:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

> More specific: Does Debian require a special kernel configuration due to
> its libraries/configuration or am I able just to load the kernel config
> and install it now on Debian? In theory it should work with any
> distribution, as far as I know it should match only the hardware...

No. I use vanilla kernels with not problems. But I use kernel-package
to build a deb and install it, so that it does grub installation
etc. automagically.

HTH.

Kumar
--
The chat program is in public domain. This is not the GNU public license. If
it breaks then you get to keep both pieces.

Dave Witbrodt 12-05-2009 03:11 PM

Compiling kernel

Kumar Appaiah wrote:

[...]

I would recommend using the 'make-kpkg' command from the
"kernel-package" package as well. But I would not recommend following
this old web page document -- it is WAY out of date.

Read the documentation in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package after installing
it, or Google for a tutorial that is more recent.

Dave W.

Kumar Appaiah 12-05-2009 03:25 PM

Compiling kernel

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 11:11:08AM -0500, Dave Witbrodt wrote:
>> Yes. In addition, I would highly recommend using kernel-package to
>> compile your kernel to generate a deb. Here's a nice primer:
>>
>> http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
>
> I would recommend using the 'make-kpkg' command from the
> "kernel-package" package as well. But I would not recommend following
> this old web page document -- it is WAY out of date.
>
> Read the documentation in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package after installing
> it, or Google for a tutorial that is more recent.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Kumar
--
Old MacLinus had a stack/l-i-n-u-x/and on this stack he had a trace/l-i-n-u-x
with an Oops-Oops here and an Oops-Oops there

Masoom Siddiqui 09-14-2010 04:07 PM

Compiling Kernel

Hi,

Did anyone ever had the need to compile kernel for specific reasons? I'd
like to know of possible scenarios where a company requires something
specific. I'm guessing this would be beyond web and email hosting.

"Geofrey Rainey" 09-14-2010 08:06 PM

Compiling Kernel

If you'd like a kernel containing only the drivers specific to the
hardware and excluding all others, for performance reasons perhaps, this
would be one example of kernel recompile.

online at tvnz.co.nz

Dustin Larmeir 09-14-2010 08:08 PM

Compiling Kernel